Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
jjanders0

Drives: Imperial Blue LS
Ok...I'm bored with it already.

Actually, I'm only bored with the black Heritage steel wheels on my LS and I'm looking to swap them for something more aggressive. I only have a few issues which are more like points of indecision and was wondering what every thinks would be he best option.

1.) The salesperson I bough my LS from said that GM has a deal where someone like me can by the 20" wheels that are stock on the SS at a pretty good savings. This happens when someone orders and SS with 21" wheels. The 20's are removed and sold to someone like me. Does anyone have any experience with this deal?

2.) Though I really wouldn't mind having the factory 20's, I'm trying to make the wheel switch as cheaply as possible. That would mean only changing out my current black steel rims for some 18's that are a bit flashier. Would my current tires work on new 18" rims?

3. Splitting the difference - Once again, as cheaply as possible, going to 19" wheels. I'm thinking this would be the best compromise between comfort and performance but can I buy factory 19 inch wheels through the dealer (tires and rims)?

Thanks!
jjanders0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Um, on your first point - your dealer is ripping off the person that bought the 21" wheels. They should look at the window sticker...they are being charged for both the 20" and 21" wheels and should be getting both. If the dealer is keeping the 20's for resale without compensating the buyer, then they are ripping off their customers.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
If you want to maintain a low maintenance cost for your tires, I'd go with option number 3. If you do get the 20s from an SS or RS model, the front and back tires are different sizes, so you can't rotate them. This means you'll be getting maybe 12,000 miles or so TOPS on your tires. Also, if you haven't heard of this site I highly recommend checking it out, nice looking rims that won't break the wallet:

www.tirerack.com
Old 04-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Um, on your first point - your dealer is ripping off the person that bought the 21" wheels. They should look at the window sticker...they are being charged for both the 20" and 21" wheels and should be getting both. If the dealer is keeping the 20's for resale, then they are ripping off their customers.
I think you may have misread his post, his dealer said that he may be able to buy the 20s FROM one of those customers, not from the dealer.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanders0 View Post
Actually, I'm only bored with the black Heritage steel wheels on my LS and I'm looking to swap them for something more aggressive. I only have a few issues which are more like points of indecision and was wondering what every thinks would be he best option.

1.) The salesperson I bough my LS from said that GM has a deal where someone like me can by the 20" wheels that are stock on the SS at a pretty good savings. This happens when someone orders and SS with 21" wheels. The 20's are removed and sold to someone like me. Does anyone have any experience with this deal?

2.) Though I really wouldn't mind having the factory 20's, I'm trying to make the wheel switch as cheaply as possible. That would mean only changing out my current black steel rims for some 18's that are a bit flashier. Would my current tires work on new 18" rims?

3. Splitting the difference - Once again, as cheaply as possible, going to 19" wheels. I'm thinking this would be the best compromise between comfort and performance but can I buy factory 19 inch wheels through the dealer (tires and rims)?

Thanks!
1. If your dealer is the one that has them, they either bought them from the customer or stole them.

2. If you buy rims that fit. Yes.

3. Yes, you can. But why?

Buy a set of take off 20s from someone. You can get them for better than any cost you'll find anywhere else. Unless you just want to go completely different.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
I think you may have misread his post, his dealer said that he may be able to buy the 20s FROM one of those customers, not from the dealer.
He didn't say anything about getting them directly from a customer.

Quote:
...1.) The salesperson I bough my LS from said that GM has a deal where someone like me can by the 20" wheels that are stock on the SS at a pretty good savings. This happens when someone orders and SS with 21" wheels. The 20's are removed and sold to someone like me. Does anyone have any experience with this deal?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
If you want to maintain a low maintenance cost for your tires, I'd go with option number 3. If you do get the 20s from an SS or RS model, the front and back tires are different sizes, so you can't rotate them. This means you'll be getting maybe 12,000 miles or so TOPS on your tires. Also, if you haven't heard of this site I highly recommend checking it out, nice looking rims that won't break the wallet:

www.tirerack.com
12,000 miles?

A. He's in the V6
B. That's not really true. Mine have an EASY 5k miles left on them and I have 18k on them now.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
jjanders0

Drives: Imperial Blue LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Um, on your first point - your dealer is ripping off the person that bought the 21" wheels. They should look at the window sticker...they are being charged for both the 20" and 21" wheels and should be getting both. If the dealer is keeping the 20's for resale without compensating the buyer, then they are ripping off their customers.
I guess I should clarify. The way I understood it is that the price of the 20's is deducted from the overall price. The price of the 21's is then added back to the overall price. This can only happen with the SS's that come from the factory I guess. Somehow the dealer would be able to purchase a set of these 20's from the factory at a significant discount and then pass some of that on to me.

That's the way I understood it. And this was my second time starting this thread and in the first attempt, I did mention that this could only happen with SS's from the factory and pricing would be adjusted accordingly.
jjanders0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I guess I should clarify. The way I understood it is that the price of the 20's is deducted from the overall price. The price of the 21's is then added back to the overall price. This can only happen with the SS's that come from the factory I guess. Somehow the dealer would be able to purchase a set of these 20's from the factory at a significant discount and then pass some of that on to me.

That's the way I understood it.
Unless something has drastically changed, not a chance.

GM doesn't want all those extra sets of wheels in inventory. Nope. The customer takes them, or the dealer buys or steals them from the customer.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
12,000 miles?

A. He's in the V6
B. That's not really true. Mine have an EASY 5k miles left on them and I have 18k on them now.

hm, so I might have been mistaken there. Either way though, the tires aren't going to last as long if you can't rotate them.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
hm, so I might have been mistaken there. Either way though, the tires aren't going to last as long if you can't rotate them.

No they aren't. A balanced set up is definately the way to go if you are in need of saving money.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Unless something has drastically changed, not a chance.

GM doesn't want all those extra sets of wheels in inventory. Nope. The customer takes them, or the dealer buys or steals them from the customer.
Ask around the forums here too, members sometimes post these up for sale.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Ask around the forums here too, members sometimes post these up for sale.
Yup. That's what he needs to do. I sold my MS 20s with 2 miles on them. Rims, and Tires for 1000.00
Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Brokinarrow

^ Good deal right there