Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
shaunixlol

Drives: No car yet.
My First Car

I'm a 19 year old from Southern California who will be hopefully buying a 2012 Camaro 1LT RS or 2LT RS before summer of 2012. I do not have a job, but I do run a website in which I make a decent amount. By then, if all works as planned, I'll have around $4,000 in cash for my downpayment and my parents plan on doubling whatever amount I get. I'll also pay for the monthly in hopes my parents won't have to spend a dime on me. No, I'm not spoiled. I've work really hard in academics since high school, and now, college.

I'm really decided on the car. A month ago, we checked the dealership and found a nice Camaro 1LT RS for about $29,750 including remote start and Boston Acoustics.

In buying a car, what should I look out for? What kind of dealer should I go to? How high will be my insurance rate even though I'll be under my parents insurance. How much should I be looking for? What type of deal will be a good one as for price. Mind you, this will be my first ever car.

I would like to have well thought advice for my first ever purchase. Thank you!
shaunixlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Go to a GM dealer, not a mom & pops place. Insurance is one of those deals that no one but an agent can give you ideas about. A certified car is always nice too, if it's out of warranty. Just go over it really well and check all the little details. Make sure stuff fits together right. Get a carfax. Look at the tires. Try to get them as new as you can, they're EXPENSIVE to replace. Don't start off with bald tires.
If you know any other Camaro fanatics, take them with you.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
shaunixlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0diggity View Post
Go to a GM dealer, not a mom & pops place. Insurance is one of those deals that no one but an agent can give you ideas about. A certified car is always nice too, if it's out of warranty. Just go over it really well and check all the little details. Make sure stuff fits together right. Get a carfax. Look at the tires. Try to get them as new as you can, they're EXPENSIVE to replace. Don't start off with bald tires.
If you know any other Camaro fanatics, take them with you.
For sure, I'l look up certified dealers. I'm looking for a brand new. I also know that there should be a Credit Union discount, which my mom is part of.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Go through Costco. They work directly with the fleet department so you don't have to wheel and deal. Call a bunch of insurance companies and ask for quotes or ask your parents to find out how much it would cost to add you to their policy. Easy as pie.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Get a few internet quotes before trying to negotiate with a dealer. A lot of times the salesman on the floor in person tell you how hot the car is and they are selling for sticker or $500 off. You should be able to get at least $1500 off sticker just by getting some internet quotes.
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
shaunixlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Go through Costco. They work directly with the fleet department so you don't have to wheel and deal. Call a bunch of insurance companies and ask for quotes or ask your parents to find out how much it would cost to add you to their policy. Easy as pie.
My parents talked about going to Costco when buying. I will. I'll ask them as soon as I'm home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
Get a few internet quotes before trying to negotiate with a dealer. A lot of times the salesman on the floor in person tell you how hot the car is and they are selling for sticker or $500 off. You should be able to get at least $1500 off sticker just by getting some internet quotes.
Are those quotes usually free? Yeah, when I checked the dealership, he said people don't really ask for discounts as it is a hot car. Of course, I called bull.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
29 for a 1LT RS? I swear a 2LT/RS is that price for you guys?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
DEFINITELY buy from a GM dealer - a new vehicle over used, if you can afford it. New will probably be more expensive to insure than used, but used may have "hidden problems". "New" also gets you a new car warranty.

DEFINITELY compare the differences between a 1LT and a 2LT. KNOW what you're potentially getting / not getting in each vehicle BEFORE you walk onto the lot. You can even start doing some "test drives" now. A "test drive" doesn't commit you to having to buy. Why wait?

CHECK with your insurance company now about what your rate might be. That might change within the forthcoming year, but at least you'll have a clue as to what it might cost you and whether you'll be able / want to afford that rate.

CHECK the GM site for the different types of discount programs they have. They have credit union membership discounts, new college grad / 1st new vehicle discounts (if you have graduated within the past 2 years when you purchase), military discounts, etc.

IF your parents are affiliated with the military, Coast Guard or U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (and maybe even NOAA?), check with USAA insurance if you can get a membership (if you're not already a member). GM offers USAA members discounts on certain vehicles (you don't need to be in the military yourself) but some dealers don't necessarily participate in these programs. Check with each dealer specific to what discounts they offer for memberships / affiliation with certain groups.

IF you have a family member / friend who works for / with GM or one of its suppliers, you might potentially qualify for GM employee / supplier pricing.

There are also other resources which you might avail yourself of such as "pre-negotiated pricing" through other companies such as United Buying Service, et al.

MAYBE wait until the end of the 2012 model year in trying to get a better price with GM / dealer "cash back" offers and other discounts. I've also included 3 pdf's with the 2012 price guides which I got from this site. You'll need to increase the size when you view them but they'll provide the prices from which you should "negotiate up from", not "down to".

DO shop around. Don't get stuck on believing you need to buy from a Chevy dealer because he's closer to your residence. Regardless of where you purchased your Chevy, your preferred dealer can service and will (MUST) honor your warranty. If you can't get a good deal from the Chevy dealer down the street, go to another one. That's what I did and received 5K more for my trade-ins and a better price on the purchase of a new convertible (USAA discount helped).

Don't rule out a Manual 6 sp. transmission. For those of us who have them, they're more fun to drive and put the "sport" in "sports car" (I won't even get into the "purist" mindset), but, they are ever so slightly less fuel efficient (at least on the MY 10 & 11 engines). Then again, if you're going to be sitting in a lot of traffic, an auto tranny may be your best bet. Don't know how to drive a manual? Learn. That's what life is about.

Now you have the tools to "arm yourself with enough of the right information" to cut yourself a good deal on a killer Camaro!

"Research. Research. Research." You'll be happy to have started doing your "leg work" early.

Good luck and let us know how you're progressing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CamaroPrices_1.pdf (380.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: pdf CamaroPrices_2.pdf (343.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: pdf CamaroPrices_3.pdf (252.0 KB, 148 views)
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 09-27-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
shaunixlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
29 for a 1LT RS? I swear a 2LT/RS is that price for you guys?
For sticker price, that was it's asking price. It's insanely high. Also, it's an automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
DEFINITELY buy from a GM dealer - a new vehicle over used, if you can afford it. New will probably be more expensive to insure than used, but used may have "hidden problems". "New" also gets you a new car warranty.

DEFINITELY compare the differences between a 1LT and a 2LT. KNOW what you're potentially getting / not getting in each vehicle BEFORE you walk onto the lot. You can even start doing some "test drives" now. A "test drive" doesn't commit you to having to buy. Why wait?

CHECK with your insurance company now about what your rate might be. That might change within the forthcoming year, but at least you'll have a clue as to what it might cost you and whether you'll be able / want to afford that rate.

CHECK the GM site for the different types of discount programs they have. They have credit union membership discounts, new college grad / 1st new vehicle discounts (if you have graduated within the past 2 years when you purchase), military discounts, etc.

IF your parents are affiliated with the military, Coast Guard or U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (and maybe even NOAA?), check with USAA insurance if you can get a membership (if you're not already a member). GM offers USAA members discounts on their vehicles (you don't need to be in the military yourself).

IF you have a family member / friend who works for / with GM or one of its suppliers, you might potentially qualify for GM employee / supplier pricing.

There are also other resources which you might avail yourself of such as "pre-negotiated pricing" through other companies such as United Buying Service, et al.

I've also included 3 pdf's with the 2012 price guides which I got from this site. You'll need to increase the size when you view them but they'll provide the prices from which you should "negotiate up from", not "down to".

Consider a Manual 6 sp. transmission. For those of us who have them they're more fun to drive (I won't get into the "purist" mindset) but ever so slightly less fuel efficient (at least on the MY 10 & 11 engines). Then again, if you're going to be sitting in a lot of traffic, an auto tranny may be your best bet.

"Research. Research. Research." You'll be happy to have started doing your "leg work" early and be "armed with enough of the right information" to cut yourself a good deal on a killer Camaro!

Good luck and let us know how you're progressing.
Wow, thank you so much! I'm close to my down. I really want everything to go smoothly so I've been doing as much research as I can, but obviously, some websites are not to be trusted due to some bias. I'm glad I found this site. I do have a cousin who's a Marine, but I doubt that would work. Lastly, I plan on getting an automatic since California has wonderful traffic.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
tnkrup

Drives: '12 VR Camaro 2LT/RS
According to those three PDF files, what is the dealer price? Is it the price the dealer pays for the car?
tnkrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Definitely go through Costco. I was able to get my 2012 45th 2SS Vert through Costco for a VERY good price! I would have never been able to haggle down to the price I got it for.
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunixlol View Post
For sticker price, that was it's asking price. It's insanely high. Also, it's an automatic.

Wow, thank you so much! I'm close to my down. I really want everything to go smoothly so I've been doing as much research as I can, but obviously, some websites are not to be trusted due to some bias. I'm glad I found this site. I do have a cousin who's a Marine, but I doubt that would work. Lastly, I plan on getting an automatic since California has wonderful traffic.
You're welcome! I doubt your Cousin would qualify you for USAA but you can always check their site. As mentioned, there are also a lot of other discounts available. Explore them through your bank / credit union, check with your preferred dealer and maybe even contact Becky Doyle with Rodgers Chevrolet in Michigan. Becky apparently enjoys a stellar reputation among those forum members here who have dealt with and even purchased through her. Don't let the distance between CA and MI dissuade you from exploring every avenue that may net you a better deal. Cash is a hard thing to come by. Use it wisely.
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 09-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
shaunixlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
You're welcome! I doubt your Cousin would qualify you for USAA but you can always check their site. As mentioned, there are also a lot of other discounts available. Explore them through your bank / credit union, check with your preferred dealer and maybe even contact Becky Doyle with Rodger Chevrolet in Michigan. Becky apparently enjoys a stellar reputation among those forum members here who have dealt with and even purchased through her. Don't let the distance between CA and MI dissuade you from exploring every avenue that may net you a better deal. Cash is a hard thing to come by. Use it wisely.
Most definitely. When I have the proper amount, I'll contact her first and then go to Costco. I really want a good deal! Haha.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrup View Post
According to those three PDF files, what is the dealer price? Is it the price the dealer pays for the car?
On attachment #1 in the previous post above, you can identify the "List" price being identical to the MSRP. DO NOT pay MSRP unless you've been to a few dealers and they won't sell to you for under.

Instead, use the "Dealer Price" or "Dealer Invoice Price" and negotiate UP from those prices, rather than the customary "DOWN" from MSRP (the way I've understood the process). I don't believe a dealer will come right out and sell a car at the price he paid for it (Dealer Price) but that's a good starting point for anyone to begin their in-person, face-to-face purchase negotiation(s).

There are many, many other folks here who understand this process much better than I could ever hope to, who may shed more clarity / transparency on the process.

In the old days, a dealer MIGHT have showed you their invoice if you pulled a gun on him and IF he felt like it that day.
3 Pedals