Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Limits of the IPS kit?

I know everyone likes the IPS kit and it definitely looks very clean well done. I admit I don't know a lot about forced induction but Im learning lol, does anyone know much about the turbos they're using? They use Garrett GT28 Journal Bearing Turbos. I've heard of Garret and I'm sure they are good quality but beyond that idk. Are they pretty much maxed out at 450hp and tq or is there room to go bigger? Like say you wanted to do forged rods/pistons and lower the ccompression a bit how much more power could you make with these turbos and the piping and everything else..

I'm sure 460 to the ground is plenty lol but I'd love to do something crazy.. I'm a mmechanic so my labor is free and I've built plenty of motors so I don't see why I couldn't do this one as long as I could find somewhere kknowledgeable to balance the rotating assembly.

What does everyone think....?
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
The IPS kit makes around 450whp, as you said, with an automatic. It would be around 490-500whp with a manual. You could push it further but without modifying anything else it's not the best idea. As we can see GretchenGotGrowl has the 650whp TT setup (custom, not IPS, but the comparison can be made), so it can be done. Then we have found that the LF3 high pressure fuel pump can supply much more fuel than our current HPFP (see: the GretchenGotGrowl car could use the LF3 HPFP with no other fuel modifications and produce 650whp still versus the custom fuel system and meth kit).

You can take it as far as your money says you can.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Beyond 500rwhp things start to break....

Just fyi
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Beyond 500rwhp things start to break....

Just fyi
That's why I said if I were to do forged rods and pistons..

It wouldn't be crazy money. Especially with Gretchen giving the specs on his rods/pistons from wiseco (him and jaqfab were talking about getting a group buy together) seems like that would make things a lot stronger and more reliable. Then with the LF3 hpfp and/or the ZL1 in tank pump the fuel would be there..
Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not sure how much I want to push my car.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I'm not sure exactly which GT28s they use, but if it is the GT2860RS with the larger A/R then I think ~700+ HP at the crank would be a reasonable expectation. Of course, you can always upgrade them later if you want more power.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
I would be in for piston upgrades as long as it's under 1500

You can always up the boost like that
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
JantzenOKC

Yeah I don't know how much I want to push my car either, but I'd love to have a V6 beast to terrorize all the V8s around Oklahoma City with lol and it's definitely seeming doable as of late..

I wonder if these GT28 turbos will pull all the way to 7000rpm because I know they come in real early at 2500 I think? We've only seen the one dyno graph and it looked like they only ran it up to 5500rpm if I remember. Idk why maybe they just didn't want to push it too hard or something but I'm curious how it does going into the shift.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
JantzenOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I'm not sure exactly which GT28s they use, but if it is the GT2860RS with the larger A/R then I think ~700+ HP at the crank would be a reasonable expectation. Of course, you can always upgrade them later if you want more power.
Yeah 700 at the crank sounds like plenty! It's crazy to even think about.. we are all just lucky that your here sharing all your secrets! You probably spent $30,000 so we can spend $15,000 and I may be low on that lol

I've been trying so hard to wait until I had more miles on the car to play with it but 28K might just be enough..