Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
CA does NOT make this easy... a rant.

My daughter is going to college, and she needs a car. We're not wealthy, so I had to find a deal on a used car. Got a great deal on 2002 Corolla S, which I got from a friend. He'd had it parked for a while, and his registration had expired long ago.

In CA, when a car title is transferred, the car must pass a smog test. The way the process works (with already- expired registration) is that you go to the DMV, start the paperwork, pay your fees, and then you go get the smog test done, before the transfer/ registration can be completed.

I did the DMV stuff, then went to smog the car. Now, a few days before, I had installed a new battery. The smog test mechanic (another friend of mine) plugged his reader into my OBD port, and asked, "Did you just change the battery?" Yes, I replied. He then told me that the car was going to need to be driven for 200 miles, in order for the codes to reset. Until the codes reset, the smog test cannot even be performed.

So, I hit the road... that evening, I drove 200 miles. Only, just before I got home, late that night, a "Check Engine Light" appeared. Crap. I plugged in my OBD reader, and saw a "0420" code. That meant that either the car was smoking pot, or it needed a catalytic converter. Damn.

So, I went and got a new cat. Cost me $340, but, now, I needed to drive it ANOTHER 200 miles.... because, once a code gets thrown, the test cannot be performed until a few miles have been driven to clear the code. So, off I went again, another random, pointless, 200 mile road trip, late at night, when I was tired and pissed off.

Went back to Nate... he plugged in his reader, and, damnit, again: "Sorry, man... sometimes 200 miles doesn't do it. Try another 200 miles."

Let me tell you... I was not a happy guy. So, I spent another night, driving around.... another 200 miles on the clock, just so that CA's smog test can be performed.

Finally... the next day... it passed. But, I ended up driving around for a total of 600 pointless miles, emitting 600 miles worth of burned- up gasoline, pumping smog and toxins into the air... all in order to overcome the technology and requirements set forth by my state politicians. I have a hard time believing that those 600 miles of pointless f'n driving are gong to result in a net reduction in smog for this vehicle.

Oh, and on top of all that, CA has a new "thing:" They no longer issue you a 60- day, or even a 30- day temporary permit while you go get your car registered. The NEW thing is a ONE DAY PERMIT. That's all. ONE day. Now, sure, if your car passes smog first time around, everything is all butterflies and rainbows. But, if it does NOT pass, well, you are simply screwed. You COULD make an appointment (usually two- to three weeks out), and go get ANOTHER one- day permit, and try to getyuorsmogcheckdoneandmaybehavetodrive200milesand getanothersmogcheckdone, all in one day, and hope for the best... or, you can get a certificate from the smog check place that confirms that your car has failed, then (make another appointment and) return to the DMV, where, for $50, they MAY issue a 30- day permit. Or, do like me, and just drive around with no permit whatsoever, beyond the one- day permit I was first issued. The risk vs. guaranteed hassle is weighed pretty heavily towards just taking the risk. The car was insured, but there's no way in hell I could have accomplished the correct registration procedure with all of the roadblocks that CA puts in the way.

I spent 600 miles driving around, pissed that the people elected to make the rules are people who (1) Don't ever have to buy used cars, or deal with the associated hassles, (2) surely don't know a damn thing about car technology, (3) aren't doing it for environmental reasons, but only to LOOK like they are "environmentally concerned" to OTHER clueless morons, and (D) are the same uninformed and clueless overlords who make the rules about guns and property rights and immigration and constitutional amendments and so on and so forth. Yeah... politicians. Not my favorite people, especially in CA.

Rant over.

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 12-17-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Why anyone lives in that god forsaken state is beyond me.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I move away from CA thirty years ago... never looked back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think you're a little off on a couple of things...I just sold an old car recently...

It is the seller's responsibility to get a smog certificate that is good for 90 days I believe...The buyer then already has the smog cert in Sacramento's computer, so the buyer doesn't have to hassle a smog check. Take a look at the DMV website on what a buyer and seller are required to do. The seller should have supplied the smog cert. You can buy it the way you did, but then you take the risk of it not passing smog.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think you're a little off on a couple of things...I just sold an old car recently...

It is the seller's responsibility to get a smog certificate that is good for 90 days I believe...The buyer then already has the smog cert in Sacramento's computer, so the buyer doesn't have to hassle a smog check. Take a look at the DMV website on what a buyer and seller are required to do. The seller should have supplied the smog cert.
You are correct... unless the buyer and seller make a different agreement. Since I got this from a friend, we agreed that I would take care of the smog. It would either be my headache or his, and since he gave me a great price on the car, I got the headache. I just hadn't anticipated that it would be a gran mal, skull- splitting migraine of epic magnitude.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
You are correct... unless the buyer and seller make a different agreement. Since I got this from a friend, we agreed that I would take care of the smog. It would either be my headache or his, and since he gave me a great price on the car, I got the headache. I just hadn't anticipated that it would be a gran mal, skull- splitting migraine of epic magnitude.
Same thing happened with my boy's truck. We just put a new battery in it and the smog was due. It wouldn't pass. Not enough "history" to read for the smog check. Smog check came back as "incomplete"... He had to drive it about 600 miles as well before it would pass.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Bansheemike

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6speed manual
The biggest mistake you made was buying a Toyota...
Bansheemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
My mom suggested I look for jobs in California. Stupidity like this is exactly why I said hell no to that idea.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #9
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Why would anyone live in CA, oh that's right they have sanctuary cities and give all kinds of stuff away at tax payer expense, and if you kill someone you sit on death row until you die of natural causes. Wasn't CA supposed to fall into the ocean at one time?
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
Why would anyone live in CA, oh that's right they have sanctuary cities and give all kinds of stuff away at tax payer expense, and if you kill someone you sit on death row until you die of natural causes. Wasn't CA supposed to fall into the ocean at one time?
C'mon... we have been "awarded" title of having the strictest gun laws out of the 50 states... that's why we don't have crime... or mass shootings.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
I agree bruh - had the same issue with my Avalanche when I changed the battery. Finally passed after a few hundred miles.

....And for all the Cali-haters out there: I moved here from Iowa 9 years ago, wouldn't even consider moving back. Love the weather here, the scenery and the people. oh, and the pay aint so bad either.... Know your facts before bashing what you don't (or cant) have...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Yeah, the pay is great...but how expensive is it to live there? So, the pay "raise" is a wash when you take into account the cost of living...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
You get what you pay for to live in Cali. Where else in the states can you go to the beach, desert and mountains? Stop the hate ✌
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Yeah, the pay is great...but how expensive is it to live there? So, the pay "raise" is a wash when you take into account the cost of living...
cost of living ratio is actually better than most states. Everyone is so hell-bent on everything costing more out here. insurance? no. housing? maybe a little. gallon of milk - no. beer - not at all, we have the most micro breweries than anyone. um, what else? gas? not alot... help me out, ill confirm.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote