Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Ken Wolkens

Drives: '14 Spring Edition Convert LS3/M6
An alternative for 21" Tires

After 16,000 miles my 2014 2SS Spring Edition Convertible needed tires and I just could not stomach the price for the Pirelli P-Zeros at $1600+ for the set of 4 so I decided to shop and see what was available.

Needless to say 21" Wheels makes shopping around a bit difficult.

Also for as little as I drive my car changing the rims for 20" made no sense plus I really like the look of the 21's anyhow.

After some digging I found that Lexani makes a LX-Twenty tire that is available in 295/35/21 and 255/40/21 sizes. I found a local wheel specialty shop that carries both the Lexani brand wheels ($$$$) and the tires so I called for a quote.

All four tires mounted and balanced with tax was $702.85 so I had them order the tires and had them installed a few days later.

Since then I've put a few hundred miles on them and find them to be quieter than the P-zeros and like the way they handle in the rainstorms down here in Florida.

Before bringing the pitchforks and torches after me because I bought anything other than the traditional brands, keep in mind that I could care less about cornering and will never see more than normal freeway speeds so ragged edge performance means nothing to me. These tires fit my use profile: Old fart who wants to look cool and drive his car on nice days.

Just to get the commentary out of the way... "You get what you pay for" or "your gonna die" or "Chinese Junk" is expected by the faithful but keep in mind that brands like Nitto, Hankook, Toyo, and so on were regarded the same way 20 years ago. However, today those brands are mainstream.

I'll update along the way but keep in mind that I don't drive my Camaro very often so if you don't hear from me don't assume my tire choice killed me. If someone wants an update send me a PM or ask for it on this thread.

Thanks, Ken

Last edited by Ken Wolkens; 09-13-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Ken Wolkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
mma

Drives: 1LE
That is the one thing that made me steer away from 21" wheels, the cost of the tires. I've always liked how the dusk edition wheels looked too. As you kinda touched on, there's always a compromise for cheap tires, just be prepared for that if it does happen. Enjoy em!
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wolkens View Post
After 16,000 miles my 2014 2SS Spring Edition Convertible needed tires and I just could not stomach the price for the Pirelli P-Zeros at $1600+ for the set of 4 so I decided to shop and see what was available.

Needless to say 21" Wheels makes shopping around a bit difficult.

Also for as little as I drive my car changing the rims for 20" made no sense plus I really like the look of the 21's anyhow.

After some digging I found that Lexani makes a LX-Twenty tire that is available in 295/35/21 and 255/40/21 sizes. I found a local wheel specialty shop that carries both the Lexani brand wheels ($$$$) and the tires so I called for a quote.

All four tires mounted and balanced with tax was $702.85 so I had them order the tires and had them installed a few days later.

Since then I've put a few hundred miles on them and find them to be quieter than the P-zeros and like the way they handle in the rainstorms down here in Florida.

Before bringing the pitchforks and torches after me because I bought anything other than the traditional brands, keep in mind that I could care less about cornering and will never see more than normal freeway speeds so ragged edge performance means nothing to me. These tires fit my use profile: Old fart who wants to look cool and drive his car on nice days. :headband:

Just to get the commentary out of the way... "You get what you pay for" or "your gonna die" or "Chinese Junk" is expected by the faithful but keep in mind that brands like Nitto, Hankook, Toyo, and so on were regarded the same way 20 years ago. However, today those brands are mainstream.

I'll update along the way but keep in mind that I don't drive my Camaro very often so if you don't hear from me don't assume my tire choice killed me. If someone wants an update send me a PM or ask for it on this thread.

Thanks, Ken
awesome job Ken, of course when comparing tire brands it can definitely start a riot, yes we all know and trust our traditional brands but unfortunately not all of us can afford high priced tires, Ive sen plenty of cars with Lexani/ delinte/ diablo and all these other off brands tires on them and atleast we know they work and would not be in the US market if they where bad. Also just like in wheels there are only a X amount of tire manufacture's and with in those many brands come out.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
KYVOM1LE

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Did you have to recalibrate your speedometer since you varied the tire size a little from stock? 245/40/21 & 275/35/21
KYVOM1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Ken Wolkens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13DuskKY View Post
Did you have to recalibrate your speedometer since you varied the tire size a little from stock? 245/40/21 & 275/35/21
The outer diameter is different by about 1/2 inch. The difference at 90 MPH is 1.6 MPH so I'm not going to worry about it. I don't run that fast anyhow.

I did make sure to get the front tires at the same diameter as the back so the ABS system wouldn't freak out.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
I've got Lexai tires also,can't complain
Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
Ken Wolkens

How many miles do you have on them?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Ken Wolkens

Update: It seems these tires are a bit more sticky than the original ones. I used to be able to flick the tail end of the car pulling out of my neighborhood onto the main road and now it won't do it with out a lot more throttle.

Maybe they won't wear out as quickly.

Edit: More throttle is definitely needed and they howl like crazy when spinning.

Last edited by Ken Wolkens; 09-30-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Ken Wolkens

Drove the car to South Florida and back yesterday in rain the whole way at freeway speeds. The Lexani Tires did their job perfectly.

350 miles round trip and not once did they feel squirrely in the usual Florida downpours we get.

Road noise is no worse than the original tires but since this is a convertible it's a pretty noisy car to start with and it's pretty hard to tell.

I've got close to 1500 miles on these tires so far and have no complaints.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
Camaro-los

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Thanks for taking the time to write this.

I am starting the search for new tires as I bought some used 20" wheels with some awful tires and set up. I was looking at the lexani ones on Amazon but they have no reviews yet for the 245/45/20 size.

This helps out alot.
Camaro-los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Ken Wolkens

Have had the tires a couple more months and still no complaints.

The biggest difference from the Pirellis is they don't flat spot after sitting. I used to have to drive a few miles on the freeway before the pirellis were round again. Not an issue with these tires.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #12
KYVOM1LE

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Please keep us update as you add more miles. I have to purchase next March/April and this will definitely be an option. One other question, when you bought your tires, was the build date on the tires fairly new or were they a few years old?
KYVOM1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #13
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
A very nice alternative to the factory Pirellis, I also have a set of 21" wheels. I rotate back and forth between those and the 20". I do like the 21" style and looks. When it comes time for new tires I will definitely consider the Lexani Lx-Twenty series.

Thank a lot.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #14
Ken Wolkens

I'm getting ready to install lowering springs in the coming weeks and will get the date codes off of the tires.

I did buy them from a local tire store so the assumption is they are within age range. I usually run into old out of date tires when buying on eBay.