Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Timaaay

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS w/2ss, '85 T/A Modif
Water leaks

Hi all! Great forum here, I've learned much from a lot of people. Anyway, I have a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS that I purchased a year and a half ago. It only had 16,000 miles and not a scratch, dent, or any defect. I was told an older gentleman owned it and it was always garaged. It has a clean CarFax report. The issue I'm having, is that when it rains, water somehow gets in somewhere around the doors. The doors close tightly and contact the weatherstripping, I've even used a piece of paper all along the door and glass. I cant quite figure out where it's getting in from. Forget a car wash or high pressure hose! I have nice SS logos made with stainless and the water marks are very difficult to remove. I now have 29,000 miles on the car. I always garage it when home.
Has anyone else had this issue or can steer me in the right direction to figuring this out? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Timaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Is it a vert?
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have a leak somewhere around my trunk, possibly around the left taillight. Can't find it, but I find water on my rubber mat AND down around the battery!

Last edited by redhotcandy; 08-15-2018 at 09:05 AM.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Yes, important question-----IS IT A CONVERTIBLE?
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
More important question if not a vert...does it have a sunroof? The drain can get clogged causing water to piss onto the floor. Known issue.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
I have a leak somewhere around my trunk, possibly around the left taillight. Can't find it, but I find water on my rubber mat AND downn around the battery!
I'm having this exact issue also. Not a convertible, doesn't have a sunroof, but wet trunk carpet and water in the battery hole.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
A buddy of mine had a brand new silverado 2015 not even week old did same thing it ended up being the seam sealer on the back of cab and he would get water on front pass floor
Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
Caniac27

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado, Red Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaaay View Post
Hi all! Great forum here, I've learned much from a lot of people. Anyway, I have a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS that I purchased a year and a half ago. It only had 16,000 miles and not a scratch, dent, or any defect. I was told an older gentleman owned it and it was always garaged. It has a clean CarFax report. The issue I'm having, is that when it rains, water somehow gets in somewhere around the doors. The doors close tightly and contact the weatherstripping, I've even used a piece of paper all along the door and glass. I cant quite figure out where it's getting in from. Forget a car wash or high pressure hose! I have nice SS logos made with stainless and the water marks are very difficult to remove. I now have 29,000 miles on the car. I always garage it when home.
Has anyone else had this issue or can steer me in the right direction to figuring this out? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
I have had both leaks everyone is referring to. The OP leak is more than likely coming from the inner door seal. My passenger side floor boards were getting wet after a heavy rain storm. I removed the door panel and sure enough the rubber door gasket was pulling away in several spots right where the water was coming in. Bought some sealant and re-attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
I have a leak somewhere around my trunk, possibly around the left taillight. Can't find it, but I find water on my rubber mat AND downn around the battery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I'm having this exact issue also. Not a convertible, doesn't have a sunroof, but wet trunk carpet and water in the battery hole.
The trunk leak is more than likely coming from the roof ditch tubing that enters the trunk space on both sides. Just look under the trunk opening on the left and right sides and you will see a black tube that has come off the drainage nipple that exits out over each tail light. I just used a hose clamp to re-attach. Hope that helps you guys.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
My trunk was getting wet enough to get a couple inches of water down in the battery. Figured out the wire to the right that goes to the trunk lid was to long and as the trunk closed it pinched in the seal, and cause the wires were wrapped in a fabric tape, it wicked the water down. So I just need to make sure that the wire is not in the way as it closes now and no more leak
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Not good to have water in the battery hole! Check seals. Get that water out.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
Timaaay

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS w/2ss, '85 T/A Modif
Sorry, I should have said it NOT a convertible, just a coupe with no sunroof. (I needed the extra headroom) I've checked, double, triple checked the door seals. I'm just baffled as can be. Hell my '69 Vette, '85 and 87 Trans Am's don't leak a single drop.
I appreciate the help. And thanks to Caniac27 " The OP leak is more than likely coming from the inner door seal. My passenger side floor boards were getting wet after a heavy rain storm. I removed the door panel and sure enough the rubber door gasket was pulling away in several spots right where the water was coming in. Bought some sealant and re-attached."
I'll try this when I get a chance. You removed the door panels, or the door rubber molding inside the door frame?
Timaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #12
Caniac27

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado, Red Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaaay View Post
Sorry, I should have said it NOT a convertible, just a coupe with no sunroof. (I needed the extra headroom) I've checked, double, triple checked the door seals. I'm just baffled as can be. Hell my '69 Vette, '85 and 87 Trans Am's don't leak a single drop.
I appreciate the help. And thanks to Caniac27 " The OP leak is more than likely coming from the inner door seal. My passenger side floor boards were getting wet after a heavy rain storm. I removed the door panel and sure enough the rubber door gasket was pulling away in several spots right where the water was coming in. Bought some sealant and re-attached."
I'll try this when I get a chance. You removed the door panels, or the door rubber molding inside the door frame?
I had to remove my inside door panel and there is a water dam behind it that I had to reseal as it had started to come away from the the door in three places. Here is a link to a video that shows what i am talking about:
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #13
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac27 View Post
The trunk leak is more than likely coming from the roof ditch tubing that enters the trunk space on both sides. Just look under the trunk opening on the left and right sides and you will see a black tube that has come off the drainage nipple that exits out over each tail light. I just used a hose clamp to re-attach. Hope that helps you guys.
I don't have these tubes because I don't have a sunroof. Thought I was going crazy looking for these things that everyone mentions, but never saw them on my car.

Mine seems like it might be coming from near the passenger tail-light area, but I can't SEE anywhere it might be coming from.

Does anyone have a schematic on all of the drains for these cars?

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
RJT

Drives: LT CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac27 View Post
I had to remove my inside door panel and there is a water dam behind it that I had to reseal as it had started to come away from the the door in three places. Here is a link to a video that shows what i am talking about:
How hard was it to take off the door panel?
RJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20112ss, door leaks, water leak