Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
IPS twin turbos

Had a part missing because of the confusion of it being a brand new kit. I will pick it up at 9:00 in the morning. Going to have to take a saw to a socket to get a couple of lines tight that I feel should be installed already. I would have given an extra hundred bucks if the turbos were already clocked and all lines and fittings already installed. The coolant line on the passenger side is a bitch and is at least an inch short. I broke it trying to tighten it this afternoon. I will have Springfield Brake make me a new one a bit longer in the morning. All of the wires on the oil pump relay should be 6" longer to allow for a decent place to locate them. The pipe coming out of the intercooler on the passenger side is rubbing metal no mater how I try to adjust it. I just slipped some rubber under where I thought it would be an issue so there would be no long term damage to the pipe.

Overall, IPS has been excellent in service. They always answer questions and fix problems right away. All of the products included in the kit are top notch quality. I'm very impressed with the work they put in on development of the kit. I'm sure the small kinks are due to install error or will be addressed in the next run. It is impressive that I am probably the first guy to do this and ran into very few problems.
Everything is bagged and tagged nicely.

They are taking input from us first few as far as the instructions go. A little head scratching here and there, but pretty good for the first run on a book.

I will start the car by early afternoon Thursday and I have the dyno rented for Friday weather permitting.

This is not a jack stand friendly job. You need a lift.

I will post results as soon as I can.

I want to make sure that nobody get the idea that I am being negative in any way whatsoever towards IPS. There are 41 pages of instructions and there are bound to be a few small issues.

I also hated the fact that Chevy makes you pull the motor to remove the oil pan. I cut the crossmember out and made it bolt in. I should sell it. It looks that good. lol

Thanks IPS.

Last edited by Huck1974; 03-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Congrats on the install. Awaiting pictures. =)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Excellent write up,good to see that I'm not the only one not perfect.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Excellent write up,good to see that I'm not the only one not perfect.
Your fuel system was kinda a pain in the ass too.

Really though, thanks for the nice system. I was amazed the car fired right up after messing with that many wires. Wiring is not my strong point.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
Had a part missing because of the confusion of it being a brand new kit. I will pick it up at 9:00 in the morning. Going to have to take a saw to a socket to get a couple of lines tight that I feel should be installed already. I would have given an extra hundred bucks if the turbos were already clocked and all lines and fittings already installed. The coolant line on the passenger side is a bitch and is at least an inch short. I broke it trying to tighten it this afternoon. I will have Springfield Brake make me a new one a bit longer in the morning. All of the wires on the oil pump relay should be 6" longer to allow for a decent place to locate them. The pipe coming out of the intercooler on the passenger side is rubbing metal no mater how I try to adjust it. I just slipped some rubber under where I thought it would be an issue so there would be no long term damage to the pipe.
Thanks for the write-up Shane

I figured I would just address the 3 issues you ran into quick.

1. We did not pre-clock the turbos / install the feed & return / and assemble the "Pods" due to concerns with exact fitment on every single car out there. With detailed instructions we felt it would be better to give the buyer/shop the ability to make any necessary adjustments while installing everything. We can certainly "Pre-package" everything for the DIYer's so thanks for bringing it up.

2. The passenger coolant line is not the easiest thing to install but we have not run into any length issues on all the installs done here thus far. I will keep an ear out as others install kits to see if we will need to make any adjustments there.

3. That IC pipe is 3" and has quite a few bends so it is a very tight fit for sure. That is why it is one of the pipes we added a stand-off and bracket to make sure it can't move around and potentially cause any sort of noise or vibration.

Here is a pic of that tube w/stand-off for reference:

Thanks again for the feed-back and I look forward to hearing how the car does on the dyno
Jeff
IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
IPSjeff

Quote:
Overall, IPS has been excellent in service. They always answer questions and fix problems right away. All of the products included in the kit are top notch quality. I'm very impressed with the work they put in on development of the kit. I'm sure the small kinks are due to install error or will be addressed in the next run. It is impressive that I am probably the first guy to do this and ran into very few problems.
Everything is bagged and tagged nicely.
Thanks! Nothing as complex as a turbo kit ever goes 100% smooth right out of the gate but we are here to take care of any and all issues right away. My apologies for the missing feed lines but glad you got them quickly and are back up and running
Jeff
IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
who says gm only makes "transformers" editions lol
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
blake-b

I want to see pics of the new and improved crossmember... It might compel me to drive down to Springfield and have it done... by you of course!
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I want to see pics of the new and improved crossmember... It might compel me to drive down to Springfield and have it done... by you of course!
Springfield meet, and wrench

You know whats coming.......

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSjeff View Post
Thanks! Nothing as complex as a turbo kit ever goes 100% smooth right out of the gate but we are here to take care of any and all issues right away. My apologies for the missing feed lines but glad you got them quickly and are back up and running
Jeff
No complaints at all. You guys have been great. You have even gone to the extent of texting me to make sure I am doing well on the install. I'm not sure that anyone can expect more than great service and excellent parts.

I would bet you a thousand bucks that you can not get that intercooler pipe to touch metal somewhere.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I'll try to get some pics soon. I would be happy to explain how to do it yourself. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, it will cost you 1 cold beer for me to do it for you. It is not that complicated.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
blake-b

Quote:
I'll try to get some pics soon. I would be happy to explain how to do it yourself. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, it will cost you 1 cold beer for me to do it for you. It is not that complicated.
I can happen to be in the neighborhood sometime because I want a ride in your car.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote