Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #43
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's play with the numbers a little more. Rather than using deduction, as I used as a source of logic for the previous post, let's use some other logical paths of reason.

In the previous post, I assumed that a supercharger kit would cost $5,000. That seems a little low anyway, so I'm bumping my figure to $6,500. I would pay a maximum of this amount, so this is feasible to me if the kit is worthy, from a name brand, and offers some sort of backing by the manufacturer.

If only 10 people order the kit, it earns $65,000 in revenue. Does that seem like a fair number? My recommendation would be to release the product and have a group buy 8 months later with a discount of $500 to keep sales going. Obviously, the manufacturer will mark up the kit enough to still profit at this point. With aggressive advertising, this could be the forced induction kit for the V6 Camaro. In this thread alone, 9 members indicated a specific interest in superchargers and 6 members indicated either an interest in turbochargers or an interest in considering this as an option. This does not consider the people who have viewed the thread but are not posting in it. In other words, 9 people are sure supercharger sales to somebody, and 6 people are likely sales to somebody. I see those 5 people as on the fence. These are prospects waiting to be sold somewhere, and they will be sold somewhere.

Let's light a fire under someone and make something happen. I understand that this computer is hard to crack, so let's put this in another light. More time spent on cracking it is more money in R&D. If someone beats you to the kit, all 15 sales could go to the person who beat you, meaning that you might be waiting a while to recoup your investment.

If it helps any, I'll be happy to contribute my car as the Camaro LS supercharged or turbocharged show car to whomever gets to the finish line first.
I agree with what you are saying Blur, but I don't think I'm holding my breath for any of these companies to do anything for us. I just think they don't really care about the V6 segment. They already have the sales of the SS and just don't care to take the time. I mean this car has been out for over a year and I have yet to see any company offering anything other than STS which did a semi-flop due to poor numbers at C5 fest. We have tuning available in the way of Trifecta performance and I have found a company that is willing to try to work something out using a reversed cycled Vortech supercharger that is working on similiar engines.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #44
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
I agree with what you are saying Blur, but I don't think I'm holding my breath for any of these companies to do anything for us. I just think they don't really care about the V6 segment. They already have the sales of the SS and just don't care to take the time. I mean this car has been out for over a year and I have yet to see any company offering anything other than STS which did a semi-flop due to poor numbers at C5 fest. We have tuning available in the way of Trifecta performance and I have found a company that is willing to try to work something out using a reversed cycled Vortech supercharger that is working on similiar engines.
We need to keep grinding these guys. If we give up, then the kits that do eventually come out will cost more due to the perceived low demand. We need to make aware to these companies that our demand for this product is very high.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #45
Abygale

Drives: .

The demand is high (Lingenfelter had 100 people on their interested parties list) what is low is our patience.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #46
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Get to work.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #47
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Drives: 2013 Ashen Grey 2SS/RS M6
if there is a tune, why cant people get custom turbo kits? and is gm really making a twin turbo for v6's?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #48
Agent Atomic Orange

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
Show me 5000 and we will make your supercharger. FYI Magnuson is the Aftermarket arm of EATON. EATON will not look at anything less than 10,000 units.
I would think the LLT would be the perfect engine to develop a supercharger for. Chevy has sold 50+k units of this engine in the Camaro in just the first year. This engine is used in the Cadillac, which has sold like wildfire. Plus GM is talking about using this engine in other products. It seems like the same product could be applied into many different vehicles. Giving you a very large market for what would be the same product. How many other times does that happen? This is a no brainer. Go for it!!

Airaid CAI (V2 Tube)/ Flowmaster American Thunder/ Barton Shifter Kit/ Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars/ Hotchkis Sport Springs/ AAC Lights/ GM Trim Kit/ Tint/ Pioneer Premier Champion Series Sub/ Pioneer 1500 Watt Amp
Agent Atomic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #49
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
supercharger over turbo. If (when) a well designed unit is announced I would def. buy it.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #50
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
I wouldn't do this in the first 3 years, but after that all bets are off. If it was reliable and didn't blow up motors, I'd probably be interested. I still don't get why a kit like this costs $5k though. Does that have any relation to cost of materials and manufacturing or is it just what people are used to paying?
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #51
Jericho
Come see me.

Drives: Chevrolet Line-up
Send a message via Yahoo to Jericho
I know I personally want one bad, roots style. I'd prefer at least 50% power increase myself for $5k which I think would really attract more buyers. However, give me reliability and power then I'd really consider paying closer to $6.5k. So, please don't dissapoint. It's like Abygale said, we've had promisses before.
Vin#30271
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #52
littleman54321

Drives: Something
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
I wouldn't do this in the first 3 years, but after that all bets are off. If it was reliable and didn't blow up motors, I'd probably be interested. I still don't get why a kit like this costs $5k though. Does that have any relation to cost of materials and manufacturing or is it just what people are used to paying?

