Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Needing Some Help Headers or No

Gents, I am in a bit a pickle perse. I really want to wake up the Camaro both sound and performance wise. Right now exhaust is stock except suitcases. I really want to get get headers and muffin informs that she might be up for that for a Santa gift. The problem is if I do get headers then I will need several hundred bucks come spring to work with DynoSteve (meaning getting a tuner and tune/s). Some will say cant you live with error codes and the answer is no. If I do headers imo I will have to do tune also.

2nd part please: with stock exhaust plus headers will I get a deep sound with no drone? Anyway to mimic the sound of classic muscle?

Thanks
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I bet dynoSteve at RDP would be happy to put a header/tune deal together for you...as for no drone you will need to either get muff's that deal with it or as I will be doing in the future adding J-pipes to my axle back...

making the LS3 sound like classic muscle IMHO is a stretch...these freakin motors are more like nascar so I say EMBRACE the rasp! It's also a major slap in the face to peeps you walk on or a seriously funny way to wake up the left lane lemmings as you pass in the right...

made this vid when I still had the 3.45's in...still sounds the same just a sh!t load quicker now!

Good luck and let's us know how it goes!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'm not a fan of headers with the stock suitcase mufflers. Sounds kinda raspy to my ear. The stock NPP mufflers with headers though is that sweet deep muscle car sound with the flaps open.

The LS3 can be made deep with no rasp. ARH complete system thunders. I really like LT's with NPP... to me it's perfect and no drone.

A cheap route to a deeper tone with stock exhaust, and no tuning... just do high flow cats.

I had some Solos on a car, all else stock... nice sound. Not race car header sound, but a lot nicer than stock.

There is no cheap way around doing headers right.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
yeah i get that. Hmm, decisions decisions.

Maybe I will get Santa to send lowering springs instead...or, maybe a nice shifter, or, maybe.....this could go on and on
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Stainless works retro chambered cat back. That's what you need
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Maybe see what kind of Black Friday deals are available and score both headers/tune.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
i'm waiting to see if any specials will be out for black friday. but i've done (IMO) enough research on this forum. I will be going with Texas speed headers and high flo cats. i have to keep my cats and i really don't want to weld or buy different parts from different companies. So texas speed is what i'm buying. I am keeping my exhaust as my SS came with the NPP and i just love that poppin sound.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I had Kooks 1 7/8 headers hi-flow cats and stock exhaust and didn't sound all that bad, but I wanted to get rid of the unsightly garbage can mufflers so I bought Solo Performance Mach-X cat-back. Car sounded even better. You're right a tune is the way to go with the headers. I got my tune from Janetty Racing.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
I had Kooks 1 7/8 headers hi-flow cats and stock exhaust and didn't sound all that bad, but I wanted to get rid of the unsightly garbage can mufflers so I bought Solo Performance Mach-X cat-back. Car sounded even better. You're right a tune is the way to go with the headers. I got my tune from Janetty Racing.
I'll be going with this setup also, I have solo mach xc and waiting for a deal on the kooks headers.

Do you have a sound clip?
KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
KickerZ71, sadly not anymore.. That was many cars ago....The Mach-X doesn't have the J-pipes that your Mach-XC has, not sure how much difference in sound there is between the two different cat-backs, but I always had a crowd around at car shows whenever I fired it up.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There are literally thousands of posts on this topic (if you look in the right section....hint hint).
That being said. Be smart and do it right the first time. Headers require a tune....no getting around it.
My opinion....headers, hi-flo cats on stock ls3 exhaust sounds awesone. It's the l99's funky resonator that mucks up the sound.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The stock "trashcans" is the correct slang for the stock mufflers, suitcase refers to the large resonator the l99 is stuck with wrapped around its cross over which is fugly inside to deaden some AFM rattle... and the pipe not connecting here you can see in the first couple correct pics the resonator...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...+pic&FORM=IGRE

The mufflers where named trash cans for their appearance like two smashed metal trash cans on their side...LOL And you should better appreciate the sound of your engine after headers. But the stock exhaust..well you can do better eventually for the mufflers, and hopefully you have a CAI system in place for tuning. As others said several vendors can sell you a tune on a handheld like RDP or Jannetty...or dyno for $500 some places with the initial tune ..and if doing the tune you will want to select things like removing most Torque management, adjust fan on temp, and install of the 160 degree thermostat is what a lot do along with upgrade of spark plugs often also...and of course the AFR modified and Cel kept form occurring form delayed response in the fronts and disabling the back O2s....1-4 shift , hill start etc can be changed also.... Good Luck many choose dofferent brands of mufflers to change the sound with flow masters or corsa you should check out sound clips on the net.....
Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Headers are always a great idea IMO. You can go as cheaply as something like Speed Engineering which are around $350 with all of the add ons or go with something higher priced like Kooks, ARH, or Stainless Works or something in-between. All are great options and with the factory catback will sound good. Yes you should get a tune with the headers so that your engine runs properly.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Headers/highflow cats/x-pipe sounds great on the stock exhaust. It's fairly mellow, but really bellows when you put your foot in it. I'd start with that - if you decide you need more then you can consider your cat-back options.

I agree with your approach, you'll want a tune.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote