Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #29
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
I have heard the morel subs and love them. I am currently running 1 hertz hx 250d, and 2 sets of hertz hsk 165xl. I love the audsion amps but got a great deal and the hertz ep1d and the hertz ep4x. I am under powering my components but it sounds pretty.

What are your impressions of the ms-8 i am using the bit one and love it.
those high energy woofers and components are awesome. if you were to run them off of a audison amp you will notice a big difference. the ep is fine for the xl. only problem is you are not getting there potential. reason i say that is i ran short money and for right now just for tunes i have a kenwood amp running my xl's

i am also running the xl's in my camaro but only in the front, i am doing a rear delete. now i am not sure who sold you the equipment but my buddys shop if you buy from him and you want to upgrade lets say your amps all you do is return the old amps and pay the difference for the new ones, same with the speakers.

if you do not mind me asking how much did you pay for everything?
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #30
shevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN4JT View Post
Finally installing my system. After building a sub box for a friend I got the initiative to finish my system.
Gear to be installed -
Audison VRX 1.5 sub amp
Audison VRX 2.4 front end amp
JBL MS-8 Processor
Morel Supremo 6" Mid bass
Morel Piccolo Tweets
Morel CDM 54 Mid (center)
Morel 12" Ultimo SC Sub

Just started on the sub enclosure (sorry about the phone pic's, will post better shots later) and will use the battery well for the enclosure. Targeting 1.25 cuft for the enclosure size.
The tweeter pods are build to fit in the stock location but I may move to the A pillars depending on how well they image in the stock locations.
Mid bass enclosures are build, just need to water proof and install. I'll post pic's of the tweeter pods as well as the various steps of the process as i proceed.

This is looking back from the driver's seat.
what year are your audison amps?

also do you work at a shop or is this at home, and if so where did you get your resin to do the fiberglass. also i love your set up. i might copy your idea for space or i might just go nuts and build a wall in the back seat.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #31
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
very nice. Good clean install.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #32
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
Looking nice. I like the colormatch on the VRx amps, sweetens it up.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #33
FUN4JT

Drives: 2010 SSRS, Victory Red, 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciandrew View Post
Hi JT,
I really like your color matched equipment

I have the MS-8 installed for a while now and I have to say that although the front stage is nicely centered, the sound is not as good as what the BitOne put out with a pro tune.
I have the high level outputs from the BA going to the MS-8 and then low level outputs from MS-8 1-4 going to an ARC SE4200 for the front stage (HAT Clarus 6 mids and L1V2 tweets) and output 7 going to an ARC SE2300 for a single 12" sub (Morel Ultimo.) The front speaker are activily crossed over in the MS-8 not on the amp; the amp is full range.
My cross over point for the sub is at 100 because there is no seperate cross over for mids on the low end so when I had the sub at 60 (where it should be) the mids were dying. I wish you could set the sub at 60 and the mids at 120 (the tweets are crossed over at 5500,) but you can't and that's a big fail for the MS-8 in my opinion.

From a pure SQ perspective the BitOne is much better. However, it is flaky and tends to spike the outputs or crash completely which can (and did) cause damage to the amps. And, it requires a professional tuner with an RTA and stuff.

I'll have to play with EQ on the MS-8 and try various things to see if I can get my sound back to where I like it. Right now there is a funny echo in the midrange and I can't figure out why.

Andrew
Andrew - thanks for the insight. Yeah I agree with some of the limitations. I'm crossing the sub (Ultimo SC) over to the mid bass (Morel Supremo) over at 80hz with the high pass @ (Piccolo's) 1900HZ, this at the amps. My thinking is to control the x-over points with the amp and attempt to mirror with the MS-8 where possible. As I'm still dialing in the setup (started late last night)I can't comment yet on the results yet.
I considered the Bit-1 (I have an RTA I use for my home system) but I thought I'd give the MS-8 a shot, let it do the bulk of the work.
FUN4JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #34
FUN4JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
what year are your audison amps?

also do you work at a shop or is this at home, and if so where did you get your resin to do the fiberglass. also i love your set up. i might copy your idea for space or i might just go nuts and build a wall in the back seat.

Shevyman - Thanks for the complement!
I purchased these amps in 2005 for another vehicle (F150 4X4) along with a nakamichi cd 700ii driving Focal Utopia's (sweet system).

I do all my own work when ever possible - I'm some what talented with my hands and fortunate enough to have the right tools. About the only thing I have not done is sewing upholstery and that because I don't have the sewing machine. (YET !)
I purchase my glass materials from Tap plastics in San Jose - a little expensive but they have a comprehensive selection.
If you decide to use the battery enclosure for you sub I can offer a few tips. Cheers - Jim
Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #35
FUN4JT

Thanks Zach and Black!
The red definitely looks better than the Audison blue, at least in this car.
Still have to color sand and polish the sub plate and finish up the amp rack border (hides the mtg screws for the amp end caps).
Once I get my home system back up and running (F!@#$@#% Microsoft) I'll post the rest of the pics.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #36
shevyman

well thank you for the info. i wish i were that handy with my hands. well i might be i just never tried.
so for what you did how much did it cost you in materials to make the box, also the plate that you have your fuse block on what is that made out of? i am really liking your clean work and its giving me some ideas.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #37
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
Looks great Fun4JT - I am sure it sounds awesome! I have the MS-8 and love the way it improves the sound in my SS.

Thanks for Sharing
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
Veritasz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
ciandrew..Try using a 24 db slope on your sub and using an 18 or 12 db slope on your mid..This may give the mid more roll off to help you situation..
Veritasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #39
FUN4JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
well thank you for the info. i wish i were that handy with my hands. well i might be i just never tried.
so for what you did how much did it cost you in materials to make the box, also the plate that you have your fuse block on what is that made out of? i am really liking your clean work and its giving me some ideas.
Shevyman
I probably have $150 into the box considering the fibreglass mat, resin and MDF. It's difficult to quantify as I didn't consume all of the material purchased just for the sub box.
The fuse block is made from 1/2 MDF which I shaped to fit and painted.
I appreciate the positive comments - makes it worthwhile!

JT
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #40
shevyman

well whe i was asking how much did you spend i meant in all materials. not how much of it you used. cause i mean 150 sounds good for me that i would want to order the stuff and start working on my car.

i just wish i was patient and not lazy and would go out and buy the stuff and do something for my audio.lol i am focusing on what to do how many subs how many amps and also where to put it all, i also have a air bag system so figuring if i should show the set up or not. to bad you are not close to me or i would ask you for help. lol
Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #41
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasz View Post
ciandrew..Try using a 24 db slope on your sub and using an 18 or 12 db slope on your mid..This may give the mid more roll off to help you situation..
Thanks Veritasz.
So you think I should leave the sub at 60hz with 24DB slope and the Mid at 60Hz with 12DB slope or leave the xover at 100 and just adjust the slopes?
I must have missed something during the setup because I can't remember seeing seperate slopes for the sub and mid, but I'm going to start from scratch this weekend and redo everything after a factory reset. I'll try you suggestion then.
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #42
FUN4JT

ciandrew - yep you can set the slopes differently for the sub and mid via the MS-8. I agree with Veritasz with the 24db slope - this and the slower roll off of the mid may help fill the gap. I may have missed something here but why are you setting the low pass at 120HZ on the mid bass? Have you tried setting the mid-bass below 100hz? JT