Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Lowering springs & load rate

Of the three, BMR Hotchkis & PFADT lowering springs; which has the highest load rate? That is the weight the spring was designed to support at a given ride height. Also which has the larger bar diameter?
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckclanton View Post
Of the three, BMR Hotchkis & PFADT lowering springs; which has the highest load rate? That is the weight the spring was designed to support at a given ride height. Also which has the larger bar diameter?
Hey Chuck, I'm trying to understand if you just want engineering speak or if you are trying to solve an issue with your car. I can help with either but I don't want to bore you. My guess is you want to lower your car and maybe your vehicle is heavier dude to a big stereo system or having 4 people ride with you and you want to make sure your car keeps its handling characteristics as well as doesn't bottom out or bounce.

Pfadt springs are designed to lower the vehicle and boost factory performance in turns as well as straight line. You will keep your shock travel as well as not bottom out with Pfadt springs.

If that doesn't answer your question please let me know
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hey Chuck, I'm trying to understand if you just want engineering speak or if you are trying to solve an issue with your car. I can help with either but I don't want to bore you. My guess is you want to lower your car and maybe your vehicle is heavier dude to a big stereo system or having 4 people ride with you and you want to make sure your car keeps its handling characteristics as well as doesn't bottom out or bounce.

Pfadt springs are designed to lower the vehicle and boost factory performance in turns as well as straight line. You will keep your shock travel as well as not bottom out with Pfadt springs.

If that doesn't answer your question please let me know
Hotchkis sent me the load rates for their lowering springs. I want to compare with the other options.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303171
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
chuckclanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK67 View Post
Got the load rate from Hotchkis. 973lb front, 1143lb rear. No response from PFADT or BMR. Maybe they don't even know! Means Hotchkis my choice along with Koni Yellows when they are released.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Got the load rate from Hotchkis. 973lb front, 1143lb rear. No response from PFADT or BMR. Maybe they don't even know! Means Hotchkis my choice along with Koni Yellows when they are released.
Chuck,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, the end of the year is always a very busy time of year for us so it takes us a little longer to get back to e-mails and give us very little time to spend here on the forums. I will say that it is very presumptuous to say that we don't know the specs of our lowering springs just because we don't get back to your right away on questions you have.

With that being said the load rate of our front springs in 990lbs and the load rate of our rear springs is 1104lbs. If there is anything else we can help you out with let us know.

Kyle
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Chuck, I didn't answer your question because it was the weekend. Those are my 2 days a week to hang out with my family and I do my best not to do work those two days, although many times that doesn't happen. I assume you have days off from your job and wouldn't appreciate someone assuming you were ignorant when you were in fact spending time with your kids.

That being said, we rate our spring rates differently than these other guys so I don't know how much help I will be in your search but here are the numbers.

Stock Camaro Springs are 150 lbs/in in the front and 375 lbs/in in the rear.
Pfadt Camaro Springs are 210 lbs/in in the front*and 425 lbs/in in the rear.

That's a 40% stiffer front end and a 15% stiffer rear end.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Just had to say WOW! I wouldn't want to sell to that guy if he expects a speedy response over the weekend and makes a buying decision over it!
No worries Pfadt- I'm ordering and will make up your loss of sale from this guy!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hotchkis are 220/440 and ride and handle fine. Dont know why load rate is needed?
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Hotchkis are 220/440 and ride and handle fine. Dont know why load rate is needed?
Hmm...
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteboarder85 View Post
Hmm...
That would be a tad over the cars load carrying capacity. Dont think any spring designed for that...lol
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
For a suspension guru, she'd be HOT. She's shaped like a progressive spring. Smallish at the top and bottom, with some massive size in the middle. I'd bet the ride is quite comfy as well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote