Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #253
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_SS View Post
Ok, I orders the cts-v calipers but am having a hard time getting some front rotors. Can you guys help me find some that don't cost an arm and a leg. I have tried to look for Dba or other companies that offer drilled but only brembo so far. They are very expensive at $1300 for the front pair. I tried r1 and grantelli but either have anything. Please help
Availability has been an issue for CTS-V rotors. Have you checked on availability for the GMPP Brembo two piece rotor for the CTS-V?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #254
Venom_SS

Drives: Camaro SS
The brembo 2 pc was $1300 for the pair. I was looking for something a little more reasonable
Venom_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #255
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_SS View Post
Ok, I orders the cts-v calipers but am having a hard time getting some front rotors. Can you guys help me find some that don't cost an arm and a leg. I have tried to look for Dba or other companies that offer drilled but only brembo so far. They are very expensive at $1300 for the front pair. I tried r1 and grantelli but either have anything. Please help
Can I ask what you paid for the the calipers?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #256
JusticePete

Give one of these two Chevy / Pedders Dealers a call for help with the CTS-V bits.

Becky Dolye
Rogers Chevrolet
chevyfleet@aol.com
(734) 479-7171

Rich Wilhoff
Abel Chevrolet Pontiac Buick
r.willhoff@yahoo.com
(888) 599-4944
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #257
Venom_SS

Drives: Camaro SS
They list to call them but when you do they will just take your number. After a day they call you and say the rotors are unavailable at the moment
Venom_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #258
JusticePete

mike@thepowdercoater.com originally posted this in a self standing thread. I thought it was worth reporting it here. Thanks for a great tip Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@thepowdercoater.com View Post
I know its a popular upgrade, but be advised that when swapping the rears out for cadillac rears, the balance tubes should be moved to the opposite side of the cadillac caliper before installation.

On the camaro caliper, the crossover tube is on the side with the smaller piston. Because the caliper sits on the leading edge of the rotor on the cadillac, rather than the trailing edge like the camaro, the crossover tube is on the side with the larger piston.

The reason for the difference is pad wear and taper. The leading edge wears faster and generates more heat, so to compensate for it, perfomance caliper manufacturers put smaller pistons on the leading edge.

Fronts are oriented the same on both cars, so if doing a front only upgrade there is no issue.

Just some friendly advice from your local powdercoater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That is a great tip. We did flip them on our install, but I do not think we made it as clear as you did.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #259
JusticePete

Availability of the OE CTS-V rotors has been problematic. I am checking with the source to see if there is anything we can do to alleviate this. I should have a response back shortly.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #260
jai

Drives: VE SSV
Quote:
Availability of the OE CTS-V rotors has been problematic. I am checking with the source to see if there is anything we can do to alleviate this. I should have a response back shortly.
Only took 1 day for me to get some last week from buygmpartsdirect.com
jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #261
tsears

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99 - CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jai View Post
Only took 1 day for me to get some last week from buygmpartsdirect.com

How much did they run you?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #262
jai

Drives: VE SSV
About $250 + shipping
jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #263
08G8V8

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8GT
Quote:
mike@thepowdercoater.com originally posted this in a self standing thread. I thought it was worth reporting it here. Thanks for a great tip Mike.

Quote: Originally Posted by mike@thepowdercoater.com
I know its a popular upgrade, but be advised that when swapping the rears out for cadillac rears, the balance tubes should be moved to the opposite side of the cadillac caliper before installation.

On the camaro caliper, the crossover tube is on the side with the smaller piston. Because the caliper sits on the leading edge of the rotor on the cadillac, rather than the trailing edge like the camaro, the crossover tube is on the side with the larger piston.

The reason for the difference is pad wear and taper. The leading edge wears faster and generates more heat, so to compensate for it, perfomance caliper manufacturers put smaller pistons on the leading edge.

Fronts are oriented the same on both cars, so if doing a front only upgrade there is no issue.

Just some friendly advice from your local powdercoater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete
That is a great tip. We did flip them on our install, but I do not think we made it as clear as you did.

