Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
2016 Honda Civic Type R

This is the definitive production version of the Honda Civic Type R, the fastest and most powerful front-wheel-drive hot hatch in existence: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...ch-pace’

http://jalopnik.com/2016-honda-civic...-it-1688867818

http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-honda-c...-vt-1688953678

Autocar has details on what they're calling the fastest and most powerful front-wheel drive hot hatchback in existence. The 310 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque at just 2500 RPM (in a Honda! Jesus!) come from a 2.0-liter turbocharged i-VTEC four. The zero to 62 mph (100 km/hr) dash happens in 5.7 seconds, and top speed is 167 mph.

To help the car get its prodigious reserves to the road, it gets a special ‘Dual Axis Strut’ front suspension system and a mechanical limited-slip differential. An extensive aerodynamic package also features to complete the Civic Type R’s extreme track-bred positioning.

The most dominant feature in the Civic Type R is its new VTEC engine. The direct-injection turbo unit’s 306bhp arrives at 6500rpm and peak torque of 295lb ft is at 2500rpm. The engine hits the redline at 7000rpm.

The 2.0-litre engine drives the front wheels through a six-speed manual gearbox. There is no automatic option. The 0-62mph time and top speed are both class-leading.

Honda says the Civic Type R has been fitted with “a number of innovative new suspension systems” that are designed to “maximise power transfer to the road”.

Chief among them is that Dual Axis Strut front suspension system, which is similar to Ford’s RevoKnuckle system. It’s a version of a MacPherson strut front suspension set-up that features an additional steering knuckle, so the wheel steers around a point closer to its centre line, reducing torque steer by up to 50% compared with a standard Civic, according to Honda.

The rear suspension is an H-shaped torsion beam design but has been modified over the standard Civic’s to include a new ‘crushed pipe’, which, Honda says, improves roll rigidity by 180%, and enhances high-speed corner stability. Adaptive dampers also feature at each corner and the electric steering has been retuned for greater response and feel.

To access the full potential of the chassis and powertrain, Honda has equipped the Civic Type R with a ‘+R’ driving mode. This increases engine response, provides more aggressive torque mapping, reduces the assistance on the steering and firms up the dampers by 30%.

Stopping power is provided by bespoke high-performance Brembo brakes, which feature four-piston calipers and drilled discs that measure 350mm in diameter at the front. The brakes sit behind 19in wheels shod with 235/35 tyres made of a bespoke compound.

Chassis tuning for the Civic Type R has taken place at the Nürburgring and Suzuka circuits, as well as at Honda’s own Takasu test track in Japan. The Nürburgring is significant because Honda has stated its desire for the Type R to be the fastest front-wheel-drive car to lap the circuit, eclipsing the Renault Mégane RS 275 Trophy-R’s 7min 54sec.

Extensive aerodynamic work has taken place in the wind tunnel at Honda’s dedicated motorsport facility in Sakura, Japan, where it develops its Formula 1 engines.

The result is exterior styling that has been heavily influenced by aerodynamic demands. Most striking is the large, fixed rear wing, which has been redesigned from that of the Civic Type R concept car seen at the Geneva and Paris motor shows of 2014. Its height, shape, angle and end plates have all been modified to provide enough downforce without compromising drag at higher speeds.

Also notable at the rear is the large diffuser, which works with the flat underside to ‘suck’ the car to the road. There are four exhaust tips, two on each side of the car, and a more aggressive-looking rear bumper design.

Other new design features compared with the standard Civic on which the Type R is based include a new front bumper that has been shaped to reduce turbulence around the front wheels, a wide front splitter, flared wheel arches, which at the front allow air in as extra cooling for the engine, and larger front grilles, also for increased cooling. Further outlet vents for the engine feature on top of the front wings.

There are five exterior colour choices offered on the Civic Type R, including the Championship White colour seen here and shared with other Type R models.

The sporty interior features sports seats trimmed in a suede-effect fabric, a gearknob machined from an aluminium alloy, black headlining and black trim with red double stitching.

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
How can 0-62 in 5.7 be class leading? Not a hot hatch expert at all but the Focus RS, Golf R and STI all hit 60 in under 5 seconds.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Interesting, but isn't the Ford Focus RS supposed to be 320 HP and 320 TQ? That combined with AWD will probably be a bigger hit for the target market. That being said, I think I like the aggressive look of the Civic-R more than the Focus.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
How can 0-62 in 5.7 be class leading? Not a hot hatch expert at all but the Focus RS, Golf R and STI all hit 60 in under 5 seconds.
I wonder if they mean 4.7 sec.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
A nice Honda but about the same 0 - 60 as a 2.0t ATS with 20 less HP.

I wouldn't mind doing a FWD burn out in one though.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I wonder if they mean 4.7 sec.
That would make sense
Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Looks cool.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
They are all AWD. I'm guessing that this Honda is saying "class leading" in FWD only.

310 hp/ 295 lb-ft tq in a FWD hatch is a lot, and a whole lot coming from Honda! Not use to seeing torque ratings like that from Honda from the factory!

This would be an excellent motor to go in a S2000 successor if they're thinking about it.

I'm extremely surprised that the Type R is available in 6 speed manual only. Especially since Honda has a new 9 Speed auto and 8 speed DCT

Last edited by King T; 03-02-2015 at 11:50 PM.
King T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #9
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Quote:
That being said, I think I like the aggressive look of the Civic-R more than the Focus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
Looks cool.
This Civic Type R has turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to. Looks good!

Wish Chevy did a Cruze SS, would love one for a DD

I wonder if Chrysler is still going to do the SRT Dart? It was suppose to be a 300hp, AWD turbo 4.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #10
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Not feeling it, that front wheel clip reminds me of every poorly installed ricer body kit I have ever seen. Yes, it is functional, but it should flow better.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
This Civic Type R has turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to. Looks good!

Wish Chevy did a Cruze SS, would love one for a DD

I wonder if Chrysler is still going to do the SRT Dart? It was suppose to be a 300hp, AWD turbo 4.
100% agreed! Hey GM, where is my Cruze SS? My next DD would be an SS in place of my current Cruze RS. At least 275hp with aggressive styling inside and out for around $25-30k. Make it happen.
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #12
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Interesting, but isn't the Ford Focus RS supposed to be 320 HP and 320 TQ? That combined with AWD will probably be a bigger hit for the target market. That being said, I think I like the aggressive look of the Civic-R more than the Focus.
Im the opposite I love the more subtle look of the Ford RS and the ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Not feeling it, that front wheel clip reminds me of every poorly installed ricer body kit I have ever seen. Yes, it is functional, but it should flow better.
This ^ my first thought when I saw this was that is one ugly MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
100% agreed! Hey GM, where is my Cruze SS? My next DD would be an SS in place of my current Cruze RS. At least 275hp with aggressive styling inside and out for around $25-30k. Make it happen.
I am very surprised that GM has not thrown its hat in the ring yet
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
The latest news from Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/03/h...r-geneva-2015/

Plus it's for the Euro market this summer... no immediate confirmation (nor official denial) yet regarding the US market release but it doesn't look promising...

2016 Honda Civic Type R Debuts: It's Your Everyday 168-mph Civic- For Euro eyes only comes this speedy compact. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
runs 7:50 around the Ring

granted, not a production car. Im not sure how different the production car is.