Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Texas speed head porting and stage 3 vs GPI max package

I’ve been pretty set on placing an order with Texas speed this coming winter when the cars tucked away. I have a pretty comprehensive list of parts from Texas speed. New lifters, trays, head gaskets, my ported heads, stage 3 cam, ls2 dampener, timing chain,new hardware, melling high pressure, Che rocker arm upgrade and I’m sure I’m missing a couple things but you get the idea. I was also going to have the rod mod done to my intake.

Parts from Texas speed plus rod mod comes out to 2500 dollars

Then I came across the gpi max head and cam package. Adding in new lifters and trays to the overall cost I’m at roughly 4400 dollars. I know I can sell my old heads and intake and maaaaybe make 1000 dollars back. Maybe. That’s always a hassle though.

Then There’s the power each package could potentially make. I’m going on the assumption the gpi will make maaaybe 15 to 20 more horsepower. If my math is right that’s nearly 2 thousand dollars more for maybe 20 more horsepower.

I know the gpi package is superior but is t worth the nearly 2 grand more?

Just looking for opinions and thoughts from you guys
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Neither of those will even come close to passing NJ emissions inspection . Just Saying.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Matt8892(2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Neither of those will even come close to passing NJ emissions inspection . Just Saying.
Not even close to the question I was asking. But with a good tune, no CEL lights, it will pass. I still have cats on the car. They don’t do a visual. No reason for it to not pass. Not living in CA after all.

Plus if you wanna be a real stickler long tubes will already make me fail. Touching and changing any component of my exhaust makes the car illegal as the law reads
Old 05-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8892(2) View Post
Not even close to the question I was asking. But with a good tune, no CEL lights, it will pass. I still have cats on the car. They don’t do a visual. No reason for it to not pass. Not living in CA after all.

Plus if you wanna be a real stickler long tubes will already make me fail. Touching and changing any component of my exhaust makes the car illegal as the law reads
Changing the exhaust after the cat is legal ,
"CAT BACK" . Being born in Jersey and left in 1988 I never could get my modified 73 383 stroker Vette
to pass . I had to go to my buddy Fred in Morristown to his reinspection /shop and get him to put another car on the IR test to pass. Don't know how they handle post 1996 cars there now . But I would think the mods you have planed ( stage 3 cam) would not pass . The smell and lope would be a dead give away ,and once they opened the hood and saw the long tubes I think the party would be over. To address you question , Texas Speed has a good rep so I would think it is a better deal for the money if your only talking 15 HP .

Last edited by GONIF; 05-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm a fan of the gpi max package, if I had big money I would have done it. Seems like the max package, rear gear and a high rev limiter will really get down the track fast. Gpi added an aftermarket ls7 intake and e85 and made 540hp. Probably a solid 40-60hp more than you would see from an average head cam setup
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Matt8892(2)

Quote:
Changing the exhaust after the cat is legal ,
"CAT BACK" . Being born in Jersey and left in 1988 I never could get my modified 73 383 stroker Vette
to pass . I had to go to my buddy Fred in Morristown to his reinspection /shop and get him to put another car on the IR test to pass. Don't know how they handle post 1996 cars there now . But I would think the mods you have planed ( stage 3 cam) would not pass . The smell and lope would be a dead give away ,and once they opened the hood and saw the long tubes I think the party would be over. To address you question , Texas Speed has a good rep so I would think it is a better deal for the money if your only talking 15 HP .
Not to be a smart ass, but the laws do read that you cannot modify anything on the exhaust. Even mufflers. Of course no one checks nor cares at long as the car isn’t stupid loud. I remember back in the 90s going with my dad to get cars inspected. They went over everything. They drive the car through the lane, brake check, light, everything. Was always funny, they were to scared to drive my dads RV so they always made him speed up and slam the brakes.

A lot has changed since 1988 and not necessarily for the better. All they care about is if your engine light is on now. You can go in with no lights on you car, cracked windows, no wipers, and blown suspension. But if your engine light is off they pass you! They don’t even pop the hoods anymore and look. So long as they hook up to the port and the car shows all system readiness you’re good.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Matt8892(2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
I'm a fan of the gpi max package, if I had big money I would have done it. Seems like the max package, rear gear and a high rev limiter will really get down the track fast. Gpi added an aftermarket ls7 intake and e85 and made 540hp. Probably a solid 40-60hp more than you would see from an average head cam setup

That makes sense to me. And I don’t want to be spending money unnecessarily. That’s almost super charger money
Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
GONIF

Quote:
Not to be a smart ass, but the laws do read that you cannot modify anything on the exhaust. Even mufflers. Of course no one checks nor cares at long as the car isn’t stupid loud. I remember back in the 90s going with my dad to get cars inspected. They went over everything. They drive the car through the lane, brake check, light, everything. Was always funny, they were to scared to drive my dads RV so they always made him speed up and slam the brakes.

A lot has changed since 1988 and not necessarily for the better. All they care about is if your engine light is on now. You can go in with no lights on you car, cracked windows, no wipers, and blown suspension. But if your engine light is off they pass you! They don’t even pop the hoods anymore and look. So long as they hook up to the port and the car shows all system readiness you’re good.
Hell even new car dealers sell cat backs ,and they would never risk it if it weren't legal ,Catbacks are 100% legal.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Matt8892(2)

Quote:
Hell even new car dealers sell cat backs ,and they would never risk it if it weren't legal ,Catbacks are 100% legal.
Yea, you right. I misunderstood the way the law was worded apparently
Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
Max package, ordering mine on the 1st. And GPI offers a pretty reasonable core refund if you send in your old heads,rockers,stands, fuel rail and intake manifold
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #11
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I want the GPI max kit, seems like a great no brainer NA way to go without spending major cash on a full build, or quite a bit more on a properly done SC setup.

Boost would be great but unless you're getting used parts...it's easily 2x more. Plus weight and heat. For a road course car I like the idea of staying NA. Obviously a well sorted SC car can work well and reliably on the track, as members have done, as Chevy does with the ZL1.

GPI max looks like a great option, the thinking and sorting is already done for ya. Works for me

Blah blah emissions...none of this fun stuff is legal anywhere, definitely not federally legal anywhere in the US, some counties in some states don't care. Off road use only!

I'd like to see more input for the OP's question...
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
Matt8892(2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1214 View Post
Max package, ordering mine on the 1st. And GPI offers a pretty reasonable core refund if you send in your old heads,rockers,stands, fuel rail and intake manifold
This I didn’t know!!! Any idea what the core refund is? I’ll go look on their site
Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #13
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
This I didn’t know!!! Any idea what the core refund is? I’ll go look on their site
I'd email them, I don't think they have it listed in their site yet. (support@gwatneyperformance.com ) And I don't know the exact amount.
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #14
Matt8892(2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1214 View Post
I'd email them, I don't think they have it listed in their site yet. (support@gwatneyperformance.com ) And I don't know the exact amount, After the core credit I was quoted $4165.28, That's including Leak down Johnson lifters and a MSD atomic intake manifold.
Isn’t that like 1k in parts alone additional with the lifters and intake? Either way I’ll definutely email them. You really may have sold me on this then. Because this really off sets the cost difference