I've got the gen1 CTS-V calipers on the front of my G8. Now that we have a solution for keeping the ebrake, I'm looking to complete the installation with the gen1 CTS-V calipers on the rear.

Both gen1 and gen2 CTS-V models had the rear calipers mounted on the forward side of the rotor. Both also had the crossover tube on the lower side of the caliper, which based on what Mike said, would be on the LARGER piston.

I'm trying to grasp the design rational of the larger vs smaller pistons, and position relative to the rotor. Is the mounting of the CTS caliper on the "leading edge" of the rotor considered "leading edge" because it is "forward" of the axle, vs the Camaro on the "trailing edge" because it is "aft" of the axle?

I was thinking the "leading edge" of the rotor would be the first portion of the rotor to enter the caliper, hitting the pad first.

Could you please elaborate on this for me? THANKS!
08G8V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #264
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08G8V8 View Post
I've got the gen1 CTS-V calipers on the front of my G8. Now that we have a solution for keeping the ebrake, I'm looking to complete the installation with the gen1 CTS-V calipers on the rear.

Both gen1 and gen2 CTS-V models had the rear calipers mounted on the forward side of the rotor. Both also had the crossover tube on the lower side of the caliper, which based on what Mike said, would be on the LARGER piston.

I'm trying to grasp the design rational of the larger vs smaller pistons, and position relative to the rotor. Is the mounting of the CTS caliper on the "leading edge" of the rotor considered "leading edge" because it is "forward" of the axle, vs the Camaro on the "trailing edge" because it is "aft" of the axle?

I was thinking the "leading edge" of the rotor would be the first portion of the rotor to enter the caliper, hitting the pad first.

Could you please elaborate on this for me? THANKS!
You are correct.

The leading edge is in reference to the rotation of the rotor to the caliper when driving forward. We'll call the smaller Piston #1. When the Caliper is mounted on the front side of the rotor Piston #1 is on top and the cross-over tube on the bottom. To keep the leading edge orientation the same when mounted on the backside of the leading edge Piston #1 is on the bottom. That is why the cross-over tube is moved.

Last edited by JusticePete; 09-08-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Corrected large to small
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #265
08G8V8

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8GT
Quote:
You are correct.

The leading edge is in reference to the rotation of the rotor to the caliper when driving forward. We'll call the smaller Piston #1. When the Caliper is mounted on the front side of the rotor Piston #1 is on top and the cross-over tube on the bottom. To keep the leading edge orientation the same when mounted on the backside of the leading edge Piston #1 is on the bottom. That is why the cross-over tube is moved.

Here is a photo of a drivers side rear CTS-V on the left. As you state, the smaller Piston #1 is on the top of the caliper and the cross-over tube is on the bottom of the caliper. As the rotor goes around forward, it hits Piston #1 first.

You take that same drivers side rear CTS-V caliper and rotate is 180 degrees to mount it on the rear of the axle, the picture on the right, Piston #1 now moves to the bottom of the caliper and the cross-over tube to the top. Rotor rotation remains the same, so as the rotor rotates forward, it still hits Piston #1 first.

This looks like it keeps the leading edge orientation as you stated above. What am I missing here?
Attached Images

Last edited by 08G8V8; 03-20-2013 at 09:53 AM.
08G8V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #266
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08G8V8 View Post
Here is a photo of a drivers side rear CTS-V on the left. As you state, the larger Piston #1 is on the top of the caliper and the cross-over tube is on the bottom of the caliper. As the rotor goes around forward, it hits Piston #1 first.

You take that same drivers side rear CTS-V caliper and rotate is 180 degrees to mount it on the rear of the axle, the picture on the right, Piston #1 now moves to the bottom of the caliper and the cross-over tube to the top. Rotor rotation remains the same, so as the rotor rotates forward, it still hits Piston #1 first.

This looks like it keeps the leading edge orientation as you stated above. What am I missing here?
The bleeder port is on the bottom when the caliper is aft of the axle! You can't bleed it that way....