Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
FUN4JT

Drives: 2010 SSRS, Victory Red, 6 speed
With the exception of final color sanding and polishing the face plate the sub enclosure is complete. Reduced the volume from 2 cu ft to 1.33 cu ft and applied 3 coats of sound coat inside and outside as well as applying internal damping behind the sub. Just about complete with the amp rack, just need to determine the spacer locations for mounting the amp rack and cover with Alcantara. For securing the amp to the trunk floor I'm bonding "T" nuts to the trunk foor with the appropriate size spacer between the "T" nut and amp rack - from here 1/4 20 bolts will fasten the rack to the "T" nuts. Need to mount the power distribution panel - will probably bond L brackets (no holes in the trunk!) to the trunk floor. Have the MS-8 panel ready to mount between the rear deck speakers - again utilizing "T" nuts bonded to the rear deck. Hope to get the trunk area complete by this weekend including the rest of the trunk damping. I'll let the pictures describe my progress to date...
Attached Images

FUN4JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
I find that, that does not suck in the least bit!!!!!
Very very cool!!!!!!
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
very nice
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
FUN4JT

Thanks Moriartii, Seddon!
Seddon - regarding how the MS-8 is vs the Bit-1, can't tell you yet as this is my first experience with the MS-8. With the adjustability of the Audison amps and the MS-8 I should have enough tuning flexibility. Going to be fun!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
Good Job - looks like a lot of fun!
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
Babygirl

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Got to love fiberglas.
Babygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #21
FUN4JT

Made a bit more progress this weekend. Power wiring is done, MS-8 mtg brd. is complete and ready for final securing (after I strip the interior panels :() and the amp rack is ready for covering once I complete the painting of the amps. Ran short on paint so will have wait until next weekend to finish the paint work. Did finish the tweeter pods so they are ready once I attack the doors. Till next weekend...
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
AWESOME! Keep the progress pictures coming. Great job...
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #23
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Great build and equipment.
I'm considering replacing my bitone with an MS-8 and I was wondering what your experience with it is like. Is it easy to setup and does it work as advertised?
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
FUN4JT

ciandrew - This is my first experience with the MS-8. After reading copious reviews of the DQX, Bit-1 and MS-8 as well as discussion with folks with experience with these units it came down to the auto set-up option of the MS-8. This along with the interface and center channel features of the MS-8. I know some folks object to the MS-8's "canned" slopes but I think I can tweak this via the Audison's tuning capability. Also I rather spend 8 hours fine tuning versus 40 hrs or more dialing in the system.
I can always change it if it doesn't meet my expectations.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #25
SWRocket

So I finally got the MS-8 and am going through the install. Did you end up using the Sub outputs from the BA amp or just the two fronts? The MS-8 docs say to connect the sub output from the factory amp to channel 7 ot 8...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #26
FUN4JT

CIANDREW - The initial plan is to use the speaker level outputs from the front speakers as I believe the output is full range and this would be the simplest setup. But I will try configuring with the low level output (pre BA amp) as well as utilizing the BA sub outputs to see what produces the best sound.
I've been busy with other projects (domestic duties) but I should complete the wiring this weekend.
I'd be interested in your findings with the MS-8, keep me posted.

JT

Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #27
FUN4JT

Well with holidays, domestic and work related duties I'm finally ready to power up my system tonight. Sorry for the lack of progress reports but my home computer is stuck in never never land thanks to Microsofts routine updates. Here's a couple of pics from my phone of the sub, amps and MS-8, will post the remaining build pic's once I unf#$k my home computer.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #28
SWRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN4JT View Post
CIANDREW - The initial plan is to use the speaker level outputs from the front speakers as I believe the output is full range and this would be the simplest setup. But I will try configuring with the low level output (pre BA amp) as well as utilizing the BA sub outputs to see what produces the best sound.
I've been busy with other projects (domestic duties) but I should complete the wiring this weekend.
I'd be interested in your findings with the MS-8, keep me posted.

JT

Hi JT,
I really like your color matched equipment

I have the MS-8 installed for a while now and I have to say that although the front stage is nicely centered, the sound is not as good as what the BitOne put out with a pro tune.
I have the high level outputs from the BA going to the MS-8 and then low level outputs from MS-8 1-4 going to an ARC SE4200 for the front stage (HAT Clarus 6 mids and L1V2 tweets) and output 7 going to an ARC SE2300 for a single 12" sub (Morel Ultimo.) The front speaker are activily crossed over in the MS-8 not on the amp; the amp is full range.
My cross over point for the sub is at 100 because there is no seperate cross over for mids on the low end so when I had the sub at 60 (where it should be) the mids were dying. I wish you could set the sub at 60 and the mids at 120 (the tweets are crossed over at 5500,) but you can't and that's a big fail for the MS-8 in my opinion.

From a pure SQ perspective the BitOne is much better. However, it is flaky and tends to spike the outputs or crash completely which can (and did) cause damage to the amps. And, it requires a professional tuner with an RTA and stuff.

I'll have to play with EQ on the MS-8 and try various things to see if I can get my sound back to where I like it. Right now there is a funny echo in the midrange and I can't figure out why.

Andrew