Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #1
Arkangel-77

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Front seat lower bottom is coming apart

Front seat lower bottom is coming apart. Its loose or something? I have folded it over and sorta popped it back into place. It stays for a few days and then it popes off the frame again. Has anyone ever seen this or have any Idea how to fix this? I could take a Pic if that would help - But I figured maybe someone may have seen this before?

Thanks, Cory C
Old 08-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangel-77 View Post
Front seat lower bottom is coming apart. Its loose or something? I have folded it over and sorta popped it back into place. It stays for a few days and then it popes off the frame again. Has anyone ever seen this or have any Idea how to fix this? I could take a Pic if that would help - But I figured maybe someone may have seen this before?

Thanks, Cory C
if you mean the plastic cover over controls, it happens. replace it. its 2 bolts and a few clips. dealership should have em.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...e897%7Ciid%3A1
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
if you mean the plastic cover over controls, it happens. replace it. its 2 bolts and a few clips. dealership should have em.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...e897%7Ciid%3A1

Thank you for the response but that's not it. The actual leather seat cover itself. It's under your knees if you will. There is a long plastic piece of like "J" trim sewn to the flap of cloth that rolls under the front of the seat and the J trim clips onto the seat frame which holds it all in place. That piece of plastic J trim is popping off (Guess the material has stretched over the years) and the front of the seat cover is just flapping loosely under your thy/knee. I hope that is understandable =)

Thanks, Cory C
Old 08-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Thanks, Cory C
Mine has been this way since I bought the car. Ive had the seat out a couple times trying to get it back in place. Dealer even tried a couple times. It stays for a few minutes then pops back off.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Mine has been this way since I bought the car. Ive had the seat out a couple times trying to get it back in place. Dealer even tried a couple times. It stays for a few minutes then pops back off.

That's a Bummer, I am gona call an upholstery guy and see what he says.

I was thinking I could pull the seat out, Put the flap back in place and then maybe pop a few rivets in it to hold it but NOT a fan of drilling holes into it ya know...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I thought about taking it to an upholstery shop or rigging it myself, but eventually I'll be swapping the 2SS leather with a brand new 1SS cloth seat fabric. Hopefully those clip into place properly.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Quote:
That's a Bummer, I am gona call an upholstery guy and see what he says.

I was thinking I could pull the seat out, Put the flap back in place and then maybe pop a few rivets in it to hold it but NOT a fan of drilling holes into it ya know...
maybe try a couple small clamps or hog rings?

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
maybe try a couple small clamps or hog rings?

I had the same exact thought - Not sure what Kind of clamp would fit in the tight spot, Hog ring would require a hole also.

I bin thinking about it and came u with a new theory. I am assuming its popping off because the material and stretched and is a little loose. I think Tomorrow I am gona try to cut a piece of vacuum hose the length of the plastic J strip. Then when I fold the flap up into place insert that rubber tubing inside the fold. The fold will hold it in place, The tube will be flexible and It will take up space and increase the tension on the J trim piece. It May not work at all, but its something to try before I start drilling holes =)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
Stewart

Quote:
I had the same exact thought - Not sure what Kind of clamp would fit in the tight spot, Hog ring would require a hole also.

I bin thinking about it and came u with a new theory. I am assuming its popping off because the material and stretched and is a little loose. I think Tomorrow I am gona try to cut a piece of vacuum hose the length of the plastic J strip. Then when I fold the flap up into place insert that rubber tubing inside the fold. The fold will hold it in place, The tube will be flexible and It will take up space and increase the tension on the J trim piece. It May not work at all, but its something to try before I start drilling holes =)
Hey was curious on how you made out. When I said "hog rings" I meant these https://www.jegs.com/i/OER-Equipment...SABEgKcjvD_BwE

Old 08-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Hey was curious on how you made out. When I said "hog rings" I meant these https://www.jegs.com/i/OER-Equipment...SABEgKcjvD_BwE

Thanks for the link, I see what ya talking about =).

AS for today - IT BLEW UP! lol

Only thing I got done on my car was to change the Plugs and Wires (and had my Air Compressor motor short to ground because of some stupid Dirt Divers...)

SOOOO - The seat repair was put off, Ima try to mess with it in the AM. Had work and just ran out of time, two of my Daughters needed me to work on there cars and all kinds of other stuff lol.

I will let u know if it works or not for sure!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
Hippy
Hotwheels

Drives: Hotwheels Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to Hippy
2013 here and was at the dealer when I purchased it for the same issue.
They replaced the seat under warranty,
Soon after same things

Simple a $hitty design!
I live with it for now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Arkangel-77

Well I got a chance this morning to cut a piece of vacuum hose and fold it up in the flap. We will see it if holds? This was an attempt to add more tension to the little plastic J trip part... its still on there now =) , few days will be the real test... here is a before and after Pic
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
Arkangel-77

Just a Final fallow up. My little repair seems to be holding. I guess the material was just stretched and there was not enough tension to hold the trim piece in place? I suppose u could have it re sown to eliminate some of the slack but that would probably require removing the cover.

SO cheep and easy fix if u got the same problem, this seems to work =)
Old 08-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #14
Stewart

Glad it worked out for you and thank you for sharing.