Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 06-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Ken Bell's loss = Texas Speed/Whipple's Gain

I had narrowed my SC choice down to the Whipple and Ken Bell, so today I called KB up and talked to a fella who would not deal on the price at all, and was not particularly friendly.

Then, I called up Texas Speed and talked to Jason (super nice guy by the way) and he gave me a very good deal on a Whipple kit and included free shipping to boot.

Needless to say I did business with Texas Speed!
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
I have a Whipple and when it's working right I love it. Seems thier customer service is iffy like KBs. Must be some SuperCharger God complex with these companies.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Inferno, what do you mean working right :(

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7 View Post
Inferno, what do you mean working right :(

Jason
The bypass valve sticking open is annoying the hell out of me. To top it off Whipple seems to have a thumb up their ass and it's taking to long.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
It's funny before I bought my whipple I really wanted a Bell primarily due to the fact that very few installations had been done at that point and I was doing it myself. No one ever returned any of my voicemails. I got a call back 2 weeks after I'd installed my whipple.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Irreverent
Banned

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 Inferno Orangle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
It's funny before I bought my whipple I really wanted a Bell primarily due to the fact that very few installations had been done at that point and I was doing it myself. No one ever returned any of my voicemails. I got a call back 2 weeks after I'd installed my whipple.
Wow, KB needs new management in the worst way. It's surprising they're still in business. Although, it could be that they are focused on their Ford market segment.
Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
I have the same issues with whipple then what people have with KB. Ive have had great experience with KB.

OP, your problem is you called KB directly for a deal, and a Whipple dealer for a deal. KB has their prices listed on their site. They aren't going to go "Oh we like you better, so lets cut you a deal".

A shop dealer on the other hand can move a lot more on pricing. They can also include their own little "package" deal for install, tune, and the like.

I could have gotten a Maggie from a dealer for almost $1,500 off the price tag. I didn't take it because I knew it wasn't what I wanted, so In the end I wouldn't be happy with it.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
FLP

Drives: 2010 FLP/Nickey Twin Turbo Camaro
<--- Gets KB dealer pricing so I know it's an option.... Not trying to pull any business away from a paying sponsor here, just stating that it is available.

FLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
I have the same issues with whipple then what people have with KB. Ive have had great experience with KB.

OP, your problem is you called KB directly for a deal, and a Whipple dealer for a deal. KB has their prices listed on their site. They aren't going to go "Oh we like you better, so lets cut you a deal".

A shop dealer on the other hand can move a lot more on pricing. They can also include their own little "package" deal for install, tune, and the like.

I could have gotten a Maggie from a dealer for almost $1,500 off the price tag. I didn't take it because I knew it wasn't what I wanted, so In the end I wouldn't be happy with it.
Well, the problem with your theory is that KB advertises direct to consumer sales with a huge banner on their site that says "Buy Factory Direct", which implies they do not have a dealer network (or a very weak one they do not support very well) and can deal on the price.

Another problem with your theory is that Whipple, via phone, offered essentially the same price as Texas Speed but TS kicked in free shipping and had one sitting on the shelf ready to go. Moreover, Jason at TS is genuinely a great person.

All the SC vendors are "value" pricing the Camaro SC's, which is clear from the pricing disparity between their Camaro and Mustang offerings. There's room for those cats to move on the price.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I agree, customer service and responsivnes is a big part of though. When I got my whipple I was quoted a lower price here and there, but I knew I'd need help and Tim at T and T seemed to be a genuinely nice and smart guy who'd at least done one install already (At the point I got mine almost no one had) I think if I'd have ordered the bell my car would still be sitting on jack stands in my garage as I weep into my scotch trying to figure out what I did wrong.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #11
HRC

Drives: 2010 2SS
KB does not have dealers, but rather "installers, and yes, it can be frustrating. I am the only KB installer in Iowa, and if I didn't believe in their product so much, I'd probably deal with a different company, but I've learned a few ways to cut through the red tape to get info quicker. Yes, they seem to be understaffed, and are probably missing alot of sales, and I know it's the owner's decision to keep it "old School" and deal with people directly.
Pricing is another deal I saw posted here. There isn't much if any wiggle room on a s/c package, and we're not allowed to advertise lower than factory direct, which is fine, but we also have to install the units we sell - ie: no retail sales to a consumer for their own installation. I do wish we could advertise and sell to the consumer and maybe just inspect to validate warranties or something, but thats the way they want it I guess.
Not knocking KB one bit, they definitely have my vote as the best performing kit out there, and I have one on my personal car, as well as 3 of the other 4 in my small suburb. The 4th is saving up....
HRC is offline   Reply With Quote