Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #85
tweeter81

Drives: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
ive been saying that the whole time
You two can both simply slap on a supercharger on your LS3s and try and fit some wider tires (good luck making 285s and 325s fit, by the way), and then do a drag run or, even better, take a lap around a road course and see how close your non-Warranty SS comes to the Z/28. It won't even be close, you would get destroyed. There is a few other tiny details that you are forgetting about that will make the Z/28 a vastly superior platform: MR shocks, huge rubber, better cooling, more aggressive bodywork, awesome CTS-V brakes, and an intact GM Warranty.

But, by all means, keep modding those SS's of yours (and see if you can match the list above and come in under $50K), meanwhile the guys who buy Z/28s will mod them as well, and basically have supercar performance at that point.

2004 CTS-V
Mods: CAI, Spoiler, SW Heat Extractor Hood, PC'ed CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo R888 (F: 235/35ZR19 - R: 295/30ZR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ bushings, Ground Control Coilover Kit (750f/800r), FG2 shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Coated LT Headers, ARP Header Studs, NGK TR55ix, SS Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, GForce Axles, Monster Stage 2 w/ 18 lb Flywheel, D.P.S.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)
tweeter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #86
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2016 corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
You two can both simply slap on a supercharger on your LS3s and try and fit some wider tires (good luck making 285s and 325s fit, by the way), and then do a drag run or, even better, take a lap around a road course and see how close your non-Warranty SS comes to the Z/28. It won't even be close, you would get destroyed. There is a few other tiny details that you are forgetting about that will make the Z/28 a vastly superior platform: MR shocks, huge rubber, better cooling, more aggressive bodywork, awesome CTS-V brakes, and an intact GM Warranty.

But, by all means, keep modding those SS's of yours (and see if you can match the list above and come in under $50K), meanwhile the guys who buy Z/28s will mod them as well, and basically have supercar performance at that point.
How true. At the end of the day, you will still have a everyday SS. The Z in on another level.

As a owner of a modified CTS-V, it doesnt take much to make 700hp on a LSA equipped car. A 9.5 pulley and full exhaust for around 3k is a bargain
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #87
WA SSRS

Drives: White 2010 2SS RS, Black 2010 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Au Contrair, DroptopZ!!!!

You got the point correctly. And your logic is sound too, although I beg to differ on the end result.

You are probably correct in that an LS7 engined Z28 will not draw too many buyers from the CORVETTE, however my point is: will GM dare to thread in such delicate ground???

As much as we, car enthusiasts, hate it, cars are manufactured as an enterprise product, profitability being at the core of each production cycle scheme.

While in better times I believe GM might have risked it and carry on the approach that you suggest, I believe that today's GM will not dare so.

The smell of bankruptcy is still pungent on its executive corridors and I'm sure more than one company director is secretly surprised, elated (and relieved) that during the economic debacle of the last 24 months, their flag sports car, CORVETTE and the new sport offering, CAMARO, made not only the black ink, but actually posted good returns and sustained sales figures.

Let's remember that these are dedicated platforms which share very, very little components with other cars produced by GM. Their figures have to make it on their own for them to continue being viable and to continue being a profit center for the company.

I do not know this for a fact but I will not be surprised if there is some corporate directive forbidding the Z28 to be developed at the expense of jeopardizing or affecting the market niche and the sales figures of the CORVETTE icon, which is making money in these hard times: the directive might be akin to "bring in more customers, not divide the ones we already have".

Then again perhaps I'm too locked in this train of tought and your proposal might make the best business model to follow for both model vehicles.

On one thing I'm certain though: there is still a debate within the powers that be at GM and until this is settled one way or another, we will have no real commitment to deliver the Z28.

Finally: my absolute respect to the businessmen and businesswomen of the car industry. My words towards them might sound harsh, however, without their focus on the business part of the equation required to manufacture, distribute and sell autos in a profitable manner, most of the automotive dreams that were once seated or are now awaiting inside our garages will have never seen the light of day.

I guess some boneheads have to do the dirty job...Ooopps!! Here I go again!

Best regards,

The Flash

p.d.: sorry about the previous incomplete posting... let's call it a botched gearshift..!
Flash and Droptop:
You guys make very good points but are a few steps behind whats really happening! Get your LSA ( High HP Edition) Camaro now because in a couple years it's gone. Has nothing to do with Corvettes! The same thing that killed these cars in the late 60's and 1970 have doomed them again. Cafe standards (Govt fuel efficiency standards)

My bet is the 2012 wont be called a Z28 because the original Z28's had 302 cubes and were track cars (more about handling and SCCA), not 500 HP or 427 behemoths going stoplight to stoplight (read SS Camaro here). So with the 2012 having an LSA and 500 plus HP it will be called something else.

There wont be an LS7 to compete with the Laguna Seca Mustang, it will be a 5.5 liter, already in the Vette C6R when they moved to GT class. Maybe it will come out around the same time as the Camaro gets it's new redesigned platform and drops a few pounds (2014?) Maybe the next iteration Camaro with a 5.5 liter will be called Z28, competing with Fords Coyote engines/ Laguna Seca etc.

BTW, There are two Chevy dealerships already producing the Camaro's you want; an LSX 454 Cube NA and a LS9 SC'd Camaro. These could be called todays COPO's....

Check out DeNooyer in NY and NeSmith in Georgia as mentioned in GM's performance parts catalogue

Whether factory or dealer COPO, get your baddest Camaro now, because in a few years, they're all gone, as histoty repeats itself

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...e9#/0637c8e9/4

I know,

Best,
ZR1
WA SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #88
mondain

Drives: toyota
Who cares what original Z28's had, those cars (and that company, really) are dead. If that logic were true, since SS Camaro was top of the horsepower heap, we should never ever see a Camaro with more hp than a Camaro SS (GT500 be damned!).

As you can see, that logic makes little sense

GM can use any badging they want on any model they want, the 99.999981% of the population interested in a Camaro could care less if the badging "goes up against" the name of some car from the 60s or 70s they prolly never owned. I'd rather not yearn for a heyday by looking backward.

Who's to say GM wont hire out Yenko to do a Boss302 killer on the 2015 Alpha chassis? No one
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #89
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post

You sir, tread upon my dreams and I find your breath rather offensive. -_-
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #90
gielr

Drives: 1984 iroc-z28/1998 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
This car is going to be a beast.
hey man i like you are dead on
gielr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #91
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
I like it. but I'm with ssooch... ditch the sunroof.
+1 That is what I did on my SS. I have owned too many sunroofs. I like the extra headroom with the sunroof gone! !Vamanos!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #92
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Underwhelmed, but then again.... pre-production and camo, wait and see approach.

Waiting for an MSRP before I decide on my order.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #93
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
Beautiful car, I wish we had and could get those wheels in post #11

My big question is why do they still have the ugly grill, why noy put the heritage grill on the Z?

Last edited by Mike2ss; 01-31-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Mike2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Interesting comments and automotive forecasts in here...
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #95
del-boy
"Grumble Bee"

Drives: Cyber Grey Camaro SS/RS
any one seen a pic of the camaro with the chin spoiler without the ground fx pack?

holler at me!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #96
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote