Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Lots of good, solid responses and advice. The bottom line, if you want a modded car, or are planning on modding it yourself after you buy it, AND want a bargain, you can save a ton on a previously modded car. I have several times, and have never had an issue. I carefully look over what they have done, only buy when I'm comfortable the mods were done professionally (sometimes owner installed, professionally means "correct" in my book), and I ALWAYS have the car inspected by a competent, independent mechanic who knows the type of car/mods I'm interested in buying.

Don't walk away from a modded car, simply because it was modified.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
TrevinE

Drives: 1967 Camaro RestoMod
Not only do you need to ask who did it, what was done, receipts etc, you need to know what parts were used and where you want to ultimately go. For example, if someone just did the basic supercharger bolt on and a FCPM and you want to go bigger, you need to think about the other stuff you will need to add and can the rest of the components handle it. somewhere around 700ish HP you need to think about more fuel delivery, i..e. double or triple pump set up not just increasing the gain with a FCPM, injectors, 8 or 10 rib system, and so on. you need to worry about trunions, Headbolts, etc. if you will eventually want big HP, buy it done right or do it yourself. you can ink out quite a bit of HP with basic stuff but don't pay for that then have to do it all over again because you want more. I took the later approach and glad i did. I know someone who did the former and they spent more on the car AND now spending even more redoing almost everything i mentioned. Either way you go, make sure it is looked at by someone you trust. Just because its built by a "known" shop, doesn't mean squat. They too can have quality control issues. Seen it way too many times.
1967 Camaro Resto Mod. 468 roller. Tremec TKO600, 2011 Imperial Blue Metallic paint, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood disc brakes, Ron Davis radiator, Comp Cam, Custom aluminum air intake, custom valve covers, Rushforth rims, ET street radial IIs
TrevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for all the good feedback.

Lots of solid opinions.

I'm so excited to get my hands on one of these cars its just driving me crazy.
Glassman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You have to look to the owner and the shop that did the work.... I keep every receipt and use the best tuner even though he is out of state and do not drag race yet...and just daily drive but even just daily driving you can screw the pooch even on a stock car...... For me over the millennia....easier cheaper SBC BBC never had problems modding them myself, now more $ no way except more minor stuff....and the PITA factor in the drive way sucks with age..LOL but new more spendy car ....most with money pay a shop for the mod and that's much friendlier to know its been done right as mods usually never make much on selling....I always counted them as a loss but good for the fun and pride at the time. Good Luck
Old 07-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #19
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I think if the mods were bolt ons and switch and swap you should be fine. Once you get into engine mods I'd have a certified mechanic look at it. Engine mods are the most pricey and can really get you in trouble if done incorrectly or with inferior parts. Also engine mods seem to have the most maintenance costs down the road. I see no reason why you can't assess simple bolt ons and swaps yourself.