Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
SE6OV1A

Drives: 2017 2SS
2014 Lemon?

Took delivery 10/17/13 on my 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS. Within 2 weeks one morning it failed. Starter cranked but engine did not turn over. I shut it off, removed the key, reinserted and it started fine but gave me DTC code P1682. 1st trip to my local dealer proved to be a waste of time. After keeping my car for 3 days they couldn't get it to repeat the issue so nothing was done. Camaro was fine for a week but then it happened again. Brought it back to the dealer I purchased it at and they put me in a rental for 7 days while they replaced the ECM. On the same day I picked her up (11/19), I got home and it happened again!
Took her right back (46 mile round trip) and got back into the rental I had just returned
They replaced some relays and assured me it would not happen again.
Picked her up on 11/20 and last night (11/21) it happened again but worse. Failed to start last night at the gas station and then once more after dinner. Once it fired up it had a really rough idle so I shut it off and I got a Stabillitrack warning on the center screen. Called OnStar, got code C0242 (failure of ABS & Traction Control) in addition to the P1682 Reduced Engine Power.
I am going nuts. And will be taking her back for the 4th time!
THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Last edited by SE6OV1A; 11-25-2013 at 11:17 PM.
SE6OV1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
hang in there, sometimes you gotta break their will! Jk
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
SE6OV1A

I'm hanging haha
Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
rare991

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
No excuses. I would tear that dealer a new one!
rare991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE6OV1A View Post
Took delivery 10/17/13 on my 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS. Within 2 weeks it failed to start and gave me DTC code P1682. 1st trip to my local dealer proved to be a waste of time. After keeping my car for 3 days they couldn't get it to repeat the issue so nothing was done. Camaro was fine for a week but then it happened again. Brought it back to the dealer I purchased it at and they put me in a rental for 7 days while they replaced the ECM. On the same day I picked her up (11/19), I got home and it happened again!
Took her right back (46 mile round trip) and got back into the rental I had just returned
They replaced some relays and assured me it would not happen again.
Picked her up on 11/20 and last night (11/21) it happened again but worse. Failed to start last night at the gas station and then once more after dinner. Once it fired up it had a really rough idle so I shut it off and I got a Stabillitrack warning on the center screen. Called OnStar, got code C0242 (failure of ABS & Traction Control) in addition to the P1682 Reduced Engine Power.
I am going nuts. And will be taking her back for the 4th time!
THIS IS RIDICULOUS.
The engine reduced power is caused by the acceleration pedal. Have them replace that.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Get a GM rep involved if you need to. You have to be forceful, and if that dealer doesnt work out, find another one.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
SE6OV1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Get a GM rep involved if you need to. You have to be forceful, and if that dealer doesnt work out, find another one.
Thanks, yeah I may have to get one involved. I'll be dropping her off today and they've already told me she won't get worked on until Monday... we'll see what happens
Old 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Clearly the dealer doesn't know what their diagnosing. You don't have a lemon, you have a car with a problem that your dealer can't diagnose properly. Had it of been diagnosed right the first time, the problem would be resolved.

The ABS light and all other related lights are coming on because of the ECM is causing those modules to shut down because of the issue your having with the car.

Don't listen to "FINALYSATIFIED" the reduced engine power message can be turned on for several faults, I can think of atleast 15 codes right now off the top of my head that set that light and only 1 of them is gas pedal related. The APPS code is P2138. Jumping to conclusions/mystery diagnosing and throwing parts at the car is exactly why the issue with your car hasn't been repaired.

Give me a bit and I will report back with more information on the code you provided.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
Sounds like a faulty throttle positioning sensor to me. Had something very similar happen to my 2007 Tahoe and replaced the entire throttle body assembly.
2010 Summit White 2SS/RS M6: Injen longtube cold air intake, Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust, Tint, White painted rear diffuser, Red powder-coated Brembo calipers, New Era Performance ported throttle body, BMR 1" lowering springs, Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Tower Brace, Red hash stripes, Vossen Matte Graphite/Machined CV5's
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

The code you mentioned in your first post is a P1682

I read up on that code and found that it will set that DTC when the ECM detected that there is greater than 3 V difference between the ignition run relay signal and the engine controls ignition relay signal circuits for greater than 1 s.

Now what the technician should be doing is verifying his power mode master inputs the the BCM from the ignition, and he should then verify all his ignition powers to the BCM, it seems like the BCM it may not be receiving the proper signal from the ignition switch which then cannot send proper information to your ECM, causing the light to come on. Or the BCM is not interpreting/communicating the proper information with the ECM. There is also several connectors on these related circuits that should be inspected for proper terminal tension and all other related connector checks. Every inch of wire and data line should also be tested properly to ensure proper circuit operation. There is also a main chassis ground that should be inspected too.

In short this is what they should be looking at:

- key or keys, ignition switch/ignition related components, BCM, ECM, all circuit related connectors, data lines, terminals and wiring, fuse blocks, all module power, ground, inputs and outputs for these circuits.

I can guaranty that if they can get the code to set and the condition to happen and they check exactly what I posted above, they WILL find the problem.

Its about as far as I can go with this, without having the car in front of me to properly test it. A good way to help the dealership is when the condition does happen, make a mental note of all the operating parameters of the car, engine temp, outside temp, how long you drove it for, how you drove the car before it happen, which key you were using and describe to them EXACTLY how it happen. If it is really intermittent/inconsistent and the issue does not happen under the same operating characteristics, the dealer has some diagnostic tools they can provide you, i know of one for sure that plugs into your OBD2 port and when the fault occurs you press the big button on it and it records all module information before and after the fault occurs, so they can possibly the problem. The dealer has to set up this tool properly to monitor the proper module or modules.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Throttle position code is P2135, not related to his concern, but was most likely related to your Tahoe problem.

The throttle body should only be replaced for this condition if: when you operate it by hand and you find the throttle plate binds, if the plate moves freely, it only requires a new throttle body sensor. Then your dealer should have done a throttle body cleaning, an ECM re flash with an updated file and an idle learn. The throttle body code sets when your two sensor voltages are way off and are not within calibrated spec.

This is defenitly not the issue he is having with his P1682 code. The only relation between the 2 is the reduced engine power message.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Some type of lemon , definitely not a sweet one! lol.. j/p Talk to GM customer service on here . So you can know it's getting taken care of the right way.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
SE6OV1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
Clearly the dealer doesn't know what their diagnosing. You don't have a lemon, you have a car with a problem that your dealer can't diagnose properly. Had it of been diagnosed right the first time, the problem would be resolved.

The ABS light and all other related lights are coming on because of the ECM is causing those modules to shut down because of the issue your having with the car.

Don't listen to "FINALYSATIFIED" the reduced engine power message can be turned on for several faults, I can think of atleast 15 codes right now off the top of my head that set that light and only 1 of them is gas pedal related. The APPS code is P2138. Jumping to conclusions/mystery diagnosing and throwing parts at the car is exactly why the issue with your car hasn't been repaired.

Give me a bit and I will report back with more information on the code you provided.
Thanks for all the info DJ! How do I get in contact with GM from the forum?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
We are happy to help! You can click on the Chevrolet Customer Service username and then click "send a private message." If you could provide us with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership, we are happy to assist further. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE6OV1A View Post
Thanks for all the info DJ! How do I get in contact with GM from the forum?
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, c0242, issues, p1682, problems