Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
2010 SS engine gone - seeking choices

Car in Austin TX. 2010 SS M6 with everything on it, blue. 80K on the clock.

Love my car, and use it as a daily driver; but it rests indoors, great condition - greater as a parking lot hit got the front bumper replaced and lights shined, and car shined up, in the last week, looks amazing.

Just was told 'blew a rod' or something, blah blah the bearing. Engine gone. It's sitting at Lambs Tire and Automotive. $8500 (or 8 thousand and something my brain shut down) to replace the engine, and that the labor to replace or fix the bottom end would eat into cost of just replacing engine.

I figure you on here would understand the market better. This repair bill is more than half of any valuation on the car were it still working.

I'd hoped to one day get a ZL1 - yeah, and world peace. Lotta decisions, need something to drive.

Or turn this around and replace the 2010's engine, for a few grand more, with something real powerful? But then there's the problem of the rest of the drivetrain, and an aging car.

Wonder if people here who know the market, know the car, etc. can give me some sane options - as I'm not currently thinking straight.

Sell the rest of the car? Replace engine and sell car? Replace engine and keep driving it (does new motor put its value up a bit?). Fix it some other way?
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
It seems like the shop wants to sell you a new/used engine at full retail. If it was me, I'd just get the bottom end fixed.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Standard

More info - they say it's the rod bearing; but to inspect it I'd have to roll the dice for $900 to cut the front crossmember to get access.

As per a friend who's advising me (though not an LS3 guy) - he's saying take it somewhere else and try to get the bearing replaced.

Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Yeah, very wise advice. Take it somewhere else ASAP.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
First, I am sorry this happened to you. Second, this is the perfect opportunity to build that LS3.
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
used LS3's dime a dozen bro! find a decent shop that doesn't want to rape you! and keep it fer cryin out loud....sh!t happens and who's to say your "new" ride will be perfect? at least you know the history on this one...drive train should be fine unless crap somehow got into the tranny(auto?)...not an issue if M6...good luck!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If they are going to "cut the crossmember" get it out of there... hacks.

And if the pan hasn't been dropped yet, they are just guessing what is wrong with it.

If the lower end has had a catastrophic failure, the easiest fix is finding a low mileage take out LS3.

To your friends idea.... can't just replace a bearing. When an engine spins a rod bearing... complete rebuild. Spin a main bearing... complete engine.

The only way to know really what it needs is to pull the engine out and apart. But, if you know its a lower end knock...I'd start looking for a low mileage LS3 take out. By the time you do a rebuild with a new rotating assembly... you're thousands into it.... might get lucky and for roughly the same find a low mileage one to drop in.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Standard

Thanks for all the advice all.

Thanks @Russel. I'm going to be looking and comparing a low mileage used, vs new, motor.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Agree with the other's that have said to get your car the heck out of there and take it somewhere else, these guys sound like a bunch of hacks that would end up taking you for a ride ... and not a good one. First, if they are saying that need to cut the cross member to get to and inspect/work on the engine, they obviously don't have a clue on how to work on this car (or any other for that matter) or they are trying to rip you off. Second, if all you did was spin a bearing and/or throw a rod, the engine can be rebuilt as long as there was no (unrepairable) damage to any of the cylinders or the block. Long story short, years ago spun bearings on the engine in my first car, took a weekend to rebuild it; drove it for another 1K+ miles before selling. Good luck on resolving your issue.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Actually some crates can be had online and given the cost of a complete one $6500 plus usual price the cost is not bad with labor and materials. And you may be able to keep the others parts that are good and of course much will be used on the new engine. But it is fully assembled so easy to install and checking on that price more towards 7 grand; and eight grand and what ever is not bad......

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=ls3+crat...6B8912D6C8CCC4

IN your case I think I would even splurge and get this one.... and spend the extra coin to get to 525 flywheel with a ASA cam.....

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...annel=Shopping

And you could even sell off the new pan and intake as yours will be on it.

You did not just get told it blew a rod you drove it when it happened and know it had to be knocking and if its scarred up the cylinder walls its trashed the engine most likely as we are only able to over hone our cast in sleeves .020 over...max.

Being your in Texas you should talk to Texas Speed and Performance, and I love my Monster clutch its a feel like stock only 700 hp capable rwhp a thought to maybe swap in a investment in longevity with a dual disc upgrade some being more and some less with a nice Monster billet aluminum bearing support for the slave. They are in Louisiana..Monster, and I used to love my 235/239 cam from TSP now I have different this engine.

For myself I went internet with SAG performance and custom engine supply via ebay stuff checking out thompson and others strokers and added my own stuff like C5r timing chain, tensioner, High volume pump , cam,head gasket, gaskets, gear, pushrods,upgraded trunnions, springs for CNC GMPP heads for like 1400$ heads, $5000 forged 428 stroker short block shipped assembled no pan etc,

SO you can get the basics and then assemble with say another thousand dollars of quality parts and gaskets and get a animal... I know lots of guys like 416s and such from places like TSP, Livernois, Lingenfelter, Hennessey etc.. etc but some like others.... Its in what ever you want but your budget has to consider all the costs to be able to handle paying for it and for the purpose you want it... SO good luck to you in your decision making and fund raising.... sounds like you had a tough break.... You should have gotten many more miles but had a failure.

And as we all know crap happens. Build it and enjoy....or even mild stock it should last a few hundred thousand miles...You had trouble.

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-08-2017 at 06:31 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
short block option in your neck of the woods...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TMS-LS3...rFjVUA&vxp=mtr
Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I got a LSX 376 B-8 crate motor direct from the local dealership for just over $5000.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
This guy did a rebuild in his garage... freakin awesome.

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #14
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
I got a LSX 376 B-8 crate motor direct from the local dealership for just over $5000.
That's the way to go if just want a stock replacement! The LS3 replacement from GM is probably less! Comes with a warranty!