Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
shqcapps

Drives: 2015 1LE
Popping noise from front end of 15' 1LE

So in the mornings when I leave out of the drive way backing out slowing and turn the wheel there is a loud popping noise. It only happens it seems when it is cold but once I get moving its fine. Has anybody heard of this? I am just assuming its cold but seems a little loud.

Thanks
shqcapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Copy and pasted from page#9 in this link
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-co...ink-2013-F.pdf

The 2012-2013 Camaro ZL1
and 2013 Camaro SS with RPO
1LE feature high performance
tires that may exhibit a single
audible “pop” or “snap” noise
immediately after the vehicle
is put into motion. This noise is
typically noticed first thing in
the morning after the vehicle
has been stationary overnight or
for an extended period of time
and is more pronounced in lower
ambient temperatures. The
noise sounds similar to a brake
pad that has temporarily stuck
to a rotor due to vehicle inactiv-
ity. After the initial vehicle movement, the noise can no longer be duplicated until the car remains stationary again for an extended period of time.
This condition is a characteristic of the vehicle’s high performance tires. Due to the tires’ soft rubber compound, they have a natural tendency to stick to the pavement. When the vehicle is moved, this pop noise is the sound of the tire releasing from the pavement. Do not make any repairs. This is a normal characteristic of the high performance tires.

Hope this helps!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
I have this everyday.....It is DEFINITELY the brake pads sticking to the rotors. The pads on these cars are great, so leave them be!
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I get that too and have always wondered what it was! But Camaro Dude, contrary to that article mine only happens when I turn the wheel then tap the brake (leaving the home that is). It's a pop for me and it moves my steering wheel sometimes, but after i'm out of my driveway it's done. It's gotta be the rotors and tires..
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
cnttouchthis

Drives: 2014 1le camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
I get that too and have always wondered what it was! But Camaro Dude, contrary to that article mine only happens when I turn the wheel then tap the brake (leaving the home that is). It's a pop for me and it moves my steering wheel sometimes, but after i'm out of my driveway it's done. It's gotta be the rotors and tires..
well like the original poster is saying its when he backs out the driveway then turns the wheel. so unless this pop sound is instant when the vehicle starts to move i dont see how the tires can be making a pop sound. same with brake pads if they were stuck to the rotor wouldnt that also be an instant pop sound once the vehicle begins to move?
cnttouchthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Turbosaurus

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Well we finally get some cold weather in Texas and I noticed mine doing the same thing. Only happens when backing up and turning the wheels. It does it with my foot off the brake and after the car is already in motion, so i don't think its brakes/tires. Sounds more like something in the suspension to me.

Past:

'69 Chevelle SS396
'79 Camaro 400SBC/TH400
Present:
'14 Camaro 2SS/1LE
'03 Avalanche (tow car for...)
Twin-turbo SBC Super Comp Dragster
Future:
FFR 33 Hot Rod w/ SBC
RCR GT-40 w/ LS7
Turbosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
alexmak

Drives: 2013 1LE
Well, at least it's not just me - I thought it was something wrong with suspension on my car. I don't think it's brakes, it happens when I back up with wheels turned and I at that moment I don't use brakes.
alexmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Mine does the same thing. It's usually one or two pops backing out of the drive way but that's it.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
I thought the popping sound was the reverse gear?!?
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Broke Pilot

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE,'68 Chevelle,'70 Vette
Yea that release is one of those worthless HR throw togethers to keep people from knowing that they do t know the answer. My 1LE has done it from day 1, it's not brake pads since I'm already rolling. But it is related to the tires, since they are so sticky and wide, it's your tie rod ends and ball joints popping over. My lifted chevy truck does the same thing in reverse when you cut the wheels. These tires grab so much when they're drug backwards in reverse the TRE's will give up their last bit of travel with a pop.
Nice thing is, when they wear out you'll know it cus you won't get the pop anymore.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
Bluegrass1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
I've had this happen several times too. I've only noticed it when backing out of the driveway, and my rear tires are on the blacktop of the street, and fronts are still on the concrete of the driveway. Its sounded more like a rear tire to me. Since I usually have to have steer fairly sharp for this turn, I assumed it might have something do to with the inside tire or its suspension that was more or less "pivoting" rather than rolling like the outside tire in this situation.
Bluegrass1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
shqcapps

Drives: 2015 1LE
Thanks everyone for your input....It definitely sounds like the front end popping when I turn my wheel in the morning backing out. Now I know it's just not me with the popping sound.
shqcapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
Holliss69

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe A6
....could be.....

Another Possibility is "rear gear". There are posts about this around, rear gear IN REVERSE while turning (usually) may make noise similar to your description, there is also a TSB for this issue. Mine did it off and on and more in the cold. I simply back into garage now and it doesn't bother me as much, requires a fluid change or 3 along with some odd driving exercises to fix.

Just another poosibility for ya.....
Holliss69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Turbosaurus

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holliss69 View Post
Another Possibility is "rear gear". There are posts about this around, rear gear IN REVERSE while turning (usually) may make noise similar to your description, there is also a TSB for this issue. Mine did it off and on and more in the cold. I simply back into garage now and it doesn't bother me as much, requires a fluid change or 3 along with some odd driving exercises to fix.

Just another poosibility for ya.....
....as in the limited slip differential slipping after sitting for a while?

Have a link or number for that TSB? (Thanks in advance)

Mine sounds as if it is coming from the front, but the rear diff is a possibility....

Past:

'69 Chevelle SS396
'79 Camaro 400SBC/TH400
Present:
'14 Camaro 2SS/1LE
'03 Avalanche (tow car for...)
Twin-turbo SBC Super Comp Dragster
Future:
FFR 33 Hot Rod w/ SBC
RCR GT-40 w/ LS7
Turbosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote