Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #43
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Thanks for starting this thread. I came in here this evening thinking about my next mods which may include a cam and supercharger.

I have an L99. I am totally new to modding cars and I am the first to admit that I don't know much about it, but I am learning. I have installed a CAI intake (with the help of a kind friend) and I had IPS Motorsports install the Pfadt drop springs, sway bars, and end links. I am very happy with these mods. I started small with things that seemed like they had a good bang-for-the-buck results. So far, so good.

I don't plan to race my Camaro, but I am really enjoying tinkering with it to get as much horsepower as I can while still having a car that is fun to drive on the street. It is not my daily driver, btw.

I have ordered Kooks LT catted headers 1 7/8" and a Borla cat back touring exhaust and IPS Motorsports is going to install those and tune my car next week. I want the power and throatier sound from the headers. I debated for a long time about whether I should keep the stock exhaust or not. I decided to go with the Borla touring exhaust in order to get rid of the ugly "garbage cans" at the back of the car and those huge resonators on the A6. I just can't believe that those things don't steal horsepower. Also, I wanted a bit more sound from my car, but I don't want it to be too loud. After reading and listening a lot, I decided on the the Borla touring exhaust because it's Borla's quietest exhaust (so I won't get the dreaded L99 "drone") yet it is a bit louder than stock. When my car is tuned this week AFM will be tuned out, btw.

Here are my first questions for this thread: should I have the headers ceramic coated? Can the shop do that usually, or should I have had that done by Kooks?

I am planning to drive the car for a while with the new parts to see how I like it. If I feel like I want to go further, then I think a cam would be my next step. After reading this thread and others, it seems that a cam is a very serious next step because it can totally change the driveability of the car and it is VERY expensive. I am going to take my time before deciding if I want to do a cam and, if I do, which cam I should get. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can pick out a cam that is appropriate for me. It is really hard to get a feel for them from watching youtube videos. How can I best "interview" cams.

Thanks to you folks who are helping us novices in this thread. Your advice and answers are incredibly helpful. Also, I appreciate that no one has flamed us noobs for being noobs!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #44
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
So, Stainless will be good, stainless coated will be better?
I was rereading this thread and want to comment on coating headers.

Keeping heat in an exhaust has a couple of benefits.

One is keeping underhood temps as low as possible.

Secondly, hotter exhaust gasses can move with greater velocity. Velocity is a big deal in exhaust design.

There are different coating approaches for headers. Some are quite attractive when applied but, these are usually very thin coatings that don't control heat as well as is possible.

The best header coating, IMO and experience, is from Swain Tech. I think it's called "White Lightning" < not absolutely certain >.

It's a high ceramic content, thicker than the "pretty" stuff. Controls temps very well and really improves flow characteristics.

The drawback, if you can call it that, is that it's textured and not show car shiney. It's the real deal though. Race proven.

I don't find the look objectionable. It's a textured thing, and really delivers the goods.

I'd check it out as it isn't really expensive. It is the best.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #45
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Thanks for the infor on header coatings. I'll check on that and see what turns up but it makes sense cocnerning the heat. The one true thing that I have learned so far about this mod thing is you have to be careful not to get snake charmed by the vendor. You can get lulled into a false sense of security unless you ask the right questions.

My suggestion is to look at mods from a business standpoint and by that I mean get in writing what a company will provide and do some research. I have found 1 car that sounds exactly like I want. The vendor that did it did not seem real interested in answering my questions and putting up with the " Newbie", kinda expected me to know alot more than I did. Oh well they lost out on my money.

Most people in this forum are not engineers or motorheads that know everything, and don't want to spend 25k sending their cars to a big performance shop like Hennessy ( NO Offense intended, just an example of a shop).

Like me, whatever I buy I will have to have installed by someone else since most vendors that install are not located near me, so not only do I have to find a reputable parts supplier but I have to find a performance mechanic to install someone else parts,theorhetically speaking. I have ordered some parts and have found a shop to install them so time will tell.

I have a CAI from Cold Air Inductions on order plus a set of a header system(Dynotech), a cam and updated valave train, plus a tuner to make it work.

I will say this when it comes to cam parts, don't be fooled by "special grind" cams. Find the spec on the one you like, it is probably a stock item from a major cam supplier like Compcams. Like I said don't be snake charmed into thinking you are getting a one of a kind cam, unless you are. This will affect price.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #46
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I have contacted IPS Motorsports and they have a local place that will coat my Kooks headers with a ceramic coating that is black. They say it looks great and will help with the heat.

