Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
seen the air system, wow sucking air through a 1" hole sucks.....no wonder the kias can hang with them...
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
130R

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfichter View Post
If you guys want more news about the camaros in PWC look up Breathless Performance Pro Race Team on facebook. They are running 2 camaros this year, actually today was their first practice runs. Im on the team but I am racing a mini this year in PWC. Hopefully next year I will be running a camaro. And the reason they run the zl1 front end and hood is for better airflow and the front ends are easier to add downforce options to. If any of you come to a world challenge race feel free to stop by and check out the cars, we also love to talk to the fans. Also the team has a account on here, BPPRacingTeam.
Will you be at Long Beach?
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfichter View Post
All of us will be there feel free to stop by. I would watch the races tomorrow at st. Pete it should be a good race.
A couple of us from Atlanta will be there Saturday and will stop by.

Looking forward to this.
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #18
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by driser View Post
A couple of us from Atlanta will be there Saturday and will stop by.

Looking forward to this.
Alright sounds good.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #19
wally mayfield

Seems the kia's are violating this rule:

2.1.2: In keeping with this purpose, vehicles and products used in the series must be identifiable with the vehicles and products offered for sale to the public and available through the manufacturer’s normal distribution channels.
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #20
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Seems the kia's are violating this rule:

2.1.2: In keeping with this purpose, vehicles and products used in the series must be identifiable with the vehicles and products offered for sale to the public and available through the manufacturer’s normal distribution channels.
Which Kias are you referring to, the Gt cars or the TCB ones. Both I don't believe violate this rule because both are built from the production car offered for sale.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
wally mayfield

Says "vehicles AND PRODUCTS ...and offered for sale to the public"....its my understanding the engines and parts that go on them for the Kia's is not available to the public,,,,,
Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
jasonfichter

Quote:
Says "vehicles AND PRODUCTS ...and offered for sale to the public"....its my understanding the engines and parts that go on them for the Kia's is not available to the public,,,,,
Never thought about that. I'm friends with the mechanics over there so I'll find out about there engines. I'm not exactly sure about that though, good topic to research.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #23
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Last year Mitchum Motorsports sold one of their GS.R Camaros to someone in this series. Since the cars in the CTSCC are cars that are taken off the showroom floor, then sent out to be turned into race cars, I would have to believe the rules are similar. They start life as a production car, but don't hit the track that way. A lot of components on them aren't available to the public. For instance, the doors on the CTSCC Camaro are CF and weigh 7 pounds. Now maybe the PWC rules make them put stock doors back on, don't know. Just saying, except for some safety and suspension mods, they are basically production cars. As for motors, they are also tweaked one way or the other to even out the playing field. Would a KIA run with a Camaro SS on the street, I'm sure there are few import fanboys who think so, but we know for real. On the track with a sanctioning body's rules, no doubt.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
wally mayfield

Is it Blackdog thats a member in here?? anyway the racer said our street cars could out run the race car because of the restricted air intake, the camaro sucks air through a one inch hole..the top performing Kia has 275 horsepower..stock..the thing out runs the camaro at the end of a long straight away..AND the mustangs are not even in the same race..
Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Is it Blackdog thats a member in here?? anyway the racer said our street cars could out run the race car because of the restricted air intake, the camaro sucks air through a one inch hole..the top performing Kia has 275 horsepower..stock..the thing out runs the camaro at the end of a long straight away..AND the mustangs are not even in the same race..

All modern racing series that don't race identical cars like NASCAR have "Balance of Performance" modifications that are mandated by the race organization. That means after the race team guts out the car, adds safety equipment and then modifies the tires/suspension/engine according to the rulebook, the cars are then balanced against all other cars in their class by adding/reducing weight, air restrictor size, engine RPM and sometimes for endurance racing, the size of the gas tank.

At least there aren't any more tube frame "Camaro" racecars in US racing anymore like in the old Grand-Am GT class last year. There was almost nothing shared between those cars and the production Camaro. I don't know how close to stock the PWC Camaros are, but I know that the Z/28.R Camaros in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge are very close to stock. They don't use the Multimatic shocks because of the lack of adjustability and the Z/28 stock rotors aren't allowed in the series.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #26
wally mayfield

Great..nows theres a scion in the class with the camaros..........I think its one of the 7 signs the end is near.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #27
wally mayfield

I wonder how the V6 Camaro would hold up in this race..if it was allowed to be hopped up like the Kia's are..
Old 06-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #28
wally mayfield

Im going to go to the sonoma races in august...

no long straights should be a good race..