Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #29
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Keep in mind people GM has invested Millions in R&D on these engines and know them better than any of us PERIOD!!!

I'm sure several shade tree mechanics probably have their own version of how to properly "break in" an engine. Maybe their method is even solid practice on older engines they might have experience with. However, just like how oil changes used to be every 3months/3,000 miles, times have changed and so has proper break in procedures.

Just because someone can follow their own personal method and the engine still live doesn't mean that is the best way.

Also keep in mind you aren't just breaking in the engine in a brand new car you are breaking in everything! Brakes, Trans, Diff, and Suspension!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #30
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Snow/ICE mode?
Could be that or any other number of possible settings. I could put my car in Track Mode with PTM Wet mode engaged and the read out would only show track mode, but the car would feel like it was at about half power and pulling timing / fuel cutting at an obnoxious rate!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #31
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
[QUOTE=SS 1LE;9614899]I think it was the opposite, it was probably trying to spin it's tires (OP is in Jersey, pretty cold there now), and what he felt was the traction control kicking in and pulling timing.[/QUOTE
+1
Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #32
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Keep in mind people GM has invested Millions in R&D on these engines and know them better than any of us PERIOD!!!

I'm sure several shade tree mechanics probably have their own version of how to properly "break in" an engine. Maybe their method is even solid practice on older engines they might have experience with. However, just like how oil changes used to be every 3months/3,000 miles, times have changed and so has proper break in procedures.

Just because someone can follow their own personal method and the engine still live doesn't mean that is the best way.

Also keep in mind you aren't just breaking in the engine in a brand new car you are breaking in everything! Brakes, Trans, Diff, and Suspension!
I really don't mean to argue. Just going by what a couple of the shops that are installing new pistons/rings in the LT1 are telling me. LMR, Wiseco, etc.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #33
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

00 Trans Ram actually makes many good points...totally babying your engine for 1500 miles is not good. That is the lawyers, not the engineers, believe me. Some of the top LS/LT engine builders will tell you the same things...you baby it too much, you can be down on compression, use more oil, etc, etc. When I had my 408 built for my C5Z, the builder told me "Don't use cruise control, vary your speed on the highway, don't do hard launches, but do lots of in gear pulls up the rev range. Don't drive like an old lady."
Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #34
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
00 Trans Ram actually makes many good points...totally babying your engine for 1500 miles is not good. That is the lawyers, not the engineers, believe me. Some of the top LS/LT engine builders will tell you the same things...you baby it too much, you can be down on compression, use more oil, etc, etc. When I had my 408 built for my C5Z, the builder told me "Don't use cruise control, vary your speed on the highway, don't do hard launches, but do lots of in gear pulls up the rev range. Don't drive like an old lady."
I agree. I did the same with my car. There is a little room for interpretation in GM's literature and unfortunately some people may baby the car for the first 1,500 but I made sure to do many in gear pulls at about 75% throttle and let the engine run in the 3000-4000 range much more than I would in normal driving. Hell I was chasing a GT4 and GT350 through the mountains 3 days after getting the car, but I wasn't red line shifting at 9 miles!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #35
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I don't understand how you cannot get on it a little and use rev matching and all that fun stuff.

To baby it would take severe and never-seen-in-human-history level of self-control
Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #36
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I don't understand how you cannot get on it a little and use rev matching and all that fun stuff.

To baby it would take severe and never-seen-in-human-history level of self-control
I know right, funny thing is shorty after I graduated college I bought myself a new 2000 SS in 1999. I literally pulled out of the dealer with maybe 10 miles on the car and at the FIRST light had a loud Fox Mustang pull up next to me. I ran him through 4th gear... I actually beat the shit out of the car from day one, and it consistently made more power mod for mod than anyone else's.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #37
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
You Guys all make me laugh

What he did wouldn't hurt a thing. He wasn't out beating the crap out of the car. He took it for a test drive and during that test drive he got on it to feel the power band. For the guys complaining about break in give me a break, what do you think the guys who drive these cars off the train they get delivered on before they hit the dealers do to them. Those cars are beaten way before we even see them.

Anyway, My thought on this topic is maybe he hit the rev limiter and didn't realize it. By the time his eyes went from the tach to the road he may have just hit the rev limiter or like others have said spun the tires a little.

Furthermore, He is my friend, knows how to drive and he bought the car last week so you wont have to worry about buying this poor beaten car off the dealer lot because its ours now and will get a nice beaten at the track this spring.

The car is beautiful BTW and now i want one lol. The new features in these 6th gens are sweet.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #38
MTS2020

Drives: 2017 HBM SS 1LE
Quote:

This x 1 Billion
MTS2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #39
allsteelers

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Any fool who beats the hell out of the car on their test drive and complains about High RPM issues before the car even has 10 miles on it is asking for engine issues!

Not sure why anyone needs to do redline pulls in a stock LT1 to make a decision on buying a 1LE or not. The 1LE is all about handling not drag racing! If you insist on feeling the car out at redline go rent a Camaro SS and beat it to death.

People like you are exactly why I will never buy a performance car without ordering it directly and knowing that no one else but me test drove it.
OP Here! Wow...love the above response. Never been called a fool before but I guess there is a first time for everything!

I've been racing for a long time, I know how engines work and what beating a car means. I don't believe what I did could be considered beating a car. Also, I don't believe I ever said I redlined the damn thing either. What I said was that at around 5500 rpm it felt like the engine was not accelerating properly. Once I felt that I got off the accelerator, I did not try to push through it to redline.

Anyway, some of the "better" responses like possibly be in the wrong mode, tires slipping, bad gas....etc. seem reasonable. After thinking about it more, I figure that if there was something wrong it would have thrown a code and lit the engine light. That never happened.

As mentioned by Ideal Garage, I have since bought said car and once the weather warms up enough I will report back to let you know what I find out.....from the track!
allsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #40
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
This thread was good for a laugh
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #41
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
When did Pobst ever mention anything like the OP did? Only "negative" things he said was that the throttle was too sensitive in track mode for his taste and that he thought the gearing was a little taller then he would prefer.

FYI, only Z51/GS LT1's are dry sump...pretty much all the base Corvette to Camaro LT1 changes are just exhaust and accessory related.
Randy specifically mentions the motor is slow to get to redline. 3:15 of the Motor Trend vid. He doesn't elaborate what this means exactly. Watching several track PDR vids I wouldn't say it is due to tall gears. And from those vids I'd say the motors get up to redline just fine.

The Camaro LT1 does NOT vary from a Vette LT1 just by "exhaust and accessories". It also has a different intake and most importantly (perhaps) a different oil return architecture, likely for the benefit of a wet sump. Per GM's official estimation it is "20%" different. That's rather substantial. Indeed, it has been "re-worked" for the Camaro (and it is a good thing IMO).

BTW, to those babying their motors: watch Lingenfelter test top speed of a new ZL1 and his comments about low mileage. And yes, he warranties his work

To the OP: congrats on your purchase and enjoy it on the track!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #42
RobertSmith

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution X
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
You Guys all make me laugh

What he did wouldn't hurt a thing. He wasn't out beating the crap out of the car. He took it for a test drive and during that test drive he got on it to feel the power band. For the guys complaining about break in give me a break, what do you think the guys who drive these cars off the train they get delivered on before they hit the dealers do to them. Those cars are beaten way before we even see them.

Anyway, My thought on this topic is maybe he hit the rev limiter and didn't realize it. By the time his eyes went from the tach to the road he may have just hit the rev limiter or like others have said spun the tires a little.

Furthermore, He is my friend, knows how to drive and he bought the car last week so you wont have to worry about buying this poor beaten car off the dealer lot because its ours now and will get a nice beaten at the track this spring.

The car is beautiful BTW and now i want one lol. The new features in these 6th gens are sweet.
What dealer had that car in stock?
RobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote