Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
arfrc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Tuning

I'm kind of a newb, but whats involved with "tuning" a car after installing a CAI and possibly a cat back exhaust?
arfrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
MikeW
Bowtie Brotherhood

Drives: 04 Blazer ZR2, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfrc5 View Post
I'm kind of a newb, but whats involved with "tuning" a car after installing a CAI and possibly a cat back exhaust?
Some mods require a tune. Others do not.
A catback doesn't require a tune. Most CAI don't either.
However, you will benefit from a tune with increased hp/tq as well as overall performance/acceleration.
In general the tune will improve the Air/fuel ratios to gain more power, reduce/eliminate torque management and improve throttle response.

Look at the sections where people are posting their dyno results before/after tunes and mods. You will get a better idea of what improvements are made and what the resulting gains in hp/tq were.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
You should also know that a tune will likely void your warranty. Nothing wrong with doing it but you need to understand the realities. If I had to guess, I would also say that GM probably knows when one of these have been tuned via OnStar. The 10 Camaro has the latest OnStar advancements, and I would bet that calibration ID's and check sums are broadcast via CAN to OnStar. So my guess is they will know about it. You can definitely make some power gains and customize things to your liking. Just know what you are getting into.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote