Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Lightbulb I Want A New Car From Chevy....

So the "SS" is more or less really an Impala SS, and that's cool. It's a neat car, kind of a Camaro SS Sedan. Its out of my price range though. And it's kind of big. So recently I bought a Trailblazer with a 5.3, not the first V8 I've ever driven ( I worked at a Caddy place for years) but it was the first I've ever owned. I'm kinda hooked on 5.3. So with all of this in my head, I had a though...

And yeah I know it will never happen, no need to point out what I already know...

What if Chevy to the Cruze, the not quite compact but pretty small car, and made a rear wheel drive version, with a 6 speed manual, and a 5.3L V8. Fenders that flared out an extra few inches, and very wide high performance tires.

Think of it like a small "M" series BMW or "S" series Audi. But simple, not filled with fancy luxury toys, and cheap, say low 30's. And that sweet sweet V8 power. And in a car that small, it could probably easily get as much MPG as a V6 Camaro.

That is a car I would very seriously consider buying. Granted I'll buy anything that's rear wheel drive, but still.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
l008com

And while I'm making wishes, I want that second gen Trailblazer in north america. At least this one might happen.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
A SS and an Impala are two radically different cars.

A SS is a Beast with a 6.2 RWD, an Impala comes with 305 hp V-6 & is FWD

The SS is basically a New Pontiac G-8. The Impala is a Good Looking family sedan.

Sadly RWD small to mid-size cars are nearly extinct.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
What he said
You won't see a factory v8 car on a chassis smaller than the camaro nowadays.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So the "SS" is more or less really an Impala SS, and that's cool. It's a neat car, kind of a Camaro SS Sedan. Its out of my price range though. And it's kind of big. So recently I bought a Trailblazer with a 5.3, not the first V8 I've ever driven ( I worked at a Caddy place for years) but it was the first I've ever owned. I'm kinda hooked on 5.3. So with all of this in my head, I had a though...

And yeah I know it will never happen, no need to point out what I already know...

What if Chevy to the Cruze, the not quite compact but pretty small car, and made a rear wheel drive version, with a 6 speed manual, and a 5.3L V8. Fenders that flared out an extra few inches, and very wide high performance tires.

Think of it like a small "M" series BMW or "S" series Audi. But simple, not filled with fancy luxury toys, and cheap, say low 30's. And that sweet sweet V8 power. And in a car that small, it could probably easily get as much MPG as a V6 Camaro.

That is a car I would very seriously consider buying. Granted I'll buy anything that's rear wheel drive, but still.
The idea was thrown around a while ago. It would use a smaller-than-Alpha RWD platform, something like a FR-S/BRZ competitor. Probably wouldn't have had a V8 though.

GM should really just stick the 2.0T in Cruze, slap SS badges on, and call it a day.

Quote:
And while I'm making wishes, I want that second gen Trailblazer in north america. At least this one might happen.
GM did trademark "Blazer" last month...
Old 12-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
A SS and an Impala are two radically different cars.

A SS is a Beast with a 6.2 RWD, an Impala comes with 305 hp V-6 & is FWD

The SS is basically a New Pontiac G-8. The Impala is a Good Looking family sedan.

While true, the SS is essentially an Impala SS. RWD, full size V8 sedan, starting above what an Impala LTZ V6 is priced at.

Ideally, in my opinion at least, the next gen Impala should combine all four current Chevrolet full size sedans into one car.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
l008com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The idea was thrown around a while ago. It would use a smaller-than-Alpha RWD platform, something like a FR-S/BRZ competitor. Probably wouldn't have had a V8 though.

GM should really just stick the 2.0T in Cruze, slap SS badges on, and call it a day.

GM did trademark "Blazer" last month...
Last month? How was Blazer not already theirs?

As far as the cruze ss, if it were a 2.0T with like 17" wheels, I wouldn't be interested. I would be interested if they made a real, fun, serious car out of it. Which again guys, i KNOW is not ever going to happen. I'm just saying it would be the kind of car I'd be all over. Even more so than the Camaro I'm currently driving. For the hell of it, I was checking out the audi S3. It looks nice and the size would be useful but 2.0T in an "S"... hows about 3.0T or a 4.2 V8. But this leads to deeper issues, which is why does everything have to be a package, why can't they offer more options, and you configure it like you configure a computer, putting any engine you want etc. Obviously putting a 5.3 in a cruze would require a lot of engineering. But putting one in a camaro would require zero. And putting one in a colorado pickup probably wouldn't either, as i betcha it's been built to carry one already.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread wasn't to discuss how likely or unlikely it would be. It was just to talk about how cool this car would be if it existed. Hell it would be a cool car even if they put a small 4.8L V8 in it. I don't know if they're still making that engine, but it would probably still get over 300 ft-lb
Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
l008com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Even full size RWD cars, and SUVs for that matter, are pretty hard to come by. At least sports cars have made a come back, so there are more options for RWD than there were 5-10 years ago. But I owned one FWD car and I'm NEVER going back.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
Mr Twisty

A small rwd could be interesting. Did the Saturn sky sell well?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
l008com

The Sky was the same car as the Solstice right? I almost bought one of those after my RX-8. But the RX-8 was downright roomy and spacious compared to the solstice
Old 12-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Last month? How was Blazer not already theirs?

As far as the cruze ss, if it were a 2.0T with like 17" wheels, I wouldn't be interested. I would be interested if they made a real, fun, serious car out of it. Which again guys, i KNOW is not ever going to happen. I'm just saying it would be the kind of car I'd be all over. Even more so than the Camaro I'm currently driving. For the hell of it, I was checking out the audi S3. It looks nice and the size would be useful but 2.0T in an "S"... hows about 3.0T or a 4.2 V8. But this leads to deeper issues, which is why does everything have to be a package, why can't they offer more options, and you configure it like you configure a computer, putting any engine you want etc. Obviously putting a 5.3 in a cruze would require a lot of engineering. But putting one in a camaro would require zero. And putting one in a colorado pickup probably wouldn't either, as i betcha it's been built to carry one already.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread wasn't to discuss how likely or unlikely it would be. It was just to talk about how cool this car would be if it existed. Hell it would be a cool car even if they put a small 4.8L V8 in it. I don't know if they're still making that engine, but it would probably still get over 300 ft-lb
Probably because GM hasn't built a Blazer for the US market for years now so the trademark lapsed.

GM has the expertise to build small performance cars. Cobalt SS, while a mediocre compact, was a decent performance car. Just seems like they've been super risk-averse ever since the bankruptcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
A small rwd could be interesting. Did the Saturn sky sell well?
Don't remember how sales were, but Solstice and Sky were huge money pits for GM. They were produced basically just to bring interest back to their respective brands.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #12
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
A cruze isn't all that light compared to the 6th gen.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
Mr Twisty

Quote:
The Sky was the same car as the Solstice right? I almost bought one of those after my RX-8. But the RX-8 was downright roomy and spacious compared to the solstice
Short answer. Yes
Old 12-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
The SS and Impala are not even close to each other in similarities. I have a new Impala 3.6 and it's a fantastic car... with different tires from the originals, it handles so well it defies logic- better than my Audi A6 with sport suspension. It's fast, quiet and even the stereo is fantastic. Love everything about it.
Put the 3.6 in a Cruze and you'd have a super sleeper. One of my techs is hooking up a sleeper stock appearing Sonic turbo for autocross. Same engine as the Cruze but in a smaller package.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote