Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #141
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Diff fluid has been changed 3 times in 7000 miles.
I would be pursuing the lemon law or asking for a new unit then.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #142
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I would be pursuing the lemon law or asking for a new unit then.
The problem is that it seems to affect most ZL1s. I swear the 2 other 2018s I drove (an A10 and an M6) before I ordered mine did it. Mine did it on day one — or as soon as I started making pulls from freeway speeds. Definitely not a problem with the clutches in the diff or anything. Mine has no problem roasting a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials at the strip.

I’m not 100% sure yet, but I think mine’s been cured. I aligned my car early on (~1500 miles) and it didn’t go away. So I figured it must be some weird software thing with the diff. It would really only do it nailing it from a roll at certain speeds. No problems at the drag strip on my 10.79 pass.

Fast forward 3000 miles, and I decided to align my car again. This time on our brand new Hunter machine we use for Porsche’s. Shit was toe’d out in the rear, and had massive front toe in. We were having calibration problems with our old Hunter machine for several years, so I don’t really know what the deal is. I’m guessing the alignment I did on the old machine was always off. That or it somehow moved on it’s own. But rear toe out can definitely cause stability problems under WOT. I’ve seen that on M3s back in the day.

Don’t want to knock on wood, but I haven’t been able to reproduce it since. My car loses traction really easily, so it’s sometimes a little hard to tell.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #143
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
The problem is that it seems to affect most ZL1s. I swear the 2 other 2018s I drove (an A10 and an M6) before I ordered mine did it. Mine did it on day one — or as soon as I started making pulls from freeway speeds. Definitely not a problem with the clutches in the diff or anything. Mine has no problem roasting a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials at the strip.

I’m not 100% sure yet, but I think mine’s been cured. I aligned my car early on (~1500 miles) and it didn’t go away. So I figured it must be some weird software thing with the diff. It would really only do it nailing it from a roll at certain speeds. No problems at the drag strip on my 10.79 pass.

Fast forward 3000 miles, and I decided to align my car again. This time on our brand new Hunter machine we use for Porsche’s. Shit was toe’d out in the rear, and had massive front toe in. We were having calibration problems with our old Hunter machine for several years, so I don’t really know what the deal is. I’m guessing the alignment I did on the old machine was always off. That or it somehow moved on it’s own. But rear toe out can definitely cause stability problems under WOT. I’ve seen that on M3s back in the day.

Don’t want to knock on wood, but I haven’t been able to reproduce it since. My car loses traction really easily, so it’s sometimes a little hard to tell.
Keep hammering on it to see if the new alignment cured the wiggle and report back to us man!

That wiggle in the rear at highway pulls is a buzz kill for me since it’s really one of the few times I beat on the car. I don’t do road course so it’s twisty back roads and highway pulls for me.

I don’t see myself keeping this car forever like I want to if I can’t figure this wiggle out.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #144
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
Yes..cool...followed all of your advice last year at the track. was able to get a rythym going for the factory line lock as well. I like it...much better than using the brakes.

Anyone know if the 18s came with this updated eLSD? My dealer doesn't know anything.
Well now I’m pissed and frustrated. This calibration is only available to American cars...NOT CANADIAN ZL1s. It can be done to the 2019s but the 17s and 18s are SOL...WTF GM.

The USA cars have different programming and this upgrade is VIN applicable. Even if I took my car south, I couldn’t get it done.

Somebody please explain this! What or why are the USA and CAD cars sooo different?!
Attached Images

DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #145
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'm pissed we actually have to pay for this one.

Seems more like a fix than a mod. This was my biggest issues on the 17 I had.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 AM   #146
Krzfst

Drives: 2017zl1
I have been fighting this all year hard acceleration goes to the left then back to the right I have to get out of it feels like rear end is coming around I put all bmr parts in rear suspension helped but didn't cure it worse with my drag radials on need help on this one
Krzfst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #147
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Same here. The 17" drag radials on the rear make it 10 times worse. With the stock rears, it barely moves and I can pretty much just keep the wheel straight, but with the drag setup (rears only) it's all over the place. I have to actually make steering corrections to keep it in my lane. The weird part is that it doesn't always do it and it's really bad sometimes and then barely wiggles others. It seems to be relative to how smooth and even the surface is. Both my local track here in London and Clay City, the rear was all over the place. Both tracks have older surfaces that is likely not nice and flat. Bowling Green completely resurfaced their strip and the car tracked perfectly straight every time during Camarofest.

If it's being caused by uneven surfaces, unhooking the front sway bar might fix it (at least at the strip). These cars are super stiff and it doesn't take much of a dip to unload one of the rear tires. So at full throttle, it makes sense that it would take way less to cause one tire to have less grip than the other. I just might have to give this a try one day and see if it helps.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #148
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Same here. The 17" drag radials on the rear make it 10 times worse. With the stock rears, it barely moves and I can pretty much just keep the wheel straight, but with the drag setup (rears only) it's all over the place. I have to actually make steering corrections to keep it in my lane. The weird part is that it doesn't always do it and it's really bad sometimes and then barely wiggles others. It seems to be relative to how smooth and even the surface is. Both my local track here in London and Clay City, the rear was all over the place. Both tracks have older surfaces that is likely not nice and flat. Bowling Green completely resurfaced their strip and the car tracked perfectly straight every time during Camarofest.

If it's being caused by uneven surfaces, unhooking the front sway bar might fix it (at least at the strip). These cars are super stiff and it doesn't take much of a dip to unload one of the rear tires. So at full throttle, it makes sense that it would take way less to cause one tire to have less grip than the other. I just might have to give this a try one day and see if it helps.
I like your reasoning. The stiffness of the car might be contributing to the wiggle on uneven surfaces.

I/we have to start realizing that there might not be a fix for this wiggle. Since this car is mostly designed for aggressive track driving it is not going to handle like your average car under certain circumstances.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #149
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I like your reasoning. The stiffness of the car might be contributing to the wiggle on uneven surfaces.

I/we have to start realizing that there might not be a fix for this wiggle. Since this car is mostly designed for aggressive track driving it is not going to handle like your average car under certain circumstances.
I would inquire with supercharged SS guys running low 10s/9s and see if they’re experiencing the same thing. I would think it can be narrowed down the the elsd then. (Would be surprised the elsd drag cal wouldn’t mitigate) Are convertible guys feeling the same stuff? The suspension are similar I’d be surprised if the difference would be enough even between ZL1 and SS.

I have a SS with magride trapping mid/low 120 depending on weather. So it might not be fast enough or have enough torque to expose that be behavior on 17” et street ss and haven’t felt that. I do have a set of softer side walled Rs ready to go...so we’ll see
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #150
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I would inquire with supercharged SS guys running low 10s/9s and see if they’re experiencing the same thing. I would think it can be narrowed down the the elsd then. (Would be surprised the elsd drag cal wouldn’t mitigate) Are convertible guys feeling the same stuff? The suspension are similar I’d be surprised if the difference would be enough even between ZL1 and SS.

I have a SS with magride trapping 120.5 in the dead heat of summer. So it might not be fast enough or have enough torque to expose that be behavior on 17” et street ss and haven’t felt that. I do have a set of softer side walled Rs ready to go...so we’ll see
That’s a good idea, checking with SS guys that are running quick times. I think the eLSD definitely has something to do with the wiggle, which I think is magnified by the point made earlier (the stiff chassis) as well as the big 325 tires. I mean, with 325 tires there HAS TO BE some sort of tram lining in the rear. No??

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #151
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
It's annoying they sell this and you have to go in for it to be flashed. More manufacturers need to get on the modern train and start doing OTA updates like Tesla. As they make software improvements, just let our cars download them. its freaking 2019. Imagine if you had to bring your phone, laptop or any device into the dealer each time you had to update it.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #152
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
It's annoying they sell this and you have to go in for it to be flashed. More manufacturers need to get on the modern train and start doing OTA updates like Tesla. As they make software improvements, just let our cars download them. its freaking 2019. Imagine if you had to bring your phone, laptop or any device into the dealer each time you had to update it.
I totally agree. Even if it's something that you had to pay for, it's not that hard to setup a store to make that purchase electronically. I would bet they would sell more of these updates/enhancements that way.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #153
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
A little update. I had the car aligned, and the side to side wag is gone. Hadn't been aligned in 2400 miles. Thay said it was way out of whack. Going to align it more frequently .
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #154
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
So im having the eLSD calibration installed at the moment and Chevy is quoting me $415.00...$280 for the technology and an hours worth of labor. Anyone else have this same experience? Slightly different than the $350 i read about..
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote