Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #5433
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by walhan_qtr View Post
LOL no not the camaro. my camaro only makes 470whp needs a LOT more to run 10s. As Clint mentioned, I was talking about my Z06. should be around 620whp n/a when its all done. hopefully it will be enough to run 10s with a 1.6X 60ft or maybe low 1.7s

as far as slipping the clutch, I had no issues slipping the clutch in my Z06 ( many times btw) with 0 issues. it all depends on how much you slip it, clutch fluid, and making sure the clutch cools down between each run. car is at 555wtq, not as much as what you guys are making, but I would guess with a good clutch you should be fine slipping it a little to help getting a smooth launch and a good 60ft. we have slipped the stock clutch in ~560wtq 2010 camaro couple of times ((at sea-level, which is close to what you guys are making here at this elevation)) and it seemed okay (( lol thats not true, the clutch did stick to the floor on the third launch, but it was expected from the stock clutch with 15k miles! and we didnt even let it cool down between each launch)) I know it wasnt a good idea, but since we were getting a new clutch installed we figured why not F*ck this one before throwing it away.

I am sure people at sea-level are slipping the clutch with 600whp cars and aftermarket clutches! I know they do that in vettes with aftermarket clutches and true ~560+wtq cars. you guys are making about 100wtq less than what the dyno is showing, so that puts you around ~630wtq! I dont see why a good clutch wont handle that much tq with a little slip!

I am by no mean an expert on drag racing/ or clutches/ or even cars in general. and all this is just my own personal opinion. I would love to hear what Clint@AIR, Mike@RMCR, and other people who have much more experience with such things on this matter.

GL with your car, hope to meet you guys at the track and learn few things from you all
Pretty simple. The clutch needs to match the torque coming out of the motor. Then choose a clutch that meets the needs of the use. Whether that is street, drag, road course, drifting or a balance between those applications. Clearly Ted and Garth have shown that the ZR1 corvette clutch cant handle their torque numbers. I have been searching high and low and find absolutely no actual true specs on the zr1 clutch other than it is designed to work with 604 lbs or torque. If its like the rest of GM engineered parts if you give it 605 lbs it will probably burn up. So that leaves aftermarket systems. Joe is putting a Spec Stage 2 or 3 monster in his car. I have a Spec Super Twin SS rated and certified at 900 lbs of torque. But you cant expect a racing clutch to be as tame and feel stock on the street. Chatter when attempting to slip em will flat send you to the dentist to get your fillings put back in. When they are engaging they are engaging and you are not going to gently get the power down to the track. Its all going and all at once. at a 3500 rpm launch I am putting down 730 lbs of torque so trying to slip that down to the track just is not going to happen. Don also has a similar acting and certified torque clutch and I will let him post up the specifications on his. But when talking to him he also has the same reaction regarding any attempt to slip the clutch...By the way I ran last year on stock clutch and used the slip method when at 570 lbs of torque and had some great 60 ft times. But the clutch only lasted a couple trips to the track at over stock torque numbers. fluid is very important i agree. I change my clutch resi about every 5 runs. Pump it and change it again. However, the new spec clutch is not putting near the debris and dust into the system that the stock one was doing. Anyway...get your but to the track Saturday and lets see the talk do the walk....and have some fun. Stick shift series races with qualifying starting at 9:30 am
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #5434
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
I can teach you how to run a shi**Y 60 ft time and lose to auto's
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #5435
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
ask kirk how the from the roll worked for him when Brian was driving Harry over poudre canyon....It did not work for him either....even with a 30 mph head start rolling run for him.
In all fairness, I believe I was a bit over powered on that one!!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #5436
Clint@A.I.R.
Account Suspended

Drives: 99' Camaro 404 TT
Another L99 See's AIR Today...

Kooks Headers, Cats, and SLP Cat back installed.
Vararam Intake as well..
Complete with the AIR Tune...

Included is the special Trans Tune,
D = Near Stock
S = HOLD ON !!

Car put down good numbers 351 RWHP 371 RWTQ.

Feels like a Solid high 13 second car to me in the cool weather today.

Congrads Tom !!

Here's the pics...

Clint
Clint@A.I.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #5437
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Honest statement....for now!

Last edited by tom692010; 05-12-2011 at 10:03 PM.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #5438
ud_lose

Drives: '04 Ford F250 6.0L/'69 vette LS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint@A.I.R. View Post
Another L99 See's AIR Today...

Kooks Headers, Cats, and SLP Cat back installed.
Vararam Intake as well..
Complete with the AIR Tune...

Included is the special Trans Tune,
D = Near Stock
S = HOLD ON !!

Car put down good numbers 351 RWHP 371 RWTQ.

Feels like a Solid high 13 second car to me in the cool weather today.

Congrads Tom !!

Here's the pics...

Clint
Damn so headers and cats will only get me 10 more hp and 9 more tq. I'll save up for a cam then.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #5439
ud_lose

Oh and thanks to Clint's awesome tune, I now need new rear tires.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #5440
Scourage
Syntax Error

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Really starting to miss my car now :(
And you guys aren't making it any easier.
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #5441
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Pretty simple. The clutch needs to match the torque coming out of the motor. Then choose a clutch that meets the needs of the use. Whether that is street, drag, road course, drifting or a balance between those applications. Clearly Ted and Garth have shown that the ZR1 corvette clutch cant handle their torque numbers. I have been searching high and low and find absolutely no actual true specs on the zr1 clutch other than it is designed to work with 604 lbs or torque. If its like the rest of GM engineered parts if you give it 605 lbs it will probably burn up. So that leaves aftermarket systems. Joe is putting a Spec Stage 2 or 3 monster in his car. I have a Spec Super Twin SS rated and certified at 900 lbs of torque. But you cant expect a racing clutch to be as tame and feel stock on the street. Chatter when attempting to slip em will flat send you to the dentist to get your fillings put back in. When they are engaging they are engaging and you are not going to gently get the power down to the track. Its all going and all at once. at a 3500 rpm launch I am putting down 730 lbs of torque so trying to slip that down to the track just is not going to happen. Don also has a similar acting and certified torque clutch and I will let him post up the specifications on his. But when talking to him he also has the same reaction regarding any attempt to slip the clutch...By the way I ran last year on stock clutch and used the slip method when at 570 lbs of torque and had some great 60 ft times. But the clutch only lasted a couple trips to the track at over stock torque numbers. fluid is very important i agree. I change my clutch resi about every 5 runs. Pump it and change it again. However, the new spec clutch is not putting near the debris and dust into the system that the stock one was doing. Anyway...get your but to the track Saturday and lets see the talk do the walk....and have some fun. Stick shift series races with qualifying starting at 9:30 am
Larry's right. My dual disk clutch is rated for 800 lbft torque. There's no way you are gonna slip it at all off the line. Unless you want to shake your teeth out. You can when it is cold in the morning, but once it is warm, there's no slipping it. At RMCR today they were pulling the 1000hp build Camaro out of the shop, it has a Spec clutch like Joe's. Mike tried to ease it out, but when the clutch started to engage, it grabbed right now and even chirped the tires. There is no slipping that clutch either. Single disk clutches can be slipped fairly easily, but these high torque dual disk clutches, there's no way.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #5442
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by ud_lose View Post
Oh and thanks to Clint's awesome tune, I now need new rear tires.
Stop thanking Clint it's the friggin wax you have all over your driveway that's doing it.

Back to the Redwings game....
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #5443
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
Any thing in the works for a get together this weekend? I am planning to head up to the Denver area on Saturday to go to a tractor pull test and tune in Keensburg and hit a few trailer places to see what they have for enclosed trailers.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #5444
ud_lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Stop thanking Clint it's the friggin wax you have all over your driveway that's doing it.

Back to the Redwings game....
I posted my reply to that on your Facebook page. Lol
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #5445
walhan_qtr
..[ Z06-QTR ]..

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS RS M6/ 07 C6 Z06
Send a message via MSN to walhan_qtr Send a message via Yahoo to walhan_qtr Send a message via Skype™ to walhan_qtr
Quote:
It does make sense to me. I have never really tried the spec super twin clutch, so not sure how they feel and how hard they engage. it seems like a hard clutch to work with at the track from your description.

I have spec stg2 on my camaro, and have driven the stg3 on a GTO and the stg3+ on another camaro. they seem to be ok, and you can slip the clutch on those. not sure how they will react on the track since the surface and traction is much better than on the streets, but I think they will still be ok. I have the ZR1 clutch on my Z06 and it worked great so far, no issues with slipping the clutch. few guys over at CF had some nice 1.5x 60ft out of those with about the same tq that Garth put here. but I am sure Garth makes more tq at a lower rpms.

sorry wont be able to make it this saterday. i will be in vegas for few days. but starting from next week, I will be available and would like to join you guys in the different events hopefully.
- 10 Black Camaro LS3, 2SS/RS, H/C/I, bolt-ons, Spec. (470whp/450wtq).
- 07 Black Corvette C6(SOLD).
- 98 White/Red Corvette C5(SOLD).

walhan_qtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #5446
walhan_qtr
..[ Z06-QTR ]..

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS RS M6/ 07 C6 Z06
Send a message via MSN to walhan_qtr Send a message via Yahoo to walhan_qtr Send a message via Skype™ to walhan_qtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Larry's right. My dual disk clutch is rated for 800 lbft torque. There's no way you are gonna slip it at all off the line. Unless you want to shake your teeth out. You can when it is cold in the morning, but once it is warm, there's no slipping it. At RMCR today they were pulling the 1000hp build Camaro out of the shop, it has a Spec clutch like Joe's. Mike tried to ease it out, but when the clutch started to engage, it grabbed right now and even chirped the tires. There is no slipping that clutch either. Single disk clutches can be slipped fairly easily, but these high torque dual disk clutches, there's no way.
wow it looks like those clutches are not as easy to deal with as i thought. makes me glad i have the ZR1 clutch... this thing feels like stock and perform very well thanks for the info guys. I learned something new. I wasnt aware of the issues and how hard those clutches are!!!
- 10 Black Camaro LS3, 2SS/RS, H/C/I, bolt-ons, Spec. (470whp/450wtq).
- 07 Black Corvette C6(SOLD).
- 98 White/Red Corvette C5(SOLD).

walhan_qtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 callaway, 45th anniversary, colorado camaro