Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Would you accept a repaint of a brand new car?
Yes 35 20.96%
No 132 79.04%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2016, 06:03 AM   #43
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I think you should contact a lawyer. Look on the corvette forum if you don't know where to start. There were guys that that really took it to GM when their C7's with automatic transmissions failed and they got replacements. I think they only got manuals and no refund for the auto option. When they start having to worry about paying legal fees, which will likely exceed the net cost of replacing your car (which will end up being re-sold at auction if it's taken back), you will get some action. No one is going to take you seriously until you hire a lawyer unfortunately. Yes, managers will get annoyed with dealing with this issue, but that's what their bosses are paying them for - to deal with the headaches. Time to make it their boss' headache if you can swing it.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #44
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I can help in 2 ways!
My job for the last 25 years has been in Automotive Paint....my Grandfather was one of the best SHOW CAR Painters in the State, and had guys bringing him cars from across the Country while he was alive and Painting!

I also had my 05 GTO Fully repainted at GM's expense!

A good paint shop and painter can put on a much better paint job, than a factory can....why do you think Some of the Top $$ car makers paint by hand?
Most New "Single Owner" Paint shops have treated air, downdraft, high temp ovens, and all the new technology!
Automotive Paint shops now, like GM, have robot operators with LIMITED paint knowledge.
Very few people can tell differences in Mottle, Dry Paint, Strike In, and Thin Base, or fine thinner pop, small dirt, or fine splatter! Most highly trained painters easily know the difference!
My Silver GTO had the same issues as your car...I knew what I was talking about with them and made the GM Reps look foolish...GM authorized me to take my car to anyone that I picked...I chose a nearby shop that specializes in show cars...THE PAINT JOB ON MY GTO IS "SHOW WINNING" STILL TO THIS DAY! That is one reason why I kept this car.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #45
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I can help in 2 ways!
My job for the last 25 years has been in Automotive Paint....my Grandfather was one of the best SHOW CAR Painters in the State, and had guys bringing him cars from across the Country while he was alive and Painting!

I also had my 05 GTO Fully repainted at GM's expense!

A good paint shop and painter can put on a much better paint job, than a factory can....why do you think Some of the Top $$ car makers paint by hand?
Most New "Single Owner" Paint shops have treated air, downdraft, high temp ovens, and all the new technology!
Automotive Paint shops now, like GM, have robot operators with LIMITED paint knowledge.
Very few people can tell differences in Mottle, Dry Paint, Strike In, and Thin Base, or fine thinner pop, small dirt, or fine splatter! Most highly trained painters easily know the difference!
My Silver GTO had the same issues as your car...I knew what I was talking about with them and made the GM Reps look foolish...GM authorized me to take my car to anyone that I picked...I chose a nearby shop that specializes in show cars...THE PAINT JOB ON MY GTO IS "SHOW WINNING" STILL TO THIS DAY! That is one reason why I kept this car.
I think you should make a sticky for everyone to have this info in case this happens to them.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #46
Xxcapo

Drives: BMW 4 series
I had a brand new Mustang bumper resprayed before due to bird crap stains.

No different for me than replacing a mechanical part, the warranty covers paint... it was fixed under warranty, as long as its done right, its fine IMO.
Xxcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #47
joehouse

Drives: 1986 Trans Am
https://www.tn.gov/commerce/article/consumer-lemon-law I've been following your story from the beginning, I have to say, there is something fishy, First off all this body work will most likely take over 30 days, which in your state impairs the vehicle for an extended period of time, secondly I would hire a lemon lawyer for this case. You are entitled to a new vehicle. Thirdly, always and I mean always do a crazy check on the car before you sign the papers. I did for my dads challenger. I checked ecerywhere under the car, under the hood, interior, trunk, wheelwells, and found no problems, my friends however just signed the paper and ran away and ran into multiple issues. YOU MUST ALWAYS INSPECT THE CAR EVEN IN THE MECHANIC AFTER ITS BEEN SERVICED.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #48
jlcustomz

