Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
oil loss

Im sure this is everyones least favorite thread to hear about lol

Ive had it with my v6 and losing oil. As ive posted before ive had oil consumptions issues since the very first oil change. Well lately its all came to a head. I changed my oil in mid January and 5k miles and since then ive had to add about 1.5 qts, which is whatever. but tonight I went to do my oil change and I only drained about 3.5 qts! This is complete garbage. Ive already did a oil consumption test with a chevy dealership around 2 years ago and they said I was within spec. but they only tested up to 2k miles and from what I can tell it seems to happen more around 3k+ miles. I only have one year left on my powertrain warranty.

Its like driving a ticking time bomb of when my engines gonna seize. It very easily could have happened today while I was driving around on only 3.5 qts! My car did seem sluggish today and not just cause it was hot out. And before anyone says I need to check my oil more often, I do! Like I said ive already added atleast 1.5qts in the last 5 months. I added the last little bit like 2 weeks ago. Im gonna go back to chevy tomorrow and see what my options are but this is unacceptable. While im driving my family around vegas in 100+ degree weather the last thing I want it to be stranded cause my only 3 year old car seized up.

looking for ideas and options on what I can do, I would trade up and take my loss but unfortunately my credit went south for some uncontrollable sitsuations and Its not an option at this point I don't think. Sorry for the long post im just super frustrated and pissed lol
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Sorry to hear about your issue.

I would take it back to the dealer, one you trust and tell them your story. Nobody on this forum will be able to help you with your situation.

If you are not satisified with what the dealer does for you contact the next level up and discuss it with the regioanl manager.

You should not be losing that much oil, IMHO.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue.

I would take it back to the dealer, one you trust and tell them your story. Nobody on this forum will be able to help you with your situation.

If you are not satisified with what the dealer does for you contact the next level up and discuss it with the regioanl manager.

You should not be losing that much oil, IMHO.
Think we all agree, that a modern car should not be losing this much oil and it's plain unacceptable... but IIRC, doesn't the owners manual say that using 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles is "within spec"?

Feel bad for OP... good luck!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
'11CamaroLS

I'm gonna go to a dealership I went before for oil consumption test. I guess what I wanna know is what could have been damaged running that low on oil? I know timing chains get starved they can stretch right? And it can destroy rod bearings, one question is with rod bearings when it gets starved of oil do they go out or can I damage them and not know it? Even if I start doing oil changes every 2.5-3k miles ( which i think is a stupid thing to have to do with full synthetic oil in a new car) could I have already messed something up, or if its running good I'm OK?

Last edited by '11CamaroLS; 05-30-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
how did you drive the car the first 1500 miles?

you can try with the dealer but I bet they'll keep saying you're in spec.

I would just change the oil every 3,000 miles... or at least check it and top it off. I have a V6 SRX that does the same thing but it runs flawless otherwise. you're just banging your head against the wall wanting it 100% perfect. seems like it's luck of the draw... some GM V6 engines just use oil.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
'11CamaroLS

First 1k miles I drove it easy, not super babying it but not shifting in to high of rpms
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
First if not the noise you'll hear when bearings go out. It will be your oil pressure reading on the low side. If you still not sure, you can get the oil tested form metal contamination
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Damn OP that sucks!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
A few months ago, my oil dried up and the engine went south. GM paid for the bottom end to be rebuilt. Thank goodness, I had the extended warranty. I too previously had the oil consumption test performed to be told "everything is within spec". They never did tell me what the root of the problem was/is. I agree with you OP, this should not happen on a modern car. Lesson learned for me: Check your oil frequently.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I check my oil every week, that's about 300 miles. Checking it two or three times in 5000 is nuts. My car burns 1qt every 1500 miles, no acceptions, since day one, November 2010. For your car to be 2.5qts low that's about 2500 to 3000 miles. Check U Oil.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
That is one of the main reasons I traded up to a Super Sport. Even if you constantly add oil, all that oil getting burned up puts a lot of wear on engine and exhaust components. Think about it you've needed 4 quarts since your last oil change. If you poured that amount of oil into your gas tank you'd do damage.
I remember when I was real young my father started me on mowing the lawn. One day it was low on gas so I filled it up but I used his mixture for the leaf blower which was a gas oil mixture. That lawn mower stopped working weeks later.
My SS hasn't used a drop of oil in 6,000 miles. I remember having to add about 1.5 quarts between 4-5,000 mile oil changes on my LLT. Every time I check my oil now I sadly get surprised because its actually what it was the last time.
Definitely get a catch can if you plan on keeping it long term. I know everyone on here praises them like they are the second coming of Jesus but from my experience it is not catching all the oil so IMO its a bit of a band aid. The amount it was catching was still much lower than half the amount I had to keep adding. You also definitely need to Seafoam every 35,000 miles or so.
So calculate if having what is in reality a VERY high maintenance car is worth it to you and make your decision.
Good luck!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I must of got a good one, just checked my oil the other day and its still full, around 3k miles since the last change and 29k on the car total.
I do add some 10-30 in the summer change.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
'11CamaroLS

Considering I was 2.5 qrts short of 6 when changed and I had already added 1.5 qrts before the oil change, I went thru 4 qrts in 5k miles. I know GMs gonna say its within spec and that's what's super frustrating. I already think its not worth the high maintenance, but like I said I can't get another car loan, my credit went to $hit
Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11CamaroLS View Post
Considering I was 2.5 qrts short of 6 when changed and I had already added 1.5 qrts before the oil change, I went thru 4 qrts in 5k miles. I know GMs gonna say its within spec and that's what's super frustrating. I already think its not worth the high maintenance, but like I said I can't get another car loan, my credit went to $hit
Why not? Sure your credit probably took a hit when you got it but as long as you've made 100% on time payments on all your lines of credit and haven't take on too much more debt since then your credit score is probably back to normal if not higher in three years. I'm relatively young at 24 and mine took a hit when I bought my SS last summer but it is already back to where it was. You should be good to go.
I definitely believe some of the LLTs are probably solid. I think they need to be broken in very hard right after they are dropped into the car. I drove my soft when I bought it new with 23 miles and when I had my engine rebuilt the dealer test drove it soft for 15-20 miles and I drove it soft for another 100.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote