Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
CamaroPWNS
Want:2012 SS/RS Dusk Vert

Drives: 1997 Chevy Malibu
You wont have to worry about anything, unless you decide to drive in walls, trees, etc, my 97 Malibu still works good (even though I'm rough on it cause I only need it to last till next year, It was my Great Grandmas but she bought and 09 Malibu so I got hers, the 09 is still in perfect condition also), my mom's 02 Silverado still is in nearly perfect condition.

Now my step dad's 01 Camry is screwed up.

And I'll have my SS Next year, only car's I like are Chevy.

Planing on getting a 2012 SS/RS Dusk Convertible.
CamaroPWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
I just purchased a 2010 2SS/RS and its too new to comment on but i also have a 1990 Camaro RS which is approaching 300K miles and NO problems other that the typical required maintenance and a few water pumps,alternators,clutch......not bad for 20years of service!!
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post

no problems with my Camaro...and in the last 10 years of owning chevy's, I've had a fuel gauge sending unit and an smog check valve replaced...both under warranty. No other issues what-so-ever.

The other new cars I've owned...a nissan w/ AC problems that were fixed by the dealer 3 times in a year, and a Subaru that had a blown head gasket 2,000 miles after the warranty expired. Chevy FTW.

Also remind your dad of the standard 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and onstar...just in case.
HAHA It was the AC Compressor at like 40K miles on my Subaru!

And 1700 bucks later....
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4U2010 View Post
Any vehicle will break down, if you do not take care of it. No matter how much you pay for it.
On point.

6248 miles on the Camaro, no problems.. over 450k on 4 other LS Trans Am's with no issues other than 02 sensors, regular wear items.

If you invest in preventive maintenance, it will pay off.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
One thing I noticed is a lot of the so-called "reliable" imports have these crazy maintenance schedules that you must adhere to to keep the warranty valid, and they mostly force you into costly preventative maintenance procedures that prevent the car from "breaking down" but wind up costing as much or more than a breakdown/repair bill.

For example, you can replace the timing chain at 60,000 miles in an import, and never break down, or you can drive a domestic until the chain breaks at 100,000 and have it towed in and replaced.

The perception is that the import never broke down so it's more reliable.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Flawless after 3200 miles! Keep getting slightly better mileage, car feels great!
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Meh. Read consumer reports and JD Power if you need convincing. Yeah CHevy may not be top 10, but... It's Chevrolet. This isn;t a no-name European or Korean car..
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmys525 View Post
My dad is dead set on Chevy being unreliable after the 5 years because when he bought one it broke down and required numerous maintenance.
Is the camaro reliable at all meaning it won't break down after 5 years or need to be fixed a lot?
Some of the test cars were driven over 200,000 miles each within a year. They come with an industry-leading warranty, and GM quality rates as high or higher than Toyota in every legitimate quality study out there. Not to mention warranty repair claims have been cut in HALF over the past few years.

The car makes use of tried-and-true powertrain parts sourced from the Corvette...and it's V6 engine (found in such high-profile cars as the Cadillac CTS) has been on Ward's ten-best engines list two years in a row. It's also produced at the second-highest ranking assembly plant on the continent...so, besides your oddball issues (which are bound to happen on every car), I don't think you'll have any issues with quality.

The bottom line though....if you take time to take care of your car...no matter what the make/model...it can and will last forever. People all the time ask if I just bought my car (that I bought two years ago)...because a little TLC now and again keeps it looking newer than it did in the showroom!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
'97 Z28, 120k on original plugs wires, and all, replaced battery and belts and hoses.
Thats it except for brakes oil changes etc.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #24
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
If you own any car, after five years it will need work! I had a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville and had 225230 miles on it when I sold it earlier this year. I needed a little extra money for the down paymeny on the "Beast". The only reason I sold it and not the Toyota Tercel is that the Pontiac was and still is worth more than the Toyota. I am so sick of people comparing Toyotas to anything GM. It's like comparing apples to raisins.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
I am so sick of people comparing Toyotas to anything GM. It's like comparing apples to raisins.

With toyotas being the wrinkly little brown things, yes?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
iBK3000

Drives: '04 Range Rover, Camaro 2SS 6MT
two words, "preventative maintenance"
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #27
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
it's a new car so this is partly an unknown question. However the LS3 is a well known and proven engine. Will A/C go out ? power window motors, wiper motors, ect. who knows. I have owned hondas and chevys and fords and they all break down after a while. I have had 3 different hondas and my oddesy van which is highly rated blew transmissions at a regular clip, had 3 tranny's replaced by honda under warranty. Had an Accura Integra and honestly that was the biggest piece of crap car I ever owned, blew a head gasket at 50K miles, numerous fuel pumps, ignitors, clutch issues, electronics, etc. you name it and when that car broke it simply died and left me on the side of the road. Worst car ever period.

I don't think car quality from anybody is as good as it used to be, all my cars break at one point or another with something. My 74 SS Nova I had in high school/college was probably the most reliable car I ever had. Never broke down and ran like a champ.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #28
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Buy American...

I don't understand why people continue to buy foreign...