Drives: 83 el camaro
As someone who has done a certain amount of paint & detailing, pretty much any new car can benefit from a good detailing job. But color sanding can reveal unseen ripples in even high end cars which may not have enough factory paint to correct without thin spots.
I'd accept a restoration quality paintjob in a heartbeat. Materials such as spi epoxy are amazingly tough& give a better surface for paint to stick to. Super high solids clears such as spi universal clear can have a higher gloss level, as well as more chip resistance than oem materials sprayed by WALL-E.
jlcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #49
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehouse View Post
https://www.tn.gov/commerce/article/consumer-lemon-law I've been following your story from the beginning, I have to say, there is something fishy, First off all this body work will most likely take over 30 days, which in your state impairs the vehicle for an extended period of time, secondly I would hire a lemon lawyer for this case. You are entitled to a new vehicle. Thirdly, always and I mean always do a crazy check on the car before you sign the papers. I did for my dads challenger. I checked ecerywhere under the car, under the hood, interior, trunk, wheelwells, and found no problems, my friends however just signed the paper and ran away and ran into multiple issues. YOU MUST ALWAYS INSPECT THE CAR EVEN IN THE MECHANIC AFTER ITS BEEN SERVICED.
I've gone over this ad nauseam so obviously you haven't been following that closely. See post #8

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=1#post8943923

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #50
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586mx View Post
One thing to remember is this: All assembly plants completely submerge the whole body in a dip tank with hood, trunk, and doors installed. This is where your protection comes from. Repainting the color coat wouldn't effect the sheet metal protection. Doors are taken off after paint and assembled on another line. They get sequenced back to same body down line. I worked at an assembly plant.
Yeah, after watching How Its Made it difficult to understand how one car could come out with a significantly different paint job... Did the robot just run out of paint? I would assume there are systems in place to prevent that.

Any insight 586mx from your time in an assembly plant?
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #51
Intimidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
Yeah, after watching How Its Made it difficult to understand how one car could come out with a significantly different paint job... Did the robot just run out of paint? I would assume there are systems in place to prevent that.

Any insight 586mx from your time in an assembly plant?
There are so many things that can go wrong in a OEM paint shop...you can blow a pot, the robot can fault out, power surge, gun issue, etc...take a pick!
When something like that happens...according to the facility, the product will be dipped to start fresh, or the vehicle will be sanded down, blown, tacked, and wiped, then repainted!
I have seen processes break down and stuff gets out that will make your skin crawl...then you wonder how it happened?????
Normally issues like that happen at the end of a shift...an inspector will miss it, send it to the wrong area, etc., then when the other shift comes in, they send it on, and it snowballs...sad to say, but I've seen it ALOT!
Quality Processes are in place, but anytime you rely on people, you can have breakdowns.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #52
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
There are so many things that can go wrong in a OEM paint shop...you can blow a pot, the robot can fault out, power surge, gun issue, etc...take a pick!
When something like that happens...according to the facility, the product will be dipped to start fresh, or the vehicle will be sanded down, blown, tacked, and wiped, then repainted!
I have seen processes break down and stuff gets out that will make your skin crawl...then you wonder how it happened?????
Normally issues like that happen at the end of a shift...an inspector will miss it, send it to the wrong area, etc., then when the other shift comes in, they send it on, and it snowballs...sad to say, but I've seen it ALOT!
Quality Processes are in place, but anytime you rely on people, you can have breakdowns.
Hmmm Being born and raised in Detroit this has me wondering if the guys up in Canada have a smirk on there faces .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:35 AM   #53
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
No way! Ive had 2 camaros w bad paint areas since 2010 and both were "fixed" half ass. On top of it there was clearcoat overspray inside the car on gauges etc. The car smelled lik a body shop forever on and the paint was still not acceptable to me
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #54
Intimidator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
No way! Ive had 2 camaros w bad paint areas since 2010 and both were "fixed" half ass. On top of it there was clearcoat overspray inside the car on gauges etc. The car smelled lik a body shop forever on and the paint was still not acceptable to me
You have to control the Process...you can't let GM dictate that you take the car to MAACO, the Painter down the Street that's related to the Salesman, or the Dealers Body Shop. There's a reason why Earl Scheib finally went out of business!
These are the places with Alot of New Painters and Preppers that are just starting out and working their way up, or not talented enough to make a Good Shop. Cheap Pay = Cheap Work
Like anything else, GM is trying to get off as cheap as possible!
If you got a Bad Repaint, then you didn't do yourself any favors in the dealings.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #55
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
So what's the outcome ? Can't you just get the number to the highest person at GM? I'm sure it's public somewhere. Or call your local news agent.. They know how to get things going.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:31 AM   #56
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
If you ever saw the finishes on the Ferrari and lambos I used to own, you would find a shop that could replicate that.....lots of wet sanding and lots of clear and you would be smiles ahead.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro paint issue, general motors, gm customer service, gm paint issues, quality control