Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
Is the ZL1 a better car than the CTS V

Hi everyone I am trading in my SS in the Spring I am curious do any of you feel like the ZL1 is a better all around performance car than the CTS V?

I am planning on putting 15k in mods minimum under whatever I get next Summer and my biggest turn off is the lack of Yellow Interior options for the Rally Yellow ZL1 I would be interested in.

Obviously gutting an interior and making it quality is alot harder than say repainting the V Sunrise Gold or another Yellow Variant and I am curious if any of you feel like I would be getting a lesser vehicle performance wise in the V Coupe.

Considering I love the color yellow the CTS V interior is definitely top of the line for my wants and needs not even counting the luxury features but considering I would like to race it I wonder how the V will stack up once its all said and done against the LSA ZL1
ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Paulg680

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
I sold my 2009 CTS-V to buy a ZL1. The reason I did so was because I found the V to be too much of a luxury car and not enough of a sports car. It was almost too plush, too quiet, and full of features that I rarely used. It was also an automatic which I was never really happy with since I prefer manual transmissions. Even though the car was incredibly fast, had awesome brakes, and handled like it was on rails, I always found myself wanting more of a muscle car than a luxury performance car.

Even though I was a little concerned that I would find the Camaro lacking in comparison to the V, the ZL1 handles just as well, has more comfortable seats, sounds WAY better, and is more fun to drive. It also attracts a lot more attention than the V ever did.

Based on what you said you wanted, I would recommend getting a ZL1 without a doubt.
Paulg680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
ZZZ

I would be someone who uses the majority of the luxury features. Did you have Recaros or regular seats?

Also overall do you feel they are equal in overall straight line and track potential or the ZL1 wins out with the slight horsepower boost?

I like my SS its loud with an aftermarket exhaust but I can handle the sound being toned down a little considering how much I love the V interior in Yellow. I assume a new exhaust and a 700+ package from KDI would cure any sound issues in the long run but I doubt it will ever truly sound like the beast ZL1s that are on the road right now.

I just feel like I may be getting shorted when I start racing with this thing.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Paulg680

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
I had the optional Recaro seats. The cars are very close in terms of acceleration, braking, and handling. In my opinion, the ZL1 is pretty much race-ready, whereas the V would need to be modded. Also, I don't understand why you would want a race car with luxury features.

Don't forget that the LSA engine in the ZL1 has a few more horses than the V. More importantly, the ZL1 has the engine oil, transmission, and differential coolers that the V lacks.
Paulg680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
ZZZ

Well I get 7k or so off the V so pricing would be very similar.

Also like I said the yellow interior is the biggest selling point for me. I am not a fan of the ZL1 Camaro interior and feel like for the price they should have allowed color options at the very least. I drive around major US city Downtowns quite a bit and the NAV would be useful and I would enjoy having the entertainment system while I drive on road trips once its hacked

Just because I race doesn't mean I don't wanna do it luxuriously

I assume at the end of the day once I take it in the shop any minor differences can be made up for but from what you noticed could you tell a power difference from both of your vehicles?

I have heard disputes that the power doesn't really make much of a difference but that just doesn't make sense given its what about a 40 HP difference?

Also did you notice a difference in sound quality regarding the Speakers?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Sounds like to me you need to go look at both cars in and out and if possible a test drive for both. Anyone on here can tell you stock for stock the ZL1 is better than the CTS-V when it comes to performance. I'm almost sure the CTS-V weighs more too.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
get the cts-v. that car looks so much better than a zl1.
Well you're entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more.

The CTSV coupe is awful looking IMO, and very bland.

The ZL1 turns heads - have you actually seen one in person?

Still, if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
The CTSV is fast and quiet and refined I love driving as my daily driver , my ZL1 is my muscle car loud and I love racing it and beating it up on the track

Name:  2012_Aug_Indy_etc 192.jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  239.9 KB
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
The CTSV is fast and quiet and refined I love driving as my daily driver , my ZL1 is my muscle car loud and I love racing it and beating it up on the track

Attachment 418552
Grass needs water.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
hv92

Drives: .
Also, in terms of warranty.. I find the cadillac warranty hard to beat. Free oil changes and maintenance for the first 50,000 miles/ 4 years. Pretty much all u gotta pay for is gas and insurance.. I am/was in the same dilemma as you and frankly, I think I would go for the V coupe if it was to be a daily driver. Just make sure u got the satin rims, dechrome everything, and slight tint. You got a winner

But also, keep in mind that the majority of the answers you will get on this forum is for the ZL1..
IF you go on cadillac forums, the majority will be for the CTS-V.

Its all subjective. So.. best to just go test drive.

Last edited by hv92; 09-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
hv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
get the cts-v. that car looks so much better than a zl1.
The CTSV- COUPE there is , right ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post

Attachment 418552
I hate you.

If i eat your heart do I become you?
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
I hate you.

If i eat your heart do I become you?
Not a chance , you will die at the first bit