Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 04-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
seandogg80

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss manual
Thumbs down Ticking and knocking engine. I don't know what to do.

Hello all,
I am currently driving my second, yes 2nd 2016 2ss manual. The first car I bought had really bad issues with the differential making noise and a loud pop from the rear end of the car at every acceleration. Penske was nice enough to replace it with another one, since it had less than 200 miles and was on its third day of ownership.

I have a new 2016 2ss 6M with around 800 miles on it. When the car is decelerating or accelerating "slowly" around 1.5-3k rpm, there is a loud ticking noise - sounds like a sewing machine gone bad. I noticed it for 2 straight hours while driving in lovely Los Angeles traffic today while using gears 1 - 3 and it drove me crazy. I posted a thread about this a couple of days ago, and most people were stating that it's coming from the high psi direct injectors.

If you have a 2016 Camaro, can you please let me know how much ticking or knocking sound you hear? I am trying to not be paranoid; however, I am being anal about the sound due to the bad taste the first one left in my mouth. Thank you in advance!
seandogg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
this seems to be your white whale, youve started at least 4 posts onthis now? if the dealer says everything checks out, you have a choice to live with it or sell the car, as I said before.

seriously, get to the bottom and stop posting here about it, we have given you all that we can say on the subject. THE CAR MAKES NOISE, yes, you are correct. It's up to you to figure out if that is something you can live with or not...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Any members on here that live near you that can listen to your car and compare it to theirs?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
this seems to be your white whale, youve started at least 4 posts onthis now? if the dealer says everything checks out, you have a choice to live with it or sell the car, as I said before.

seriously, get to the bottom and stop posting here about it, we have given you all that we can say on the subject. THE CAR MAKES NOISE, yes, you are correct. It's up to you to figure out if that is something you can live with or not...
I get what you're saying Glen, but I'm trying to avoid hassling with the dealer again since I'm on my second car withing a week and a half. I'm asking for input, and I thank you for yours as well.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandogg80 View Post
I get what you're saying Glen, but I'm trying to avoid hassling with the dealer again since I'm on my second car withing a week and a half. I'm asking for input, and I thank you for yours as well.
I Realize you are frustrated and hoping you get another type of answer here, but you really won't....what you got yourself into here is the "mattress and the pea" type ting, once you have fixated on it, it's very loud TO YOU...but to others that is not a problem. (But prob have other things they think are wrong...LOL)

I was a field rep for BMW, Porsche and Honda for 35 years and dealt with 100's of people just like you that could not get a tick or noise out of their head. After checking out a few things and my field engineer declaring it is normal, I had to ask the customer to get another car or live with it, It was never a good ending....Recently it's happening big time to BMW turbo 4 owners, they make a lot of racket....we call it "diesel clatter" even though it a gas DI engine.

you can find people in your situation all over the Porsche and BMW forums, all the time....

You can request a Chevy zone service rep listen to it but that's only after the dealer declares it to be diff that the others he is seeing....

Last edited by Glen e; 04-01-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Katastrophe

Drives: 2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX CVT
OP - If you haven't done so already, bring the car back to the dealership and get it checked out. Take a tech for a ride, etc. Your ultimate goal, if there isn't a solution to the problem, is to get it documented. That way, if something DOES arise down the road, you have a history of the issue.

Other than that...you have warranty. Drive the wheels off the car. If it blows, it will be fixed.

My 0.02...
Katastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
dennis@hixsonnet.com

Drives: Me: '16 2SS yellow, Wife: '16 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
OP - If you haven't done so already, bring the car back to the dealership and get it checked out. Take a tech for a ride, etc. Your ultimate goal, if there isn't a solution to the problem, is to get it documented. That way, if something DOES arise down the road, you have a history of the issue.

Other than that...you have warranty. Drive the wheels off the car. If it blows, it will be fixed.

My 0.02...
...what he said
dennis@hixsonnet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
video?
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Sounds like this? Normal according to the comments.

BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
seandogg80

[QUOTE=Glen e;9005332]this seems to be your white whale, youve started at least 4 posts onthis now? if the dealer says everything checks out, you have a choice to live with it or sell the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post

My 0.02...
Thank you for the input.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
seandogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
video?
https://youtu.be/JES5lMRNiUE

This isn't a great example since I wasn't able to decelerate much. I'll post another video shorty.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
So let me get this straight, you are telling us your dealership replaced your ENTIRE CAR due to rear end noise? The same noise issue that GM knows of and there is a TSB for that at most requires replacing the rear end? But you had the ENTIRE CAR replaced?

Lol I can't wait to talk to GM about that.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
I'm confused. People are telling you they have the same sound in their car (I do too), they give you an explanation about what causes the sound, and you keep asking the same question in different threads? There is nothing wrong with the car. Like Glen has told you, either sell it or live with it. Why keep beating a dead horse? If you're dwelling on the ticking sound instead of the amazing sounding V8, it's probably not the car for you.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #14
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandogg80 View Post
https://youtu.be/JES5lMRNiUE

This isn't a great example since I wasn't able to decelerate much. I'll post another video shorty.
I listened with my volume way up to almost painful to listen to and I'm not hearing a ticking.. I'm hearing an oscillating sound that's probably your tires (because the the F1 are noisy), but I don't hear a ticking.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defect, fuel injection, noise, rattle