Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
FriedCherry

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IO Camaro
Paint defect or SOL?

I noticed this today right after a wax. I have no idea what could have cause a near perfect circle of bubbly then down to bare metal.

Any suggestions on what I can do or can be done? If there are any talented people that could fix this up near Brevard County FL, please let me know. The size is about 3/4 the size of a dime.

Thanks!
FriedCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Whoooaaa. Not cool. How long have you had your car? That looks bad and if it's as big as you say, could be pretty tough to touch up. I'd contact your dealer and see what they say.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
FriedCherry

I have had it just a year. Since it is a circle, then I don't see how I would get it by driving. There would be scratches or bug guts around it.

I am thinking of bring it to my local body shop to get an opinion if it is a defect. To me it looks like a bubble that popped.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedCherry View Post
I have had it just a year. Since it is a circle, then I don't see how I would get it by driving. There would be scratches or bug guts around it.

I am thinking of bring it to my local body shop to get an opinion if it is a defect. To me it looks like a bubble that popped.
That is possible based on the photos. Since you do not remember seeing a defect in that spot before, it is hard to say. Only other possibility is something ate into the paint like a drop of something. I think you had a blister/ defect that you did not notice and it "popped" so to speak. A good body shop may provide an answer but make sure the PAINTER looks at it not some office flunky.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

To me it looks like youre on the right track. Either something that popped, or something that ate all the way through the paint. Either way, I doubt the dealer's gonna cover this a year later. They will find a way to make it your fault- seems like they always do.

Where is this? Hood, bumper?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
FriedCherry

Yeah, I have a good relationship with the owner/painter of a local shop. He repainted my 2002 Trans Am. I will talk to him when I bring it in.

Its on the left side of the hood about 2 feet from the windshield.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

That's good to hear. I really hope they take care of it for you, most of all I'm curious what the heck it is so let us know what he says.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
It looks like a drop of brake fluid......If a truck car hauler is leaking or any of the cars are leaking that are on it that could do it.

1st guess Brake fluid
2nd guess hydraulic fluid from a leaking truck ...

just my .02
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
FriedCherry

I will keep everyone up to date. I work about 70-80 hours a week, so I have to have my wife take it there Monday.

I would think that if something dropped on the car while I was moving it wouldn't be a near perfect circle. When I park there is no way I can see that happening. I go out of my way to park away from everything I can. But anything could happen I guess.

Thanks for the support.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Waco
Layla

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, LS3, CGM/IO
Try the dealer first, but even if you have to pay, try a spot repair vs the whole panel at 1/3 the cost. They can blend the clear now with new techniques eliminating the need for a whole repaint of the panel and it looks perfect...had a chip on my rear quarter panel repaired that way at my dealer's body shop.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
FriedCherry

Here is the update:
My normal body guy said without a doubt it was a defect.
Took it to my dealer. He said it was a bug that sat on the car and died and released acid in the paint and that caused this. Then ask my mileage. Told him 10,500 and he said let me go check something.
Came out a few minutes later and said it was covered by the fallout warranty that was a 12/12 warranty. Took my keys and said they will repaint the hood. I told him that I really expect it right. Remove the strips and reseal the whole thing and not just spot touch. He said they will do it right and replace the stripes. Actually asked me if i wanted different color since i am getting a new set.

So all and all looks good so far. i will post back when i get the car back. How long should i wait to drive it once i get it back? i am worried that it will not be completely dry.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange5thGen View Post
It looks like a drop of brake fluid......If a truck car hauler is leaking or any of the cars are leaking that are on it that could do it.

1st guess Brake fluid
2nd guess hydraulic fluid from a leaking truck ...

just my .02

Yup, looks like a drop of corrosive fluid to me.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedCherry View Post
How long should i wait to drive it once i get it back? i am worried that it will not be completely dry.
Driving I wouldn't worry about, but avoid waxing or sealing for the first 90 days unless otherwise instructed by the bodyshop... and I don't mean the dealerships paperwork guy in the service department, but the actual painter.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #14
DetailAddict

Drives: .
good to hear that the dealership is taking care of you! show some after pics when done!

Leo
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote