Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Troycamaro

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Troycamaro
Unhappy Who feels GM screwed up?

I own and have owned a 1969 Camaro SS for over 20 years. When I heard GM was resurrecting the F Body I was a giddy as a school girl. Then I saw the pictures of the styling. Big disappointment, compared to the new Mustang which looks like the 69/70 model year. Why didnt GM follow the same recipe?? If you dont know what I am talking about, look at the lower front fascia. If they needed to lower air intakes put them out to the side and put the lower fog/parking lights in the middle like the 69 camaro's are, the 69's dont have the lower air intakes I know. If they would have done this they would not be able to make em fast enough, LIKE the MUSTANG.

:
Troycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
I love it as is.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Personally, I love the looks of the car as is, GM did an outstanding on the Camaro's rebirth.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Well first I gotta say BLASPHEMY...STONE HIM!!! Just kidding...lol everyone is entitled to theyre own opinion. yeah I retro car would have been cool, no doubt bad ass looking too, hell the 1st gen is my fav of the camaro. But retro wasnt the direction that GM wanted to go with with the 5th gen. Its a totally new design from the floor up, but as any true muscle car should it pays homage to its origins. I honestly like it better than going the retro route, because if I really wanted a 69 camaro Id rather buy a 69 camaro for cheap and have the satisfaction of restoring her to her former glory. there's no need for a remake in my opinion its 2008, look at the challenger, yeah Its a nice looking car, but Id much rather have a 1970 challenger if I were a mopar guy.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
ChevyMSU35

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3 Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troycamaro View Post
I own and have owned a 1969 Camaro SS for over 20 years. When I heard GM was resurrecting the F Body I was a giddy as a school girl. Then I saw the pictures of the styling. Big disappointment, compared to the new Mustang which looks like the 69/70 model year. Why didnt GM follow the same recipe?? If you dont know what I am talking about, look at the lower front fascia. If they needed to lower air intakes put them out to the side and put the lower fog/parking lights in the middle like the 69 camaro's are, the 69's dont have the lower air intakes I know. If they would have done this they would not be able to make em fast enough, LIKE the MUSTANG.

:
I also love the new Camaro as it is. Be prepared, though. I have a feeling you're about to get a lot of replys which point out that the new Camaro isn't meant to be a recreation of an older car as the Mustang and Challenger are.
ChevyMSU35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
As Scott (aka Fbodfather) has said numerous times, "You're not going to please everyone".

While you're 100% entitled to your opinions, and they are to be respected, the overwhelming response to the new Camaro has been positive.

As for GM following the same recipe as Ford did with the new Mustang, I personally feel GM's direction, to not make the new Camaro so "retro", was a good move. While I too like the styling of the new Mustang, it's appeal has diminished quite a bit from the time it was introduced. Hence, the next Mustang will move away from the "retro" styling.

I commend GM for incorporating a few "retro" ques while incorporating new and aggressive stying. IMO, this will ensure that the Camaro still retains its appeal well after its introduction.

As I first stated, you're opinions are welcomed and to be respected by everyone. If you haven't already, I suggest you wait to make a final judgement until you see the car in person. I wouldn't be surprised if you're opinion changed once you see it in person.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
We need a kat scan stat!!!
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
I like American muscle. The mewer Mustangs are sweet, the new Challenger is cool, but there is just something about the Camaro that makes me want to sell my first born child to get. It's likely the V6 version will take all the Mustang GT's out there, and the base V8 will likely give the GT500 a scare. I think GM has done a fantastic job.

Welcome to the boards!
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:

:

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:

:
When you only miss one out of nearly 2200 members, that sounds like a winner to me!
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Troycamaro

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Troycamaro
Talking

I understand about the opinions and all, I still like the new Generation, I was thinking of my personal collection to buy a new one that looked closer to my 39 yr old one I have, like book ends or something, Or how your grandkid looks like you just different ages.
I tried to get work in the at the plant where they are building them, my Canadian buddy is working there. But I am stuck out in Kansas making the new Malibu.

Name:  The+Car.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  43.8 KB
Troycamaro
Troycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
If I wanted a 69 body on a current chassis, Id make my own. The kits are out there.

I want a new car with new style, the camaro is my style. They could have used another name and I could have cared less. Call it a chevy cronk, i wouldnt care.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:

:
Welcome

I think GM did the right thing not going too retro as by the time it hits Showrooms, the Mustang will have a at least a front end update to get the design a little more current.

Personally I was unhappy with the plastic GEO Storm styling the CF4 cars took in 1993, good to see the original pony car design making a return
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I must say. This was one of the MOST respectful threads of how a person dislikes the new Camaro. Excellent!!!

I've been so used to "this is sh!t" and "wtf were the dummies thinking"...that I was genuinely surprised!! Thank you, Troycamaro.

I personally, like everything about the new Camaro. It is purely new and modern, with a few subtle touches of retro. Even those are done in a modern way, though.
The '69 was and IS a brilliant car!! But, it should stay a '69, imho. I would've hated for the new car to be a carbon copy like the Challenger is.