Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
iRacing

Well, after my reminiscent post about Papyrus and how good the driving games they made were...I found out about iRacing.

It's a subscription service, so that may turn some people off...but I just joined up for a 3 month pass at 30 bucks. If anyone else considers joining up, remember that you probably also want to get a steering wheel and pedals as well.

This is not a console GAME. This is a simulation.

You race with other people, and there are many people online that do this. I haven't joined any races yet, but if it's anything like the people that played Nascar live with other people...they don't take it well when you wreck them. In other words, you drive like you would at a track. Accidents happen, but there might be repercussions for wrecking people on a constant basis.

I read the reviews, and this is exactly the type of simulation I love to play. Some of you might enjoy it too.

If anyone else does decide to try this out, let me know. Maybe we can get a C5 race going You can join for a month to try it out as well, for something like 10 bucks. The major expense would be the steering wheel, which you will almost have to have.

Here's a review:

Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Cadillac CTS-V as an example too

Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
First of all iRacing is a money pit. The more you feed it the better you had better get. Pay for tracks, pay for cars, pay to race and pay to wreck. You have to graduate to better series, but if you are a wrecker, you'll never advance. No matter how much money you sink into it. Try rFactor! Dozens of series, tracks and hundreds of friends to race with. Last I chkd the download was like $30 and you can download hundreds of tracks and cars. No available in stores. rFactor rocks

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxty9GTO View Post
First of all iRacing is a money pit. The more you feed it the better you had better get. Pay for tracks, pay for cars, pay to race and pay to wreck. You have to graduate to better series, but if you are a wrecker, you'll never advance. No matter how much money you sink into it. Try rFactor! Dozens of series, tracks and hundreds of friends to race with. Last I chkd the download was like $30 and you can download hundreds of tracks and cars. No available in stores. rFactor rocks
I might give that a try if I'm disappointed by iRacing. I didn't wreck a lot in the online Nascar stuff and did pretty well there.

We'll see...I'll let people know. I'm giving it a chance because of what Papyrus did for the genre early on.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
i read about this awhile ago, thought about it then, but don't want to end up spending all my free time on the computer.

you really need to invest a good amount of time to succeed.

looks like a hell of a lot of fun though!!
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Well, iRacing is pretty much what I expected. I really haven't been able to truly drive a car though because my old steering wheel was serial, and so I ended up ordering this over the weekend, should be in mid-week.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16879337010

It's really hard trying to control car with a joystick and a slider throttle. My old wheel did not have a clutch pedal.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
sxty9GTO
VEGAS 11

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I ran with a Momo wheel and ECCI pedals for years. The amount of control from a good wheel/pedal combo is astronomical. I started with Grand Prix Legends, NASCAR 3 then the mods started hitting and I was ecstatic, Trans Am, 79' Grand Prix. Ran my own league for a couple seasons. Check out my friends on iRacing at Champion Motorsports. Tell them I sent you. They might remember me, LOL

Keep On Trucking
sxty9GTO is offline   Reply With Quote