Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
RobG
RobG

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE, NPP, LT, CD
Just got off the phone with the dealership again. They will not warrant any performance upgrades even those they have done. I won't mention the dealership that I spoke with as they are all going to be different. Was told that with my Long tube headers and cat delete NPP exhaust that they would not do warranty work on my car or any car with "Performance" enhancements. Many of us on this forum know about the laws pertaining to warranty and "Performance" enhancements so I am not going to beat that dead horse for the millionth time on this forum or waste energy telling a parts counter guy he is wrong. However I was told that Performance Group at this dealership did not think it was a worthy upgrade that there were better options at better prices that raised the performance of cars much higher. I am paraphrasing to an extent but this is what was shared. Safe to say I wont be taking my car to them for any warranty work!
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Ive heard the tune is just an adjustment to the rev limiter and doesn't dive into optimizing other perameters. The LS7 cam is an inprovement but if your looking to stick with GM they also have the hot cam and ASA cam that are bigger.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
The LS7 cam is an inprovement but if your looking to stick with GM they also have the hot cam and ASA cam that are bigger.
I am too very interested in the ASA cam.
Before everyone beats me down, I realize there are numerous aftermarket cams out there and I get that they are better at squeezing out more HP. I really like the idea of gaining some power without the added wear and tear on the valve train. Yes I know we can upgrade springs and everything else as well to handle the higher lifts.

I don't track my car, have never drag raced it, its basically a fun driver to enjoy crusing around on the streets. Realistically the stock power is more than enough for what I use it for.
Boys being boys, we must inprove everything though. I'm installing new 1 7/8 headers (cat delete) in the spring and I'm thinking of adding the ASA cam. The exhaust and cam combo would certainly offer an increase in power not to mention the sound
Cam Lift: .525” Intake / .525” exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050”: 226 deg. Intake / 236 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 110 Degree
Howards cams used to make the exact grind cam. Yes I know its older technology but the GM crate 525HP LS3 is just our stock LS3 with this cam.
I'm sure none of us would have objected if Chevrolet had installed that motor by accident !
Anyways, I'm taking a close look at this because it would serve me well so feel free to bash away. (or a little praise would be nice )
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #18
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Good points, guys. I am actually shocked that GM trusted this combo for up to 7100 RPMs. If this is the case (that the tune only changes RPM redline), then I could as well stick with my current tune, install the kit, and just increase the RPM to 6950 RPM.

I have a mail-order tune from FSP. Matt @FSP did the tune, but he just did not want to bother with me (at least that's how I felt). I'm sure it is far from optimal. Tune is one thing I'd love to be conservative at, and I honestly don't know who to trust - except GM.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #19
red_riot

Drives: Track Camaro
Mr. Wyndham has installed this kit:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429296
red_riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #20
Woodsman44

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
I would not stick with your current tune if you install this kit. A conservative custom tune would go a long way (every motor is unique). Your tuner should know what to do but you should expect a WOT AFR that's more rich than optimal (I think I'm at about 12.35%) and timing that's a few degrees short of peak power. I'd rather lose that last 5-10 HP and have my engine stand up to track abuse.
Woodsman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman44 View Post
I would not stick with your current tune if you install this kit. A conservative custom tune would go a long way (every motor is unique). Your tuner should know what to do but you should expect a WOT AFR that's more rich than optimal (I think I'm at about 12.35%) and timing that's a few degrees short of peak power. I'd rather lose that last 5-10 HP and have my engine stand up to track abuse.
Except, I just could not find a tuner I can trust, yet. Looks like I might be doing my own tune after all. I am currently investigating..
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #22
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
7100 seems like a lot of RPM for any cam under 240 duration but for road course it would help you run it out longer since grabbing 5th amounts to almost nothing except keeping it off the rev limiter. A conservative tune would be wise in almost any case perticularly road course.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
Woodsman44

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
X25 - If you don't find one and want to take the plunge then I can certainly help. I've been down that road and can cut your learning curve in half. PM me if you want to talk.
Woodsman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #24
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Guess im brain dead tonight, i dont see a price.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #25
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
Ok here the best test I seen done on OEM GM cams http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...st-comparison/ Now I have had a LS9 cam in my car for 45k miles now no trouble at all . The cam change is only worth 15 HP over a LS3 cam so your NOT doing this for the HP but what it dose do is more the peak power up in the RPM rang higher to about 6200 vs 5800 . Now with me hitting the 60k mark at some pont this year I am going to take the car in for a tune and going to bump the RPM range 6800 RPM . I really
would not want to push the stock motor any higher that with out doing a motor from scratch so would know just what in the thing how was put together and there no power at 7000 PRM with a LS7 or LS9 cam.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #26
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Grassroots motorsports installed it and did an article on it. Kit was pretty good. FYI, GM reports numbers to oem industry standards that are lower unlike many tuners that report numbers corrected to sea levels. Sells more parts the higher you report. Dont sweat the 50hp, I am sure its more but most of us have intakes and headers so custom tunes will get that number up. The 7100 rpm should be fine since it doesnt increase lift, only duration I think so springs dont see higher fatigue.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #27
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Could the 7100 RPM limit they chose, be a reflection of what their ported heads bring to the table based on their "tests"?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #28
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Is this the same as the "dynamic duo" that Chevy had or their performance site?

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote