Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Stock plugs worn at 56.8k miles?

I have 56800 miles, on my Camaro, I noticed it wasn't idling the same, pulled a plug and found this, looks like the left bank is running lean.
These are 1000,000 miles plugs too? I was going to go with NGK, but put new stock plugs in it now.
Cylinder 1 looks the worse, it burnt the whole Iridium off the electrode.
Anyone else find any issues with there plugs? No cam just CAI, L.t. headers 3" exhaust, and tuned.
Attached Images

SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I just had mine out with 30-35 thousand on them. I have the same mods and mine look fine.

You are just over half their lifespan. I would wager your tune is off...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I just had mine out with 30-35 thousand on them. I have the same mods and mine look fine.

Agreed...get with your tuner ASAP and if you have the ability to create data logs find out what they need....
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post

Agreed...get with your tuner ASAP and if you have the ability to create data logs find out what they need....
I haven't took a log on it for a while, I'm going to take a few logs to see how everything looks.
I'll have to contact Doug at ECS, see what he thinks, since he tuned it.

No way they should be that bad at 56K miles when there life span is 100,000 miles?
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
I haven't took a log on it for a while, I'm going to take a few logs to see how everything looks.
I'll have to contact Doug at ECS, see what he thinks, since he tuned it.

No way they should be that bad at 56K miles when there life span is 100,000 miles?
I'm no expert but I would think that they shouldn't show that kind of wear/damage.

I recall doing a tune up at well over 100K on a buddies bone stock Avalanche with a 5.3L and they looked way better than those.

Also at just under 100K but over 12 years on my father's Silverado with a 5.3L and a K&N cold air intake no tune and they looked much better also.

I'm suspect of your tune being too lean. Maybe bad gas.

IDK but I would look to the tune first.

I suppose there's an off chance of some bad plugs but I doubt it.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I'm no expert but I would think that they shouldn't show that kind of wear/damage.

I recall doing a tune up at well over 100K on a buddies bone stock Avalanche with a 5.3L and they looked way better than those.

Also at just under 100K but over 12 years on my father's Silverado with a 5.3L and a K&N cold air intake no tune and they looked much better also.

I'm suspect of your tune being too lean. Maybe bad gas.

IDK but I would look to the tune first.

I suppose there's an off chance of some bad plugs but I doubt it.
Thanks, yea it looks like it's running leaner on bank 1, he did say it was rich when he first tuned in August of 2010, either way I'll see if I can send him some logs, or get it retuned, I removed the resonators on my 3" exhaust, that increased exhaust flow and may be leaning it out?
I'm going to do it when it get's cooler out, it was really hot the last time I got it dyno tuned, I may change the CAI also.
It's not the gas, I only use Shell, (Sunoco when racing). it's a GM top tear gas (not Sunoco), I always use 93 octane, no additives.
It may be a faulty air/fuel O2 sensor too.
SOLD.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Firefighter

Quote:
Thanks, yea it looks like it's running leaner on bank 1, he did say it was rich when he first tuned in August of 2010, either way I'll see if I can send him some logs, or get it retuned, I removed the resonators on my 3" exhaust, that increased exhaust flow and may be leaning it out?
I'm going to do it when it get's cooler out, it was really hot the last time I got it dyno tuned, I may change the CAI also.
It's not the gas, I only use Shell, (Sunoco when racing). it's a GM top tear gas (not Sunoco), I always use 93 octane, no additives.
It may be a faulty air/fuel O2 sensor too.
Pulling the resonators may be the culprit. Good luck, keep us posted for learning and stuff... lol
Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:
Pulling the resonators may be the culprit. Good luck, keep us posted for learning and stuff... lol

It may be the problem, but when I did it, the logs afterward were the same as with the resonators on?
I don't know, I'll keep you posted!
SOLD.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I have 56800 miles, on my Camaro, I noticed it wasn't idling the same, pulled a plug and found this, looks like the left bank is running lean.
These are 1000,000 miles plugs too? I was going to go with NGK, but put new stock plugs in it now.
Cylinder 1 looks the worse, it burnt the whole Iridium off the electrode.
Anyone else find any issues with there plugs? No cam just CAI, L.t. headers 3" exhaust, and tuned.
Perfectly normal given the Mileage and large gap.

The larger the gap the hotter the spark.

Don't read so much in to the 100,000 mile thing that is a sales pitch and set under totally Ideal condition, the disclaimer says your mileage may vary.

Put new plugs in gap them at 0.042 and your back in business.

Plugs are still a wear item no matter what the advertisements say.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Don't read so much in to the 100,000 mile thing that is a sales pitch and set under totally Ideal condition, the disclaimer says your mileage may vary.

Ted.
Ted that bad, that fast? What do you recommend for a change interval?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Ted that bad, that fast? What do you recommend for a change interval?
Like everything else it depends on how you use it.

If you race your car every weekend replace the plugs every season.

If you go rounds every week and win every week you put more passes on so change them twice a season.

See where I am going here?

Since when is 58,000 miles fast for spark plugs this is no Prius, LOL.

Ted.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
Firefighter

Quote:
Like everything else it depends on how you use it.

If you race your car every weekend replace the plugs every season.

If you go rounds every week and win every week you put more passes on so change them twice a season.

See where I am going here?

Since when is 58,000 miles fast for spark plugs this is no Prius, LOL.

Ted.
Well honestly I thought we (car technology) were beyond the annual plug, wire and points change... lol Hell I remember back in HS every year I had to do brakes/rotors plugs and wires on my SBC 350 in a 79 Monte with an HEI ignition.

I had my plugs out the other day when I did pushrods and a trunion upgrade and while they didn't look new they looked pretty damned good.

Prior to the job I was torn between running the stock 110's or 104's on my bolt on LS3 car. When they looked good I just put them back in.

Any recommendations? LS3 Pfadt LT headers, Vmax ported TB, and an ADM race intake tuned by Formato DD with the far too infrequent AutoX day...
Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Well honestly I thought we (car technology) were beyond the annual plug, wire and points change... lol Hell I remember back in HS every year I had to do brakes/rotors plugs and wires on my SBC 350 in a 79 Monte with an HEI ignition.

I had my plugs out the other day when I did pushrods and a trunion upgrade and while they didn't look new they looked pretty damned good.

Prior to the job I was torn between running the stock 110's or 104's on my bolt on LS3 car. When they looked good I just put them back in.

Any recommendations? LS3 Pfadt LT headers, Vmax ported TB, and an ADM race intake tuned by Formato DD with the far too infrequent AutoX day...
Stock or equivalent NGK TR6IX
Old 09-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
10 2SS/RS 6M

Quote:

Ted.
Ted did you notice how the left bank wore faster then the right bank, any idea's why that happened?
I feel they should of worn more even, like the left bank may be running leaner, maybe a miscalculating air/fuel O2 sensor on that bank?
I did put new plugs in it, gapped at 0.040'' and cleaned my air filter, and mass airflow sensor, and checked everything on my scanner, did a idle relearn, etc.. Runs like new now.
Thanks Ted, and everyone's else's help.
George
SOLD.

Last edited by 10 2SS/RS 6M; 09-09-2016 at 09:05 PM.