Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
fnhowe84

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels M6 & 2010 1LE V6 M6
LLT Engine Rebuild

Well folks, I spun a rod bearing and all options for V6 are null and void for the most part. So Instead of purchasing another used engine for what i could spend rebuilding mine with better parts and not end up with the same problem, thats the option Im choosing. Mace Engineering will be the parts supplier for, from the bottom end up. Rods, bearings, piston heads, valves, valve springs, cams, timing chain kit, and 12mm mani spacer and plenum spacer. I will likely opt for the intake and exhaust bore.

My question to everyone here is, who has done what with Mace (aside from the cams) and what other mods did you have to do (fuel system, clutch etc) to manage the potential from the new build. - Looking for your input here MagnumForce

No I dont have the money to do a ls1 conversion, PLUS I bought a V6 for a reason, to be different. This is a car I want to pass down to my kids and they will likely be involved during the rebuild to make that experience they will talk about when im 70.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Was planning on doing their forged pistons, but will be doing just rings now since I am building another car up.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
fnhowe84

this is my parts list Im ordering this week. I saw your video you posted a couple years ago with rev limiter increase 0-60 on youtube. Did you figure out the dead spot in second gear at 6200?

Im also doing away completely with the PCV system this go round and doing individual vale cover breathers to eliminate any oil cycle in the intake.

When you ported your heads did you grind the valve seats also?
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
fnhowe84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Was planning on doing their forged pistons, but will be doing just rings now since I am building another car up.

Did you have to change out your fuel pump? Im replacing the clutch anyways since there has already been many miles of abuse. Im manual but is there a good clutch company for these transmissions? I havent searched the forum yet (doing that now) just wanted to post the question
Old 10-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I'm running an Ideal Garage master cylinder with a Monster twin disc clutch and it's a nice set up. 40k on it so far
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnhowe84 View Post
this is my parts list Im ordering this week. I saw your video you posted a couple years ago with rev limiter increase 0-60 on youtube. Did you figure out the dead spot in second gear at 6200?

Im also doing away completely with the PCV system this go round and doing individual vale cover breathers to eliminate any oil cycle in the intake.

When you ported your heads did you grind the valve seats also?
There is no deadspot at 6200 RPM, that is the torque converter locking up. When I lock the converter it shaves 0.4 seconds off the 0-60 MPH time.

I didn't mess with the valve seats or intake runners, just the exhaust ports since they are very small.

Quote:
Did you have to change out your fuel pump? Im replacing the clutch anyways since there has already been many miles of abuse. Im manual but is there a good clutch company for these transmissions? I havent searched the forum yet (doing that now) just wanted to post the question
I changed the fuel pump, but it was for an aux fuel system.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
fnhowe84

Thanks for the feed back. Just ordered parts yesterday. Thanks for the tip on the clutch DSX, i'll look into that.

On a side note, I decided to not do away with the PCV system all together. I think I figured out that the 1LE separator on the clean side was the culprit allowing oil to still pass into the intake mani since there is a air line connected to the intake horn. I'll install another catch can on the clean side and see if that does the trick.

Just received my GM clutch fluid reservoir to separate the fluid from the brake system.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Do you have a normal catch can and the 1LE clean side?

Edit: Figured I'd add it here before I forgot, if you haven't bought all parts yet, I'd say run an LFX manifold instead of the LLT manifold since it's composite and flows better. The part you need to run the LFX manifold is in this thread. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=303283&page=5
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #9
fnhowe84

I do currently, Elite on the dirty side and the 1le on the clean side which is still allowing oil to blow by. Switching to catch can on clean side now.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #10
fnhowe84

Yes already bought all the parts, including the mani and plenum spacer from mace. I thought about the LFX mani but between the porting and all other upgrades (possible TB from overkill) I dont think I'll see a dramatic difference
Old 11-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Yeah, I don't know honestly. I know the stock LFX manifold flows better than a ported LLT manifold and doesn't allow heat soaking. It might be worth it if you're looking for max gains possible.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
I do currently, Elite on the dirty side and the 1le on the clean side which is still allowing oil to blow by. Switching to catch can on clean side now.
I run catch cans on both sides because anything caught by the clean side separator that sits on top of the oil cap will just allow that crap to get back into the oil pan.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
fnhowe84

Parts from Mace came, incomplete order tho. Missing the piston rods, piston rings cyl gaskets and plenum spacer. Got 88lb valve springs instead of 90lb. apparently they will never be in stock again that they are aware of. Looking at long tube headers to ensure positive flow vs my gutted cats and catback setup currently. pickup some extra horsies too.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #14
fnhowe84

Pistons from mace. Hypatec pistons by precision
Attached Images