Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
CNT racing catback, or JBA axleback ---> Installed JBA, need moar!!

It would seem like a no brainer right? So I've finally given into the whole exhaust craze, and have been shopping around looking for sound clips or first hand impressions that'll help me cement my purchase. After hearing some JBA exhaust vids, courtesy of AUS10BMX (Great sounding clips btw!) I was near convinced that's the setup i've been looking for. This morning however, I came across CNT racing's catback system price listed comparable to that of an axle back.
http://www.cntracing.com/CNT_perform...p/cb-camv6.htm

Ideally, I'm looking for a mellow sound, not too loud, with as minimal rasp and droning as possible. Budget hovering in the high $400 range. Not too much to ask, right? Or is it. I don't know. My previous cars were full on performance oriented, which means loud as hell and annoying around town. I'd like to avoid similar situation with the LLT.

Any and all help would be appreciated. First hand impressions on the CNT would be invaluable!

Addendum: Installed JBA Exhaust, love it! However, it needs a little something extra...

Last edited by Atlas; 11-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
JBA for sure!

I have had ten JBA exhaust systems on my cars and they always sound mean and are not overpriced.

http://marylandspeed.com/jba-axlebac...12-p-2671.html

Just my 02
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
I'm kind of curious as how the CNT exhaust would sound with the OBX LT's.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
The CNT for 399 shipped is a steal. It's a complete stainless steel cat back system. If I was shopping for exhaust right now I would jump all over that for only 399 shipped. I remember it used to be 599 when I was shopping for my exhaust. I seen a couple CNT's on suby's back in my suby days and it was a nicely built system. The only thing I might be concerned with is the rasp. Listening to some of those videos they have posted I can definitely hear rasp. I think a long tube header with magnaflow perforated x-pipe and those CNT would be a nice setup. I would definitely go that route.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
That CNT clip sounds horrible... worse than stock in my opinion.

I debated on all the popular exhausts for 2 years, and went with the least common JBA... Best decision I have ever made, sounds so good!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=jba
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
The only thing I might be concerned with is the rasp. Listening to some of those videos they have posted I can definitely hear rasp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
That CNT clip sounds horrible... worse than stock in my opinion.
I thought it might have been just my earbuds, but I hear the rasp, almost the same as stock but a little more pronounced. That's what why I was hoping that CNT owners would chime in with their own personal reviews. $399 for a stainless catback is a steal, but I'd better also like the noise it produces.

So, enter another axle-back. I'm seriously considering the MRT V.2 against the JBA. I'll need to do more research. There are some that say even the V.2 version drones. I have an M6, so it might be a little more controllable.

Although there is already a wealth of information on the MRT V2, owners; feel free to post your reviews as well!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So, enter another axle-back. I'm seriously considering the MRT V.2 against the JBA. I'll need to do more research. There are some that say even the V.2 version drones. I have an M6, so it might be a little more controllable.

Although there is already a wealth of information on the MRT V2, owners; feel free to post your reviews as well!
My overall choice was Flowmaster, MRT V2... at times I had them in the cart, would do more research, and would change my mind.

If I didn't have JBA's I would have gone MRT, everyone loves them, but then you will always have some who say they hear drone.

I didn't hear any drone with JBA, it's louder, but only because it's a nicer sounding exhaust behind you, and no rasp.

It also came down to looks for me as well, JBA's also sold me on the 4" slanted tips. Has a stock look, but aggressive from the rear. I wasn't a fan of how the MRT tips looked.

Either choice I'm sure you will be happy!
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post

I didn't hear any drone with JBA, it's louder, but only because it's a nicer sounding exhaust behind you, and no rasp.

It also came down to looks for me as well, JBA's also sold me on the 4" slanted tips. Has a stock look, but aggressive from the rear. I wasn't a fan of how the MRT tips looked.

Either choice I'm sure you will be happy!
After hearing both systems with my buddy's studio headphones, I think I'm sold on the JBA's I want something louder than stock but not excessively so, while avoiding that notorious rasp at all costs. I know this is especially difficult when looking into axleback only systems. Plus, the 4" tips on the JBA will save me money as well. I was going to switch the ones on the MRT out if I bought them.

Thanks for the reply, and helping me make my decision!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
The Magnaflow axle-backs mated to their xpipe is not too loud and just sounds really good IMO.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
mypuppysirius

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey V6
personally, i cringed when i just played that cnt clip. that rasp was terrible in my opinion.

i want to stay as far away from a civic sound as i can.