Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2022, 07:33 PM   #15
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Yep! I just bought a new switchblade key not long ago. I took the blade from my original key and installed it into my new fob. Then programming is EXTREMELY simple. Chevy wanted to charge 1 hour of labor to program it at $140/hr. What you do is put your current key in the ignition, turn it to the on position, without starting the car. Let the security light turn off. Then turn the key off and pull it, put your new fob in and turn it to on, again not trying to start the car. It should say "X Keys Programmed" (X being the number of keys programmed.)
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:40 PM   #16
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
Thank you. My 2013 has the switch blade style but my 2015 came with two of the "regular" keys with fobs. Both work fine. I've had zero issues with either and I guess, don't understand why it is an issue.
It’s an originality thing for me. The car came with a pretty cool key that I like and it’s the original key setup. With the position i sit in the car there’s no way I can hit the key with my knee in any possible way so I want the original style key and not an afterthought if that makes sense.
Like pyro said programming the key is stupid easy. I did it on my own with the old car.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:24 PM   #17
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
It’s an originality thing for me. The car came with a pretty cool key that I like and it’s the original key setup. With the position i sit in the car there’s no way I can hit the key with my knee in any possible way so I want the original style key and not an afterthought if that makes sense.
Like pyro said programming the key is stupid easy. I did it on my own with the old car.
I get that. Which is why I have decided to keep my new Camaro bone stock. At some point, I may even remove the hot air intake the owner installed, and put a stock set-up back in it as well.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:07 AM   #18
carlc376

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro v6
We just purchased our 2010 and it had the key recall completed. The fob pads were gone on both. I bought a pair of empty fobs (no internals) from Amazon for under $10 each and they work great (we will still use the individual key and not the fobs built-in key). I also have no problem starting the car with the fob on a key ring while using the separate key.
carlc376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #19
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Do you remember the seller on EBay?
I noticed mine are looking a bit bleak.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173946128693

These are the new design but if you look around you can find the old design as well.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #20
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173946128693

These are the new design but if you look around you can find the old design as well.
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #21
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Picked up a couple of these FOB's from Alliexpress back in 2016. Swapped the guts and key and it still looks and works like the day it arrived. I believe its a genuine GM part. I wonder why we got such cheap FOBs while they got better one overseas.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2022, 01:56 PM   #22
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Do you remember the seller on EBay?
I noticed mine are looking a bit bleak.
I recently bought these for $8 each on Amazon and did the guts swap, as my keys had gotten super gooey and sticky.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XRPI3T0...roduct_details

Seems to be of good quality, comes with the Chevy emblem, etc.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:15 PM   #23
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
I bought 2 cheap cases from ebay and swapped out the little electronic board when mine gummed up and fell apart. I had the recall done as well. The last thing you want to do is have the key break off when you knee it while you're on a trip, be unable to turn off your car, have to search for a chevrolet dealer, wait for them to dig out the key, make a new one, then do the recall....trust me...
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:39 PM   #24
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
you must be a giant...as theres no way i can bump my key with my knee...I mean not unless i TRIED...or doing something freaky while driving I guess....it was her foot wasnt it??
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:28 PM   #25
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
you must be a giant...as theres no way i can bump my key with my knee...I mean not unless i TRIED...or doing something freaky while driving I guess....it was her foot wasnt it??
I'm 6'. Just had the cruse set and trying to get comfortable on a long stretch of empty highway. knee hit it.
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #26
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
I'm 7' tall and the only way I hit the key is if I'm trying to.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:43 PM   #28
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
I brought two new uncut switchblade fobs to the dealer to have the recall done on them figuring I’d then have two original switchblades keys and two recall keys. The dealer wouldn’t do it! Service mgr said it would be a GM liability issue if the original switchblades weren’t refitted. I immediately left!
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote