Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM powertrain Engineer speaks about the LS9

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/04/v...r1-ls9-engine/

Hit the link for a video

Quote:
The ZR1 Corvette is one serious piece of American metal, with the athleticism of a track star and the brute power of drag racer. While light weight materials, magnetic damping and 15.5-inch Brembo brakes sounds impressive, the real meat lies under the hood of the fastest ever production Corvette. GM's supercharged 6.2L small block V8 packs at least 620 hp and nearly 600 lb-ft of torque, and its duty is to finally put the Corvette into the supercar club. We were lucky enough to spend some time with Ron Meegan, the assistant chief of GM's small block engine program, and he gave us an engineer's view of the supercharged LS9 engine. Hit the jump to learn why GM didn't use the 7.0L V8 from the Z06, why the Eaton supercharger is so special, and whether or not GM is being modest with the ZR1's projected 620 hp rating.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Sweet!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
now can we say 2011 camaro ls9?????? ok i know i'm dreaming.
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swazworth View Post
now can we say 2011 camaro ls9?????? ok i know i'm dreaming.
No, you're not dreaming. That's called positive reinforcement...

AWWWWWW DAMN!!!!

I CANT WAIT!!!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

LSA is cool too!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
LSA is cool too!
+1

The LSA is really what I am hoping for. I think we can get to LS9 Power with a pulley and maybe a cam change. Not to mention all the bolt on mods....
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
how much you figure the camaro would cost though, 80k??? zr1 will supposedly top 100k. first one off the line sold for 1mil+ j leno drove it on stage at barret jackson
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

I think a pulley change would get us there. I can't remember the cam specs' on the LSA but I know the SC is smaller, however, the intake/intercooler is more efficient on the LSA than the LS9, from what I've read. Maybe LS9 needs a bigger SC to make up for the inefficiency of the intake as opposed to LSA.

I'm thinking pulley, tune, intake, and catback will be pretty close to LS9 power. Let's just keep our fingers crossed...

I don't think Camaro will come from GM much more than $45K if anything. We've been told again-and-again it wil be comparable to Mustang, so...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
how much you figure the camaro would cost though, 80k??? zr1 will supposedly top 100k. first one off the line sold for 1mil+ j leno drove it on stage at barret jackson
Ah come on. There's a ton more capability in the ZR1 than the Camaro. The chassis alone...

Quote:
I think a pulley change would get us there. I can't remember the cam specs' on the LSA but I know the SC is smaller, however, the intake/intercooler is more efficient on the LSA than the LS9, from what I've read. Maybe LS9 needs a bigger SC to make up for the inefficiency of the intake as opposed to LSA.

I'm thinking pulley, tune, intake, and catback will be pretty close to LS9 power. Let's just keep our fingers crossed...

I don't think Camaro will come from GM much more than $45K if anything. We've been told again-and-again it wil be comparable to Mustang, so...
The LSA has a 1900 and the LS9 is a 2300 supercharger. And I agree those Simple bolt on's should do the trick. I'd like a msd box and wires, headers, and CAI. I'm thinking that should about do it. And if not add a Cam and retune.

Having said all that, For 45K We better be talking LS9 numbers.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Emu the Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Ah come on. There's a ton more capability in the ZR1 than the Camaro. The chassis alone...

The LSA has a 1900 and the LS9 is a 2300 supercharger. And I agree those Simple bolt on's should do the trick. I'd like a msd box and wires, headers, and CAI. I'm thinking that should about do it. And if not add a Cam and retune.

Having said all that, For 45K We better be talking LS9 numbers.
true, but horsepower is money, and in demand. but ill drop the bar to 70k. thats still alot for a camaro. then again if i had the money i doubt i would be saying that.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
true, but horsepower is money, and in demand. but ill drop the bar to 70k. thats still alot for a camaro. then again if i had the money i doubt i would be saying that.

I hear ya' on this. I wouldn't complain if I had the $$$. I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay $70K for a Camaro, LS9 or not. I love the car and all, but that's almost crazy.

That's not to say I couldn't find a way to spend another $30K in modifications on a $40K car though. I just mean a stock $70K car.

Like you said: horsepower is money. Keep the Ti rods and bigger SC and I'd be plenty happy with an LSA.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Emu the Foo

Quote:
I hear ya' on this. I wouldn't complain if I had the $$$. I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay $70K for a Camaro, LS9 or not. I love the car and all, but that's almost crazy.

That's not to say I couldn't find a way to spend another $30K in modifications on a $40K car though. I just mean a stock $70K car.

Like you said: horsepower is money. Keep the Ti rods and bigger SC and I'd be plenty happy with an LSA.
EXACTLY
Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:

Yup!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
he he he. I like the ZR-1. And LS9. One cool thing that I noticed in the video is that the supercharger whine has been nearly eliminated. So all you hear is 600+hp beastlyness. 'nother cool fact is that the brakes were developed for the Ferari Enzo and FXX. The ZR-1 wont be the fastest car in the world, but it won't get embarassed on the track by Enzos either. I don't think there is another car that sells for ~100k that can make such a claim. Makes you wonder what all that F1 derived tech is good for.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote