Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
LMC2013

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
A SS Camaro is about the worst car to learn in, too much power & heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravenfan View Post
I wouldn't want someone learning on my brand new car so I'm not so sure buying something you don't know how to drive is a great choice. Manuals can be more fun but learn to drive one before you buy.

....I would want to learn on a new car...even better to learn on a car that has a clutch under warranty....even if it's not...big deal, youll be buying clutches either way, that car will survive

I learned stick on my first car at 15, it's not hard and I would want more power when learning stick..I would imagine it's harder to stall with more power.
LMC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Mari'

Drives: 2012 2SS
Is it true that the manual SS has 26 more HP than the automatic SS?? I'm having trouble deciding as well which one to go with.
Mari' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
Been in the position as you before. I have nothing against an automatic but a manual is always the way to go. The transmission last longer as well as brakes. You also have more control over the vehicle. I live in Metro DC area and the traffic is only second to LA and um a big Son of a gun and I drive my 6 speed all over the city with no issues. Go with the manual 6 you won't be sorry!
BigPopa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
May have a few extra HP on paper but in truth the L99/A6 & LS3/M6's are very close to each other in performance. If you buy a manual, buy because you want a manual, and not because of the HP rating.

I'm probably looking at getting another IBM Camaro SS next year & letting my wife have our RJT Camaro A6 SS that we have now. I know I will be debating between going for my first ever M6 or sticking with an Auto the whole time especially if all I find are M6's at that time. I've always wanted to try a manual performance car, but fear that I couldn't handle the aspects of getting going on hills from a stop, and things like that since I've never driven a manual before in my life. I only guess it gets easier with experience though, I personally love to hear thoughts from others who have went from years upon years of only auto's to driving a manual and how that switch to driving a manual had went.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
I'm really old, and i got the manual..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Get the manual.
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
VcrusaderV

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I've owned both, manual for sure. You'll wish you had a manual if you go auto.

2010 2SS Camaro (sold)
2010 ZL 427 Camaro (sold)
2012 ZL-1 Camaro (sold)
2018 ZL-1 Camaro
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS View Post
May have a few extra HP on paper but in truth the L99/A6 & LS3/M6's are very close to each other in performance. If you buy a manual, buy because you want a manual, and not because of the HP rating.

I'm probably looking at getting another IBM Camaro SS next year & letting my wife have our RJT Camaro A6 SS that we have now. I know I will be debating between going for my first ever M6 or sticking with an Auto the whole time especially if all I find are M6's at that time. I've always wanted to try a manual performance car, but fear that I couldn't handle the aspects of getting going on hills from a stop, and things like that since I've never driven a manual before in my life. I only guess it gets easier with experience though, I personally love to hear thoughts from others who have went from years upon years of only auto's to driving a manual and how that switch to driving a manual had went.
You won't have to worry about hills! Chevy took care of that on 13 and newer manuals by leaving your breaks applied until your clutch is nice and roasted and then it releases you from your brakes tight embrace. This magic is called Hill Start Assist or HSA.

@OP: Go for the manual. I commute in dense traffic every morning and don't regret the 6 speed one bit.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller-SS View Post
Only if you are talking 1/4 mile, road racin and autoX are a different story.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #24
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
We just had a thread like this last week!
Make a long story short Automatics are for women.
Men drive stick shift
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
manual
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
With all the problems that come with owning a manual, when I sold my SS and bought my ZL1 I went with the auto... I was tired of all the problem... Clutch sticking to the floor, changing the fluid frequently, inconsistent times at the track... Clutch replacement... The 4 hour traffic jam coming home from Camaro fest.... Agh.. Hell with a stick. Plus a manual transmission is a lot harder on the drivetrain.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #27
martyhalmi
NJ Camaro 22

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
definitely get the manual you'll learn very quickly and love it
martyhalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
With all the problems that come with owning a manual, when I sold my SS and bought my ZL1 I went with the auto... I was tired of all the problem... Clutch sticking to the floor, changing the fluid frequently, inconsistent times at the track... Clutch replacement... The 4 hour traffic jam coming home from Camaro fest.... Agh.. Hell with a stick. Plus a manual transmission is a lot harder on the drivetrain.
+second gear grind, skip shift and hill assist...no thanks, didn't mind paying a bit more for the auto. Getting the range for the afm and i'll be good. Down the line
I'll do a ls3 conversion to and I'll be set. Plus you can't go wrong having the auto and the paddle shifters for manual control when I wanna have fun.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote