Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
mrWizard

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
TSP Header install question

I'm planning on ordering TSP 1 7/8" LT headers and I don't have access to a lift. The DIY I had read say you should lift the car 2 feet off the ground for installation underneath the car. I'm wondering if there is any issue with dropping the headers in from up top? Also, any steering column issues with it being in the way?

And on the rare chance anyone knows a reputable place to get my car tuned in South Jersey, let me know.

Thanks.
mrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
dswells11

Drives: 2011 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWizard View Post
I'm planning on ordering TSP 1 7/8" LT headers and I don't have access to a lift. The DIY I had read say you should lift the car 2 feet off the ground for installation underneath the car. I'm wondering if there is any issue with dropping the headers in from up top? Also, any steering column issues with it being in the way?

And on the rare chance anyone knows a reputable place to get my car tuned in South Jersey, let me know.

Thanks.
I did mine with jack stands this past weekend. Didn't have any issues with putting the header up from the bottom... they won't go in from the top...

You might wanna check the steering shaft knuckle after you put the drivers side on before you tighten everything down. As my self and others have had an issue where the one primary touches. Mine is only touching during right hand turns. I have also seen where they touch on the passenger side frame.

The fix is to either dimple the header or try to move the engine over... I am going to dimple mine this weekend...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
mrWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswells11 View Post
I did mine with jack stands this past weekend. Didn't have any issues with putting the header up from the bottom... they won't go in from the top...

You might wanna check the steering shaft knuckle after you put the drivers side on before you tighten everything down. As my self and others have had an issue where the one primary touches. Mine is only touching during right hand turns. I have also seen where they touch on the passenger side frame.

The fix is to either dimple the header or try to move the engine over... I am going to dimple mine this weekend...
Damn, I read these mostly fit very well. But I guess it's hit or miss. Any other small issues or frustrations for installing these?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:

Thanks.
Two feet is higher than you need to be, I think I raised mind between 16 - 18 inches and there was more than enough room.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
dswells11

Drives: 2011 1SS LS3
Quote:
Damn, I read these mostly fit very well. But I guess it's hit or miss. Any other small issues or frustrations for installing these?
its not the TSP headers that have fitment issues... its pretty much where the engine is sitting in the car. I've seen plenty of other brands that have ran into the same issue.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
mrWizard

Also, I called my dealer to ask about how the warranty would be effected with installing the headers and having the car tuned. They said the headers will not void the powertrain warranty. They also said that I can tune the car, as long as what I am changing doesn't cause anything to break. So I'm thinking I can tune out the O2 sensor issue and ONLY that. Then, say I snap my output shaft, it would still be under warranty, because tuning for O2 sensors would not cause that to fail. Would I be correct in this assumption?

And this is my daily driver. I don't do any serious racing (I've had the car 2 years and haven't even been the the track yet), just some red light launches and going fast on the highway, occasionally. Do you guys think I would have any serious issues with other parts or issues with the car from installing headers and getting a tune?

Last edited by mrWizard; 08-08-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Also, I called my dealer to ask about how the warranty would be effected with installing the headers and having the car tuned. They said the headers will not void the powertrain warranty. They also said that I can tune the car, as long as what I am changing doesn't cause anything to break. So I'm thinking I can tune out the O2 sensor issue and ONLY that. Then, say I snap my output shaft, it would still be under warranty, because tuning for O2 sensors would not cause that to fail. Would I be correct in this assumption?

And this is my daily driver. I don't do any serious racing (I've had the car 2 years and haven't even been the the track yet), just some red light launches and going fast on the highway, occasionally. Do you guys think I would have any serious issues with other parts or issues with the car from installing headers and getting a tune?

If you have any drivetrain issues after a tune, they will likely lay the blame on it and not cover it. For non-drivetrain issues, warranty wouldn't be impacted (i.e. air conditioner, HUD, radio, etc).

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
tlwarren08

Drives: Camaro SS
I did it just fine on jack stands(6ton all the store had), just take the connector pipes and clamp it in to hold it until you can get back up top to place the gasket an some bolts or get a 2nd set of hands
tlwarren08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
ihada69L78

Drives: 2023 Silverado LTZ, 2022 Camaro 2SS
I have no idea what 2' is?? When I installed Kooks on my 2011, the distance from the floor to the wheel well was 42". I would suggest this as a starting height. You might need to go a little higher with a different brand. I also had the rear tires sitting on 3 2'x12"x12" boards for more working room under the car.
I will never put headers on another Camaro. High flow cats give about half the horsepower of headers while helping the exhaust sound, no tune is required, and you DON'T void your warranty.

Currenent rides:
2020 SW ZL1 A10
2019 SW 2SS A10
2017 SW Silverado LTZ
ihada69L78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
mrWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihada69L78 View Post
I have no idea what 2' is?? When I installed Kooks on my 2011, the distance from the floor to the wheel well was 42". I would suggest this as a starting height. You might need to go a little higher with a different brand. I also had the rear tires sitting on 3 2'x12"x12" boards for more working room under the car.
I will never put headers on another Camaro. High flow cats give about half the horsepower of headers while helping the exhaust sound, no tune is required, and you DON'T void your warranty.
Getting the back tires up too is a good idea. But I would need a tune to fix the CEL generated by the O2 sensors or I won't pass inspection. I might get a handheld tuner to clear the codes every once and a while, but would that still be seen by GM?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
I guess I'm a little more of a risk taker, all I used was a jack and had a jack stand under the car just in case! This car is the easiet car to put headers on I had air tools and from start to finish took me a little over an 1.5 hours. Don't get caught up in all the hype of you have to have a lift or you need to raise the car 3ft in the air! The longest part was getting the dipstick back in! Its really a very simple job. I had kooks and they fit like a glove no dimpling or anything like that.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Don't believe they can be dropped in from the top. As stated 16-18" is all you need from the floor to the bottom of the rocker panel. Plenty of height. I raised the front & back and used jack stands. Also left the jacks in place just in case. Had a few old rims and tires that I slid under, 1 on each side near the doors. I needed to lift the entire vehicle for the exhaust that was installed.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Getting the back tires up too is a good idea. But I would need a tune to fix the CEL generated by the O2 sensors or I won't pass inspection. I might get a handheld tuner to clear the codes every once and a while, but would that still be seen by GM?
Can't speak for your state, but a buddy of mine here in Texas was getting a code on his jeep and decided to clear it. Inspection place was able to see he recently cleared codes. Someone told him that they could tell if the codes had been reset within the last x amount of miles (100 I think).

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #14
jbassking

Drives: 2012 SS
I know this thread is old but I tried installing the left header - TSP long tube - 2" and it won't go past the knuckle in my 2012. Does the knuckle have to be loosened to fit it and then tighten it back up or is this a real issue?
jbassking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, headers, install