You have to remember, these companies invest a lot of time and money into making the kit. They have to tie up a lot of their money BEFORE they can ever sell anything. They have to spend a lot of time testing every possible...well, possibility. Tuning, tweaking, blowing engines...all of this so that we the consumers won't have to go through any of that. The price tag of their system will reflect that. After a few years it will likely drop a little due to their return on investment.

Coming from the import side of things, though, 5grand seems like a normal figure for an FI kit that has been tested and put to market by a reliable company. Not that surprised the number is pretty close to the same for domestic cars. Is that the right term ? I've been driving imports too long!
littleman54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #53
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman54321 View Post
You have to remember, these companies invest a lot of time and money into making the kit. They have to tie up a lot of their money BEFORE they can ever sell anything. They have to spend a lot of time testing every possible...well, possibility. Tuning, tweaking, blowing engines...all of this so that we the consumers won't have to go through any of that. The price tag of their system will reflect that. After a few years it will likely drop a little due to their return on investment.

Coming from the import side of things, though, 5grand seems like a normal figure for an FI kit that has been tested and put to market by a reliable company. Not that surprised the number is pretty close to the same for domestic cars. Is that the right term ? I've been driving imports too long!
It is good to have you on our side. You are using the right diction. We are domestic here.

As someone with an import background, you're familiar with the Supra, a car that has a history of being feared on the streets. The final generation of that car had a tendency to see modifications the would make them dangerous to our Camaros today. I just did a search using Google for "Supra aftermarket parts." Immediately, I found this, this, and this. The first 3 results all offer Supra forced induction kits. Keep in mind that the Supra went out of production at the same time as the fourth generation Camaro. For these products to still be available indicates that these kits are profitable. This is yet another argument for forced induction on a V6 Camaro. We have similar horsepower numbers to start with the LLT motor. While the engineering is different, the idea of building products in this performance range has been around for a while. The Supra benefitted from a culture of purchasing cheap cars and making them fast. The V6 Camaro is the accessible Camaro for those of us without enough down payment, credit history, or income to finance a V8 Camaro. For many of us, the V6 Camaro was a choice. Now that we have made our choice, we want companies to make the choice to support us. Help us stay ahead of imports who don't belong in this car class. Build us a supercharger kit.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #54
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
It is good to have you on our side. You are using the right diction. We are domestic here.

As someone with an import background, you're familiar with the Supra, a car that has a history of being feared on the streets. The final generation of that car had a tendency to see modifications the would make them dangerous to our Camaros today. I just did a search using Google for "Supra aftermarket parts." Immediately, I found this, this, and this. The first 3 results all offer Supra forced induction kits. Keep in mind that the Supra went out of production at the same time as the fourth generation Camaro. For these products to still be available indicates that these kits are profitable. This is yet another argument for forced induction on a V6 Camaro. We have similar horsepower numbers to start with the LLT motor. While the engineering is different, the idea of building products in this performance range has been around for a while. The Supra benefitted from a culture of purchasing cheap cars and making them fast. The V6 Camaro is the accessible Camaro for those of us without enough down payment, credit history, or income to finance a V8 Camaro. For many of us, the V6 Camaro was a choice. Now that we have made our choice, we want companies to make the choice to support us. Help us stay ahead of imports who don't belong in this car class. Build us a supercharger kit.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #55
Jericho
Come see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven Morehead View Post
if there is a tune, why cant people get custom turbo kits? and is gm really making a twin turbo for v6's?
A custome turbo still requires exstnsive support. An if GM does do a twin it will be a limited edition offer like there Synergy Green. An I don't think they'll beef up the power to take down a V8 Camaro either since there the manufacturer.

I keep saying 5k because that's a number that a lot of people can bite on to right now and probably for the next couple years. The manufacturer will make money an we get a good product.

This will be the first serious product for a vehicle that has changed the V6 market all the way around. The mustank was the first to follow, others will definitly follow. An the first manufacturer to do it will be the king of the segment, because the camaro isn't going anywhere except into more homes.

Blur is right though, we will need to grow interest an prove that there are many who want this by voicing our support. So, put your bit in an let's do this thing.
Vin#30271
Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #56
Jericho
Come see me.

What happened? I go to Indiana for an intense two month training class for Afghanistan and no one says anything on here at all. Some dedication. This is why we wont get a SC for the V6 anytime soon.
Vin#30271