Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
bronze or needle trunion?

need to know the experience of each. know stock is week. and have heard after a while the upgrade needles score the trunion shaft. will the bronze be better for a high spirited daily driver? will the trunions have oil holes in them (bronze) we ran bronze rockers in our Harleys and they are air cooled as opposed to water cooled LS, and a rode across the U.S. in some heat with no problems . with you guys infinite knowledge , your opinions? thoughts? suggestions? the best to get ? I'm figuring bronze? help me the oldman.... PS winter project , might as well change push rods too which ones? thanks again.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Does the engine have a aftermarket cam?
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
no, stock ls 3 just want insurance cause I bounce it off the rev limiter and it has been raised eith a tune
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Stock rockers with stock cam is fine, no need to change the bearings.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
True, that stock trunions can survive pendinging application for a long time. We have tested most trunion applications both Bronze and Steele bushings/bearings. The most recent Steele applications from Comp Cams have several improvements and we currently have seen no issues, but do check them routinely, since they are relatively new.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Well you should be fine with the stockers for now. I have driven my 2011 SS spiritedly for 7 years with just CAI, LT'S and a ported TB and a custom dyno tune and have bounced the rev limiter almost all the time when I shift manually, it is a L99 car and no issues. When we did the cam swap and build my engine builder went with the bronze trunion upgrade for reliability and longevity. Good luck sir.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Raising the limiter with a stock engine not so great since your way into diminishing returns from the cam and engine...your just begging to break a spring which stock are lil old single beehives and BTW most springs only tested to 7k...…

SO if I am built and make 600 hp and torque why don't I with better needle bearing trunnions and this and that raise my limit...because I want to be in the power band of the engine and the cam I have selected not just winding it up to be slower.... a stupid thing my Tuner does not do randomly for the EGOcentric….. And he is the best around here... Tommy Wong of wongs performance engineering...and the answer ….Bushings, needle bearings even aftermarket comp cam ones have been shown to fail, stock you should not worry so much but you had to just go and raise your limit ……...and of course aftermarket pushrods are thicker in the correct length, but resetting the valve lash/preload is more complicated with the LS engine and not easy like a OLD SBC/BBC.... so ignore that idea...instead ...buy a aftermarket shift light like the Speed HUT obd2 light so you learn to shift in the right way....IMO is advised and if you don't have a catch can from elite engineering..get one.

And the trunnions most known to scatter bearings in the pan....but stock is mostly fine stock and even most built guys, weak point on the engine is the ls3 chain dampener,( replaced by dogbone style), and oil fouling of the intake tract..... And your about 5000 articles shy of knowing what you really want to do...LOL Good luck , lots of old threads on here to learn from. My aftermarket needle bearings were done before places came out showing their new bushing options and vendors on here sell bushed or otherwise.... and even preinstalled bushed etc....

Last edited by christianchevell; 10-22-2018 at 07:31 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote