Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
My 1983 Trans Am Build

Anybody interested in updates on the progress of my big project? It's a 1983 Pontiac Trans Am, red, with T-tops (no leaks, thank goodness!). I payed 800 bucks for it about two years ago which was honestly worth the American Racing rims it came with.

The general idea is a carbureted 383ci stroker with a roots type blower, not sure which kind yet. Iron block, aluminum heads, forged rotating assembly, solid roller cam, all the goodies. This will be backed up by a bulletproof T-5. Maybe dual clutch, haven't decided. I'm really hoping for near 500whp, but money will decide the final number.

The will be a weekend cruiser/street warrior, with full interior amenities. Power steering, door locks and windows, A/C, radio.

What do you guys think? I have some pics and such if anyone is interested.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Go for it we're always welcoming of people's projects.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Throw up some pics : ) P
People like to see progress in projects here
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Anybody interested in updates on the progress of my big project? It's a 1983 Pontiac Trans Am, red, with T-tops (no leaks, thank goodness!). I payed 800 bucks for it about two years ago which was honestly worth the American Racing rims it came with.

The general idea is a carbureted 383ci stroker with a roots type blower, not sure which kind yet. Iron block, aluminum heads, forged rotating assembly, solid roller cam, all the goodies. This will be backed up by a bulletproof T-5. Maybe dual clutch, haven't decided. I'm really hoping for near 500whp, but money will decide the final number.

The will be a weekend cruiser/street warrior, with full interior amenities. Power steering, door locks and windows, A/C, radio.

What do you guys think? I have some pics and such if anyone is interested.
Post them up...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

When we brought it home. That trailer has SS wheels by the way, no idea where my dad got them.

Old Formula style hood. Haven't decided what to do with it.

Leak Free T-tops!

Ugly worn out interior. Going soon. Which of course means as money allows.

The EXTRA worn out 305. That engine bay is empty right now. I'm steadily assempling its new heart.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

Quote:

Old Formula style hood. Haven't decided what to do with it.
actually that is a Trans Am hood not the Formula hood, the differences are the TA hood actually was functional and the Forumula's was closed off. my dad had a 83 daytona 500 pace car edition T/A and it had the crossfire (ugh) V8 and the underside of the hood actually connected to the top of the engine and when air hit the windshield it would deflect it into the opening on the scoop on the outside of the hood and run air into the intake manifold and the dual throttlebodies and air cleaners insde the air cleaner cover.

his was like this but he did not have the wheelcovers on them he had the turbofin rims that were underneath the covers (same as KITT's wheels on knightrider but without the smaller 'bowling ball' hubcaps that were in the senter of the rims).
Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Looks like you've got your work cut out. Take your time and enjoy your project. It should be pretty mean when it's finished.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Here's hoping. I just recently picked up a used iron 350 block. Now I need to get my hands on that forged stroker assembly so I can send it off to a machine shop.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 11-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Good luck on the project and keep the updates coming!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Thanks guys. A lot of people ask me why I'm wasting my time on a third generation f-body. The main reason is because everybody else is busy with the other generations. The other reason is because I think third gen cars get a bad rap. In that day and age most cars were anemic. They still managed to look awesome and handle pretty well too. I'm just filling in the missing pieces the General left out.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 11-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Needs the bird insignia on the hood.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Don't worry, it will. I'm thinking a bright red for the overall color and having my friend free hand the bird on the hood in metallic black. So I don't have to use a vinyl or decal that will be replaced down the road.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

Quote:
Thanks guys. A lot of people ask me why I'm wasting my time on a third generation f-body. The main reason is because everybody else is busy with the other generations. The other reason is because I think third gen cars get a bad rap. In that day and age most cars were anemic. They still managed to look awesome and handle pretty well too. I'm just filling in the missing pieces the General left out.
as much as I LOVE all the generations of the F car i have a special place in my heart for the 3rd gen. I had a 88 Camaro sport coupe V8 with the t tops. my dad had a 82 base coupe with the 'iron duke' inline 4 but with no cat converter a performance chip, this combined with the 5 speed manual and SLIGHTLY wider than stock wheels/tires it was surprisingly fast (at the time ). a 88 firebird v8 coupe with t tops and a 5 speed manual, the car had the 'snowflake' rims off of a late 70s trans am that looked killer on this car. and the aformentioned 83 daytona 500 trans am that was loaded and had cool but uncomfortable leather/suede Recaro seats.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Quote:
Don't worry, it will. I'm thinking a bright red for the overall color and having my friend free hand the bird on the hood in metallic black. So I don't have to use a vinyl or decal that will be replaced down the road.
Someone in High Performance Pontiac magazine used a decal designed for a 2nd gen and modified it slightly to put on their 4th gen. It looked incredible. Have you thought about using the decal with black and gold colors? I think that would look sharp on a red car.