Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #15
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Certified is just an advertising gimmick that will let the dealer charge more for a car. Mileage and condition is what you want to look out for. A clean Carfax is also very good, but some play games with the Carfax's as well so have caution. Shop around, find a good model with great miles and mint condition, and go with your instincts.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Brilei5

Drives: 2015 SS Commemerative Edition
I actually just bought a 2015 SS Comemerative, I looked at ALOT of cars. My two cents for what it’s worth... clean Carfax is necessary, if you happen to be shopping at a Chevy dealer for your used Camero they have the ability to run the car through service to certify it for a fee. If they refuse or it won’t pass their inspection either way it a bargaining chip, Also a Chevy dealer can run the vin to search all service history that was done by GM, including any recalls and warranty repairs preformed.
On another note, I found when looking at all these cars that low miles didn’t always mean clean car. Some guys buy a car like this just to take it to the track and beat the piss out of it, then put it away until the next beating. 35000 easy highway miles or 4500 track only miles? Look REALLY close at any used performance car, if something looks odd or it doesn’t feel right, I would walk. There are clean cars out there.... best of luck to you.
BTW. I love mine!
Brilei5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:06 AM   #17
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Thanks guys, for all the input. I appreciate hearing from different perspectives on this issue.
I'm going to be focusing on lower-mile (say, 40k as absolute max) and if they're "Certified"-- great.
That said, I've seen a couple of low-mileage cars on sites that have the Carfax links and on the listing and the report mentioned something about a "Service Contract" that had been purchased at some point. Is that like an extended warranty? Any advantage to that?
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:18 AM   #18
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Today, CPO is a $3,000 sales scam that means absolutely nothing.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
dpeterson7

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS - Imperial Blue Met.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Today, CPO is a $3,000 sales scam that means absolutely nothing.
Certification actually costs the dealer $499 on a coupe/sedan (I am a GM employee). It's up to the dealer whether or not they want to fake a price based on that.