Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Meguiar's Glass Cleaner vs Invisible Glass Cleaner - Thrifty vs Fifty Episode 6

Hey guys, this is the sixth episode in a series of videos I'm making called Thrifty vs Fifty.

Essentially I'm comparing two products that can do the same function: one with a low price tag and the other with a high one... and to see if the added price is worth it. Hence, the thrifty vs fifty.

I'm not just going around finding the cheapest and most expensive options out there and comparing them. In my eyes, that comparison would be useless. I am comparing two products that people on forums have highly recommended for a certain task and then if they have big enough different price points, making a video comparison.

Today's episode is on glass cleaners.

Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate vs Invisible Glass Cleaner!

http://youtu.be/jYhf2wWUnDw

Hope you enjoy!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Dammit Roshan! Y U NO do Adam's vs. D120??! Lol that's the one I would like to have video evidence of to shut up the AA and a true thrifty vs. fifty.

Your results are exactly what I find. There is no difference between Stoner's, D120, and Adam's besides cost. They are the top 3 IMO, and identical.

Nice job.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Dammit Roshan! Y U NO do Adam's vs. D120??! Lol that's the one I would like to have video evidence of to shut up the AA and a true thrifty vs. fifty.

Your results are exactly what I find. There is no difference between Stoner's, D120, and Adam's besides cost. They are the top 3 IMO, and identical.

Nice job.
I don't have any Adam's glass cleaner lol! Besides these videos go on Autogeek and I've been reprimanded before for putting up reviews of their products there.

Autopia Forums is nice about doing whatever products I want so my Adam's reviews go there.

And yeah, I have used Adam's glass cleaner before, and I agree. Not better, not worse, just identically amazing at cleaning glass. So why pay more for it?

Thanks for watching

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
This was a really great video, windows are always a pain to deal with.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Good looking out Roshan!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Something told me paying more for glass cleaning product isnt always worth it.

I really like your thrifty vs fifty series, keep it up.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
I'll have to look into getting some of that Meguiar's D120, costs less and does a great job. Nice review.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Note 2.
CAE intake, Borla Type S exhaust, TSP LT headers, stage 2 CMS cam tuned by Ryne, MGW short shifter, Carbon fiber Anvil trunk spoiler, Havoc rear diffuser with carbon fiber insert, GM GFX side skirts, ACS T4 front lip spoiler, 20" MRR 228 Gloss Black Wheels wrapped in Nitto INVO rubber, carbon fiber radio fin, Wilpak black rear window louvers.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
This me shutting up until my gallon of Adams glass cleaner is gone. :0) that said, I'll probably go back to something thrifty once I've exhausted that supply.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I will try and do the price math.

Invisible glass cleaner avg retail price is $9 for 22oz (650ml)

Mequiar's glass cleaner concentrate avg online price is $20 for 1Galon (128oz, 3785ml), delusion of 10:1 water to concentrate
10 Galons of distilled water is roughly $10
Empty 22oz empty Plastic spray bottle $2
Total $32 for approximately 1280oz or 37850ml

If I do the math per oz

Invisible glass is 9$/22oz = $0.41 per oz
Meguiar's is $32/1280oz = $0.03 per oz

Next question is how many bottles do you get for the $32 investment?

Sending $32 total for the Meguiar's equates to 58 bottles of Invisible glass.

The cost of 3.5 retail bottles of invisible glass is same as spending the $32 for 58 bottles of Meguiar's.

58 bottles of glass cleaner is basically lifetime supply? I guess it depends. But invisible glass I use on almost everything glass/window related around the house too.

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Thank you all for watching Appreciate the nice words!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayheM View Post
I will try and do the price math.

Invisible glass cleaner avg retail price is $9 for 22oz (650ml)

Mequiar's glass cleaner concentrate avg online price is $20 for 1Galon (128oz, 3785ml), delusion of 10:1 water to concentrate
10 Galons of distilled water is roughly $10
Empty 22oz empty Plastic spray bottle $2
Total $32 for approximately 1280oz or 37850ml

If I do the math per oz

Invisible glass is 9$/22oz = $0.41 per oz
Meguiar's is $32/1280oz = $0.03 per oz

Next question is how many bottles do you get for the $32 investment?

Sending $32 total for the Meguiar's equates to 58 bottles of Invisible glass.

The cost of 3.5 retail bottles of invisible glass is same as spending the $32 for 58 bottles of Meguiar's.

58 bottles of glass cleaner is basically lifetime supply? I guess it depends. But invisible glass I use on almost everything glass/window related around the house too.
Speaking of Glass cleaners, has anyone ever heard of Zep ammonia free glass cleaner sold at Lowe's and Home Depot? it is 128oz concentrate that makes 32 gallons of window cleaner and it is meant for use on tinted windows including auto. just happened on to it today while surfing the net looking for auto glass cleaners. gonna pick up a jug next time I am over that way!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
Speaking of Glass cleaners, has anyone ever heard of Zep ammonia free glass cleaner sold at Lowe's and Home Depot? it is 128oz concentrate that makes 32 gallons of window cleaner and it is meant for use on tinted windows including auto. just happened on to it today while surfing the net looking for auto glass cleaners. gonna pick up a jug next time I am over that way!
Please do tell about how you like it. That would be a great alternative for people who don't want to order online.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

forgot to mention that Zep goes for 10.97 a jug if I remember right, if it is similar to the name brands and does the job that would be a smoking value

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Please do tell about how you like it. That would be a great alternative for people who don't want to order online.
just bought some this afternoon and mixed up a bottle right after I got home. the only thing I have to compare it to is Stoners. While it doesn't seem to be quite as "lucent" as stoners it does the job pretty well from what I can tell. will try some distilled water instead of tap water the next time I mix it up to see if it makes a difference. still need to clean inside where the windows are tinted, and I have a tight area around the rear brake light to try it out some more in the next couple days.

So first impression after cleaning the exterior glass is it does the job at a fraction of the cost of more expensive alternatives and didn't have to pay for shipping. 11 dollars, compared to 20-30 dollars for megiuars, or even more with other concentrated name brand ammonia free versions. and no shipping expense. if I could get the Megs d120 locally I would probably pay the extra 10-15 dollars. but since stoners runs 4 dollars a 22oz bottle the Zep is a good alternative.

Once I do the interior areas and inspect the windows inside out I will post my follow up probably on saturday.