Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Leah's 2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Summit
Talking (UPDATE) Install Complete: Kenwood 9990HD w/Scosche

Very excited that install day is almost here! Will be dropping her off in the morning. I've got a little list of things to discuss with my install dude.

Best place to mount microphone?
Best place to mount antenna?
Can USB's be mounted in center console or where is the best place?
Tape over speaker inside Scosche if blinkers/sound is too loud (?)
Installing Kenwood backup camera: Can it be mounted without drilling?

Things to check for:
Backup sensors and steering wheel controls working

Also, what is a decent price for Dynamat, including installation in doors and rear deck?

Is there anything more y'all can think of that should be addressed beforehand?

Thanks a bunch!

Name:  2012 05 30 002.JPG
Views: 1470
Size:  31.4 KB

Last edited by Leah's 2SS; 06-07-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Leah's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I'll try and answer some of your questions.

1 I have mine mouted right next to the rear view mirror, It is hardly visible.
2 I removed my center speaker so I use it to mount the antenna it not seen.
3 Yes you van use the the center console for the usb. Just take off the rear cover useing the 2 phiilps screws. Unplug the factory cable in connect the new cable. I used this cable cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

4 The blinkers does not go thru the microphone.

5 I do not any thing about the Kenwood back up camera. I have a crimestoppers that mounts on the License plate.

6 The backup sensors does not work. I have a Pioneer head unit and the streering wheels controls work ok

7 did put in speakers so I do not know any thing about the Dynamat so I can not help you with that.

That all I can tell
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Leah's 2SS

Thank you, Caddyroger. Your answers give me something to work with and I appreciate it!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2

Hmm i have some different answers for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah's 2SS View Post
Best place to mount microphone?

Under the rear view mirror mount

Quote:
Best place to mount antenna?

Where center speaker was

Quote:
Can USB's be mounted in center console or where is the best place?

If you have IPOD/iphone and you want to play from it you need the cable KCA-iP202. It does reach the center console hole where the factory connection was at but stretched. So i have mine in the glove compartment. I did however utilize a usb to mini cable as my 2nd usb cable to connect to the factory USB connection. That's the one i use for firmware updates or to add pictures

Quote:
Tape over speaker inside Scosche if blinkers/sound is too loud (?)

Doesnt sound bad at all in my opinion. The speaker is in the back of the dash kit behind the touch screen.

Quote:
Installing Kenwood backup camera: Can it be mounted without drilling?

The one I have (Third Eye TE-SBC) was mounted with some type of adhesive instead of drilling. However the mount has the whole to drill.

Quote:
Backup sensors and steering wheel controls working

Backup sensors do work.
SWC For the 9990 you will have to mod the wires. Here is the link to the PDF i received from Scosche. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...0&d=1337862200

Quote:
Also, what is a decent price for Dynamat, including installation in doors and rear deck?

I did mine in 2 phases.
1st phase I did the trunk only. I used 1 pack of Ballistic SSBK at 250 for material and 250 for labor
2nd phase I did the entire rear of the inside of the car including the rear side panels & top of the rear deck. I also did the doors (on the door panel and on the door). Used 2 packs of Roadkill RKX36B at $350 and one pack of Roadkill RKO12 ( this is foam pad) for $75. Labor for the 2nd phase was 550
Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Leah's 2SS

camarograna2 - Thank you so much!

Other than the uncertainty with the cable (see below), everything is set, thanks to both yours and caddyroger's replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
Hmm i have some different answers for you

Under the rear view mirror mount

Perfect on the mic

Where center speaker was

Want to go this route with the antenna for sure

If you have IPOD/iphone and you want to play from it you need the cable KCA-iP202. It does reach the center console hole where the factory connection was at but stretched. So i have mine in the glove compartment. I did however utilize a usb to mini cable as my 2nd usb cable to connect to the factory USB connection. That's the one i use for firmware updates or to add pictures

I ordered the KCA-iP202 cable and it is suppose to arrive today (Thursday). The 2 USB's that come from the back of the 9990 headunit are pretty short. Is this cable suppose to replace the short iPod/iPhone cable? If so, I will more than likely need to run it to the install guy before the headunit is put back together. Am I correct in my thinking on this?

Doesnt sound bad at all in my opinion. The speaker is in the back of the dash kit behind the touch screen.

Good to know. I saw on the kit where the speaker is, but will wait to do anything until I hear it first.

The one I have (Third Eye TE-SBC) was mounted with some type of adhesive instead of drilling. However the mount has the whole to drill.

Thanks!

Backup sensors do work.
SWC For the 9990 you will have to mod the wires. Here is the link to the PDF i received from Scosche. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...0&d=1337862200

So glad there is a fix! Printed and will take it with me. With tunes sounding so good/loud) I doubt I will hear them, but still want them to work if possible.

I did mine in 2 phases.
1st phase I did the trunk only. I used 1 pack of Ballistic SSBK at 250 for material and 250 for labor
2nd phase I did the entire rear of the inside of the car including the rear side panels & top of the rear deck. I also did the doors (on the door panel and on the door). Used 2 packs of Roadkill RKX36B at $350 and one pack of Roadkill RKO12 ( this is foam pad) for $75. Labor for the 2nd phase was 550

Wow! This is crazy good stuff. Serious business!!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
I ordered the KCA-iP202 cable and it is suppose to arrive today (Thursday). The 2 USB's that come from the back of the 9990 headunit are pretty short. Is this cable suppose to replace the short iPod/iPhone cable? If so, I will more than likely need to run it to the install guy before the headunit is put back together. Am I correct in my thinking on this?
Edit my response. I took a look at the radio now and i see what you mean. the 2 usb female connections are for you to connect your USB cables.

The KCA_iP202 will be what is connected to your IPOD/IPHONE so you will not need apples cable. That cable has a male USB on one end and the apple connection on the other end.

Im using the radios 2nd usb connection to plug a Male to Mini-B 5pin Male connection. the mini_B 5 pin connects to the factory usb hub that is in your center armrest compartment. I use this for picture and firmware updates and i bought it from monoprice. This one i bought 6feet so it would be long enough. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

**Note you cant use apple products on this as it wont play the songs.

By the way, where in Texas are you?

Last edited by camarograna2; 05-31-2012 at 10:39 AM.
camarograna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Leah's 2SS

Perfect. Thanks so much! I'm in the Fort Worth area. Not too far from Keller at all.

Shouldn't be too much longer until I get to go pick her up. So excited to hear and see everything installed!!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Leah's 2SS

LOVE this system!

PERFECT INSTALL!! Car Toys rocks!! So happy I took it to them. I love everything about this system and could not be more pleased with the sound. With windows down, sunroof back, blastin' down the highway, PURE CLARITY with lots of loudness. YES!! So glad I had the Dynamat installed, too.

Unfortunately, yet another issue was found that has to be resolved from the original BAD install. (See "Issues with new Install" thread)

When pulling the panel back on the passenger side rear window, it was discovered that the defrost thing had been broken and hanging loose. Now to figure out how to handle this. Not cool and not sure what the fix for it is. Will the entire back window have to be replaced???? Any ideas? Hoping it's nothing THAT drastic.

Name:  brokendefrostcircled.JPG
Views: 1272
Size:  22.4 KB

Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Im not sure if its part of the window or soldered on, Sorry to hear your still have issues from that nightmare of and install.
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Leah's 2SS

Thanks Kevin. Hoping it's not a big deal to repair. Nightmare is a good word for it. Just ordered a new JL amp to replace the other. Polk went on and off several times again today after playing a while. Must be overheating.

SO glad I have a new install guy. He's super awesome!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
You cant go wrong with JL!!!
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Leah's 2SS

So glad to hear this! (again) Installer said the same thing. I have the XD400/4 coming.

I'm gettin' there by gosh! Endurance prevails!!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
I am having my 9990HD installed tomorrow but with the Metra Kit, (Carbon Fiber) I cant wait to see how it performs. Better door speakers and subwoofer next on the agenda.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforbes View Post
I am having my 9990HD installed tomorrow but with the Metra Kit, (Carbon Fiber) I cant wait to see how it performs. Better door speakers and subwoofer next on the agenda.
i love my DNX9990HD :headband:

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 camaro 2ss/rs, installation, kenwood 9990hd, scosche