After reading about cams for a few weeks, I have come to the conclusion that you have to do some serious homework on a cam, especially in an L99. It is not trivial and there are different paths to take (i.e. whether to do the LS3 conversion or not). Apparently, what is MOST important with a cam is to make sure that whoever is going to do the tune with a cam really really REALLY knows what they are doing. I will be doing more homework before deciding.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #47
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I am planning to drive the car for a while with the new parts to see how I like it. If I feel like I want to go further, then I think a cam would be my next step. After reading this thread and others, it seems that a cam is a very serious next step because it can totally change the driveability of the car and it is VERY expensive. I am going to take my time before deciding if I want to do a cam and, if I do, which cam I should get. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can pick out a cam that is appropriate for me. It is really hard to get a feel for them from watching youtube videos. How can I best "interview" cams.

Thanks to you folks who are helping us novices in this thread. Your advice and answers are incredibly helpful. Also, I appreciate that no one has flamed us noobs for being noobs!
Terri,

I too had these concerns about cams. I went to C5F and saw a car just like I wanted, exactly. Talked to the owner for over an hour about all the good and bad, drivability, reliability, whatever. Went for a ride in the car (Super Nice Man) down the interstate, country road, cruising speed and a little play time. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So I ordered that same type parts and we will see what I get.

From what I have learned alot is personal preference. By that I mean some like ARH headers, some like Dynotech, some like Kooks, but they all pretty much do the same thing with suttle changes, just like the CAI test Jannetty Racing did, pretty much the same but basically looks, warranty, quality and price are different.

For example ARH headers, cats, and x-pipe are 1895.00, Dynotech's system is 1299.00, both are stainless un-coated, limited lifetime warranty, just personal preference.

Same with installation cost, I checked a guy out around where I live and he made alot of sense when explaining cost. He is going to replace the cam. So I asked how much he would charge to install the CAI, he said nothing, because when doing a cam swap he would have to take the stock one off anyway, another shop said 150.00 for cai install. These are just examples what I run into and learned.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #48
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Cam question in real terms. I am getting a 227/239, .614/.624 cam, just to make sure what I am getting, can soemone tell me what these numbers mean. I understand intake, exhaust and duration. This cam is supposed to give it lope, how do you figure lope? Is it the diff between the first set or second set? the wider the gap the more lope?, or is it a higher number set like 255/275 less lope than 285/300?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #49
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

bump for answers
Old 05-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #50
1fastdog

Quote:
I too had these concerns about cams. I went to C5F and saw a car just like I wanted, exactly. Talked to the owner for over an hour about all the good and bad, drivability, reliability, whatever. Went for a ride in the car (Super Nice Man) down the interstate, country road, cruising speed and a little play time. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So I ordered that same type parts and we will see what I get.
A good method to follow.

The internet is a fabulous resource and particularly a site such as this one.

When it comes to what you buy, get the best experience with the product as you have done.

Money is harder to come by than advice. I have also found that some folks will not share bad experiences regarding a mod if they feel they will get attacked for doing so. People are usually much more frank in a one on on as opposed to the 'net. That, and one person's dream can be another person's nightmare.

If you can "taste the steak before you buy" there is less chance for regret.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #51
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Very insightfull thread!!

Hey all,

I really appreciate the time and effort folks are putting into sharing information and knowledge in this thread. I am also in the beginning stages of planning specific mods and I'm learning more and more from each post.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #52
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

What is the difference in dyno tuning and boxed tunes?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #53
the upcoming

Drives: 10'2SS/RS,94'toyoda,02'vette
Quote:
Dynos give you a tune that is just for your car
the upcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #54
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
I'm not going to read thru this whole thread but there is another thread on LS1Tech that is AMAZING!!! I'm off to bed tho, I will find the link when I wake up in the PM!
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #55
1fastdog

Quote:
"Dyno" or maybe better said "Custom" tuning is where adjustments are specific to the exact car being tuned, "boxed or canned tunes" are meant to work on as an improvement without the customization for one car only.

Sort of similar to a tailor made suit as opposed to one off the rack.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #56
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdog View Post
"Dyno" or maybe better said "Custom" tuning is where adjustments are specific to the exact car being tuned, "boxed or canned tunes" are meant to work on as an improvement without the customization for one car only.

Sort of similar to a tailor made suit as opposed to one off the rack.
That's probably the best analogy I've ever seen for comparing them.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote